Use Freego on throttle only?

ElectricAlan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2017
Somerset
I have newish FreeGo Hawk, which I love. I test rode an older Freego folding bike before buying this one and I could ride that on throttle only, up to approx 15mph, but I can't on my newer Hawk? Am I missing something here?

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you missing the throttle? ...or do you have one that only goes to 4mph?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alan, in Dave's absence, I'll have a go at explaining.

The 4mph or "walk along" control is allowed by European regulations to assist pushing the bike when walking along side. Strictly speaking it should not be used to power the bike when a rider is on the bike, however that would be hard to regulate. The throttle can be used when you are cycling (turning the pedals forward) as it is then consideted an assistance regulator. On the FreeGo (and Wisper) when you twist the throttle when cycling it will work the same way a full throttle would. Overriding the power setting on the LCD. If you stop pedalling forward the throttle will not work.

All the best, David

ElectricAlan

Jan 27, 2017
Somerset
Hi Alan, in Dave's absence, I'll have a go at explaining.

The 4mph or "walk along" control is allowed by European regulations to assist pushing the bike when walking along side. Strictly speaking it should not be used to power the bike when a rider is on the bike, however that would be hard to regulate. The throttle can be used when you are cycling (turning the pedals forward) as it is then consideted an assistance regulator. On the FreeGo (and Wisper) when you twist the throttle when cycling it will work the same way a full throttle would. Overriding the power setting on the LCD. If you stop pedalling forward the throttle will not work.

All the best, David
Thank you for the explanation David, the penny has dropped and I get it now.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you ring up freego, they might tell you how to change the setting to make it a normal independent throttle. There's a setting in the LCD to change it.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Corinne

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Leeds
I have newish FreeGo Hawk, which I love. I test rode an older Freego folding bike before buying this one and I could ride that on throttle only, up to approx 15mph, but I can't on my newer Hawk? Am I missing something here?
I have another make of electric bike that only did 4mph on the throttle. Absolutely useless for starting off especially on an incline. I asked the dealer and they showed me how to change it back to 15 mph on the throttle only. Hope you get some joy.

Reactions: msf1344

msf1344

Dec 31, 2020
I have another make of electric bike that only did 4mph on the throttle. Absolutely useless for starting off especially on an incline. I asked the dealer and they showed me how to change it back to 15 mph on the throttle only. Hope you get some joy.
Hi , Could you please tell me how to change the throttle parameter setting ? Thanks

Advertisers