Volt Metro Folding ebike

Tartanlass

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2018
Hi Experts

I've already posted but as I'm new to this site I don't know what section my post landed in lol.
Anyway I've been reading and gathering so much information from you guys that I thought I'd sign up.

Here's my need...
I'm looking to buy an ebike....last time I rode a bike must have been about a hundred years ago lol and it was just a basic bike....no gears....brakes and bell only.

So here's why I want to get on a ebike....

Like many a poster on here I have spinal arthritis but in particular I have a displaced lumber vertebrae which can on occasion cause me to collapse......I get seconds before it happens but at least I do get a warning and thankfully this will only happen if I'm standing. And because I have lumber and hip problems I will inevitably through time lose thigh muscle so to prevent this I need to get back to gentle exercising hence my thoughts on buying an ebike but only with throttle which can take over if my legs/ hips tire.

I live in Hamilton Scotland and have Strathclyde park nearby which would be ideal to practice on before attempting anything with hilly inclines ....oh and I also have asthma so if the legs don't fail the lungs might Iol hence the need for throttle on the bike too.

I would really appreciate your suggestions on a folding ebike....hence the volt metro....what do you guys think ?

Many thanks
xx

RevBob

Oct 31, 2012
My wife and I own Kudos secret folders modified with a sun tour suspension seat post, the volt comes with the same seat post. I would replace it with the
Suntour post https://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-SUNTOUR-Unisexs-SP12-NCX-Posts/dp/B00BXPMJBY/ref=sr_1_1/259-2587994-3784659?ie=UTF8&qid=1541756370&sr=8-1&keywords=suspension+seatpost

With the suntour post and the front suspension fitted to the volt you will have a very comfortable bike, along with the disk brake it will stop. However check on the volt throttle. The kudos throttle is full range, my wife has slipped discs which is why we went for a full throttle.

RevBob

Oct 31, 2012
I did try the volt and found it very good, but we needed two and the Kudos is half the price. I have the suntour seat post fitted to mynew Whoosh Rio MTB, it is a Revelation. The volt has a very similar motor to the kudos and the Rio Bafang geared motor, steep hills will always need a pedal assist in a lowgear. However the geared hubbed motors are superb, I find them better than a Bosch crank motor in this sort of application. My Rio MTB has just replaced a high powered Xipi mtb I am much happier with my assist cruising at 17 mph than 28 mph. I also find having the kudos and the Rio with the same motor makes it easier to switch. Just check the volt is a full throttle.

Tartanlass

Nov 6, 2018
My wife and I own Kudos secret folders modified with a sun tour suspension seat post, the volt comes with the same seat post. I would replace it with the
Suntour post https://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-SUNTOUR-Unisexs-SP12-NCX-Posts/dp/B00BXPMJBY/ref=sr_1_1/259-2587994-3784659?ie=UTF8&qid=1541756370&sr=8-1&keywords=suspension+seatpost

With the suntour post and the front suspension fitted to the volt you will have a very comfortable bike, along with the disk brake it will stop. However check on the volt throttle. The kudos throttle is full range, my wife has slipped discs which is why we went for a full throttle.

I've had a look at both the kudos secret and whoosh gale....seems the gale is no longer available. However re the secret I've also looked at the suspension + seatpost.....I'm 5ft 3. What size do you recommend and would it be easy for me to swap this over plus add a gel comfort saddle. Is the battery in the secret ok.
Thanks again

Tartanlass

Nov 6, 2018
I've had a look at the secret and gale....seems the gale is not available. I liked your idea of replacing the seatpost and looked at your link for it...though what size would I need...I'm 5ft 3.
Would it be easy for me to swap it over plus replace the saddle with a gel comfort one or would it best be done at a cycle shop?
I notice on the secret the battery is not the latest type of lithium cell but I'm guessing you find it adequate.
Thanks again

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I used to hire and sell some ebikes including Kudos. I always found the Secret a nice ride and had no problems with them. They don’t fold that small compared with a Brompton but for 20” wheeled bike I liked them. Batteries relatively cheap to replace but my demo bike battery was ok for 3+ years (with light use).

Tartanlass

Nov 6, 2018
Thanks guys for getting back to me re my choice of ebike purely dependent on my condition.
I've been looking at the kudos secret again...plus a multitude of others and the specs are just too mind boggling for me.....so I think I probably will go for the secret but....as re RevBob's advice ...I think I need to add a suspension post to it plus a nice gel saddle.....so what size suspension post would I need? Would it be easy for me to do this myself?
Also....as there are no stockist here in Scotland I guess I could take it to any bike shop for maintanence....yes?
I think the spare battery price is tempting too....thanks for info as well.
Thanks again guys

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I don’t know the seatpost size on the Kudos, you could email Kudoscycles to find out. Aldi and Lidl do reasonable large gel saddles for £9.99 when they have their cycling events. I’d wait for one of them.