Using less battery power

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hello,

I've been riding now since April this year, I'm 57 and was very unfit. My Ebike really got me motivated to ride and I love it. The more I've ridden the less assist I'm using. I've now got to a stage where I've bought an un-assited mountain bike. I'm guessing this is a common trend amongst older cyclists. I still love my ebike when I hit a big hill. Comments, answers, opinions appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
There is no doubt that a 'normal' MTB is nicer to handle than an electrified one some 10kg heavier despite the fact that the latter will level out those climbs. You seem to be getting fitter as I go the other way with muscle loss making itself felt at 74! I use my un-assisted one on local runs through the woods and the electric one at trail centres as I can get more done in a shorter time without getting totally knackered.I bet one day you will be tempted by a modern E-MTB with a centre drive with which you can take on the Alps if other comments on this site are to go by!

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
I find I just end up getting from A to B faster as I get fitter; I still use the same assist.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Living in hilly Wales there's no way I'm going to a 'normal' bike. However I do ride more with power off and suffer the weight penalty. However the mileage I achieve wouldn't be possible for me un-assisted.

• Agree
Reactions: Hightechpete