Using a folding pedelec for commuting

gr1mb0

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2007
My recent post re: selecting a bike highlights my intention to go for something MTB-like... a direction led by heart rather than head!

However, as my intended use includes commutes in London, my head tells me I should also consider a folding bike that I can take up on the train from Dorset (without restricting times I can travel - no bikes on any SWTrain at commute time!).

Does anyone use an electric folder (e.g. Ezee Quando) in this way? If so, what is your experience e.g. does the bike really fold small enough, is it light enough, what issues do you face, etc.?

Depending on the answers, I may have to broaden by test rides a little...

Many thanks for sharing your views.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
You'd need to check if it's allowed by your train operator. The "bikes on trains" leaflet issued by National Rail doesn't say anything relevant, but First Great Western's "bikes" leaflet specifically says they don't carry "motorised cycles". If you decide to try it, better get a cover that completely conceals the bike.

I've never owned an electric folder, but last year I made a few train journeys with a non-powered Dahon folder, 20" wheels, bike weight 13.5 kg. I found it a heavy, awkward package, especially when carrying other luggage as well. On the strength of that experience, I sold my Dahon and bought a lightweight (10.4 kg) Brompton, to be my "multi-modal" bike.

If you think train travel with an electric bike would be useful to you, try these questions: Can you lift the bike one-handed, get it up a step and through a door, maybe manoeuvring past other people? If not, can you do it two-handed -- and will you always have both hands free?

Mary

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At around 25 kilos, 55 lbs, an electric folder like the Quando is a tough proposition for taking on a train, not easy to pick up, and especially not with one hand. When folded it's very much larger than something like a Brompton, and unwieldy to pick up as there's nothing convenient to hold onto at the point of balance.

A to B magazine who strongly encourage commuting with folders have expressed similar reservations about electric folders. I think of mine as a car boot folder, I don't mind lifting it over a step at most, but certainly wouldn't want to carry it while walking or up a stairway. They've tentatively suggested that the battery could be removed so that could be carried in the other hand, but didn't seem too enthusiastic about their suggestion. That would still leave an awkward to hold 21 kilo bike and preclude anything else being carried.

Obviously your route will come into it, and whether it entails long walks into stations, awkward doorways, footbridges, escalators or the like.

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
You might want to speak to tony castles. He's done quite a few electric modifications of bromptons and various other folders. at electro-drive .:07974 723996:..

If you want to go the diy/kit route I can think of a combination that will weigh in at 15kg but the build cost would be something like £1500:eek: . light does not come cheap.

gr1mb0

Apr 22, 2007
The Dahan/BionX package looks great... not sure that it would be allowed on our trains at peak time here in the UK though - more of a foldable for boot (trunk) carriage or easy storage rather than commuting.

Got me thinking about options though...

Clueless

Jan 23, 2007
Folders on Trains

Hi gr1mb0

I have a Quando II and have use it for the last two weeks on the Chiltern and the Metropolitan Line railways.

I ride to Harrow on the Hill Underground Station from my home which is 4 miles from the station I then catch either of the lines mentioned above.The advantage of using the Chiltern line is there are no stairs to have to negotiate at Marylebone.

The Quando II is no light weight but with precision lifting I have found it is possible to use it for commuter traveling but you can't carry it too far IE a platform concourse !.

Cheers
Clueless

My recent post re: selecting a bike highlights my intention to go for something MTB-like... a direction led by heart rather than head!

However, as my intended use includes commutes in London, my head tells me I should also consider a folding bike that I can take up on the train from Dorset (without restricting times I can travel - no bikes on any SWTrain at commute time!).

Does anyone use an electric folder (e.g. Ezee Quando) in this way? If so, what is your experience e.g. does the bike really fold small enough, is it light enough, what issues do you face, etc.?

Depending on the answers, I may have to broaden by test rides a little...

Many thanks for sharing your views.