Volt Pulse X vs Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 8-G Alfine

sunny_jay_jay

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
I am in a dilemma and wonder if anyone can help. I live in hilly Bristol and also want a bike that will definitely do around 40 miles range without skimping on the PAS. I have tried and like both the Volt Pulse X and the Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 8-G Alfine. But it is too close to call. I can't decide between them. Of course the Kalkhoff is crank and a slightly higher rated battery with a slightly larger range, but has no throttle, no disk brakes and I think is heavier. The Kalkoff has fully integrated lights but the Pulse has a much more informative LCD display. The Pulse has lock out suspension from the handlebars and 9 gears, while the Kalk has 8 gears and the lockout is down on the forks.

Has anyone any experience of these bikes please? Or any others to recommend around this price (£2k).

Many thanks.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hello, there's also the Pro Connect i10, with 10-speed XT gears, Magura hydraulic disc brakes front and back. Made in Germany too, with all that means for design, build quality, components.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/proconnect-commuter/pro_connect_impulse_10g_xt.html

We have the 50cm frame in stock now and a couple of the 55cm in Germany. I think it's likely to fare better on the local hills, plus we're close to opening a major showroom and workshop in Bristol, so you'll have local support too.

Some recent owner reviews here http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/proconnect-commuter/pro_connect_impulse_10g_xt.html#custreview

"I can now destroy any hill no matter what gradient and going further and further because i 'm enjoying my ride..."

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If you want 40 miles without skimping then it's big battery time first and foremost.
Then it's bike weight and efficiency. I got 39 miles out of a crank drive B h but needed a lot of sweat to do that. From the top of the hills North Bristol to top of the hills south bath and back.
Keeping the bike legal also helps as doing 30mph on the flat uses a lot of electric power. Or sweat.
D8vehs and pdarnet home brews are also impressive. You can really get a lot as home build in battery terms.

And welcome

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
Hello, there's also the Pro Connect i10, with 10-speed XT gears, Magura hydraulic disc brakes front and back. Made in Germany too, with all that means for design, build quality, components.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/proconnect-commuter/pro_connect_impulse_10g_xt.html

We have the 50cm frame in stock now and a couple of the 55cm in Germany. I think it's likely to fare better on the local hills, plus we're close to opening a major showroom and workshop in Bristol, so you'll have local support too.

Some recent owner reviews here http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/proconnect-commuter/pro_connect_impulse_10g_xt.html#custreview

"I can now destroy any hill no matter what gradient and going further and further because i 'm enjoying my ride..."
Thanks for that info. Looks interesting. That wasn't offered when I was in your shop in Hampton Wick yesterday, otherwise I would have tried it.

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
If you want 40 miles without skimping then it's big battery time first and foremost.
Then it's bike weight and efficiency. I got 39 miles out of a crank drive B h but needed a lot of sweat to do that. From the top of the hills North Bristol to top of the hills south bath and back.
Keeping the bike legal also helps as doing 30mph on the flat uses a lot of electric power. Or sweat.
D8vehs and pdarnet home brews are also impressive. You can really get a lot as home build in battery terms.

And welcome
Thanks for the input but I am not hands-on enough to want to do home build.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Thanks for that info. Looks interesting. That wasn't offered when I was in your shop in Hampton Wick yesterday, otherwise I would have tried it.
No, there isn't one there at the moment, the previous demonstrator ended up leaving with a customer!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Tim, What size frame is best for a 5'11" rider?
Generally I'd recommend a 50cm for a rider 5'11" or 180cm, unless you have very long legs

C

Cyclezee

I am in a dilemma and wonder if anyone can help. I live in hilly Bristol and also want a bike that will definitely do around 40 miles range without skimping on the PAS. I have tried and like both the Volt Pulse X and the Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 8-G Alfine. But it is too close to call. I can't decide between them. Of course the Kalkhoff is crank and a slightly higher rated battery with a slightly larger range, but has no throttle, no disk brakes and I think is heavier. The Kalkoff has fully integrated lights but the Pulse has a much more informative LCD display. The Pulse has lock out suspension from the handlebars and 9 gears, while the Kalk has 8 gears and the lockout is down on the forks.

Has anyone any experience of these bikes please? Or any others to recommend around this price (£2k).

Many thanks.
Hi sunny,

One of our eZee bikes would give the hill climbing ability and range that you are looking for, please take a look at what we have to offer via the following link http://cyclezee.com/ezee.html

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
No, there isn't one there at the moment, the previous demonstrator ended up leaving with a customer!
The 10G XT looks a bit of a different bike to the Alfine. Derailleurs for a start and different handlebar style. I really liked the Alfine, will I like this too? When is your Bristol store opening so I can try it out?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks, but these don't look in anything like the same league. Sorry.
Don't be fooled by looks or form over function, eZee bikes are well regarded around the world for durability, performance and reliability;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
what's so great about the Volt Pulse X anyway?
Good brakes, good battery but 8-Fun SWX, RST forks, Zoom handlebars, KMC chain, CST tyres for nearly £2000?

D

Deleted member 4366

We've been through this before. The Pulse X has a Bafang CST motor, so it has a lot more torque than the cooking version with SWX motor. Also, it has hydraulic brakes, better forks and gears, and a few other things.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Pulse X looks expensive compared to the £1295 Kudos Arriba, ugly and low tech compared to the £1800 Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro:

D

Deleted member 4366

The bigger battery on the Volt Pulse would account for a couple of hundred. It also has mudguards, rack and lights. I think the other two wouldn't look right with them.

I think £1600 to £1700 would be a fairer price for the Volt, but you can't always go by looks and a spec sheet. The Oxygen bikes are a good example of that. They just feel really nice when you ride them

C

Cyclezee

The bigger battery on the Volt Pulse would account for a couple of hundred. It also has mudguards, rack and lights. I think the other two wouldn't look right with them.

I think £1600 to £1700 would be a fairer price for the Volt, but you can't always go by looks and a spec sheet. The Oxygen bikes are a good example of that. They just feel really nice when you ride them
For £1545 you can get an eZee Forza Mk2, Torq Mk3 or Spint 8 with 37v 21Ah battery with Sony 18650 cells, eZee's legendary high torque motor, 20amp controller, 5 pedelec power settings, throttle, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, mudguards, lights etc. with 2 year warranty.
Or for £150 less any of the above with 15Ah battery or if you want to go mega range the 28Ah battery.
BTW, eZee have just announced a 48v 15Ah battery compatible with any eZee bike manufactured from 2012 with the KK handle bar console.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

The oxygen e-mate with similar specs has RRP £1500.

paying more for excellence in design or higher specs makes sense, paying more for 'je ne sais quoi' does not.

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
Thanks to everyone who replied here. It has been extremely useful. I too am going off the Pulse now, it does feel overpriced and I have also heard some issues about quality/reliability. I will also consider the Oxygen and go test it this week, though on the face of it I think the Kalkhoff crank drive looks like it will handle the hills better and the over 600Wh battery deliver more range. I have also been told to look at the new Raleigh Motus, though it is not yet available. Kalkhoff claim their Impulse 2 system is much better than the new Bosch system but they would say that - I have no idea. I feel that if I am spending £2k I really need to make a good and considered decision.

Once again, thanks for all your help.