Volt Pulse X

Covkid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2018
Coventry
Hi all, I write this acknowledging that I am new to ebikes and have no other experience other than testing a Halfords ebike and a Gtech ebike before making my purchase.
I had been eyeing up the Volts in my local trusted bike shop (Jardines in Coventry) for about 3 years and after going on a near disastrous cycling holiday in Europe where an ebike would have made it a pleasure instead of an endurance test, I decided to take the plunge. I read on this forum comments about Volt bikes being just Chinese bikes, and or being overpriced, so I have held back commenting as I am completely satisfied, in fact delighted with mine.

I find the bike to be solid as in built like a tank. It has fabulous brakes, gears, and the larger battery for extra distance although I barely tax it with my 20 miles per day commuting. It has hard wired lights controlled from the display buttons. It has 1 to 4 on the power modes plus an A setting which is what I use each day on my ride to work and home again. In A it pushes me up to the maxed out assistance level very quickly and I seem to spend most of my time when on the flats or down hills pedaling over the cut off speed and under my own steam. The bike came with mudguards and a rack. Its hub powered and I find it really easy to use. I haven't changed the seat or pedals as I read others do on other bikes because to me they seem more than up to the job for a rider of my very average standard.

I have had one problem on a ride to work one day the bike kept wanting to run away with itself even whilst walking and pushing it. I called Jardines who helped me diagnose I may have not quite engaged a gear correctly and the bike kept trying to kick in with the assistance. Jardines phoned me back a couple of times over the next few days and asked if it was ok which I reported it was.

To summarise, I am completely happy with my Volt Pulse and now my wife has a Volt Burlington so we can be a pair of Volties at weekends.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Nice report Covkid, good to hear you are very happy with your bike. How many miles have you done so far? Doing 20 miles a day commuting the mileage will rack up fairly quickly I'm sure.

Covkid

Feb 14, 2018
Coventry
Nice report Covkid, good to hear you are very happy with your bike. How many miles have you done so far? Doing 20 miles a day commuting the mileage will rack up fairly quickly I'm sure.
Ha, I am a fair weather biker so I am only on the 400 mark at present

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Nice comments Covkid, I agree with much of what you wrote. I have now owned my Volt Continental for just over three years, it feels a very solid bike, the build quality is very good, the paint job has held up extremely well, it is lovely to ride and at 6'5" tall and with a history of tumours in my nerve pathways, there was very little else on the market that could offer what I was looking for whilst still delivering a truly comfortable ride. The Volt Continental has kept me cycling when I had started to think those days might be behind me. Also, to my pleasant surprise the battery seems full of life still after 3 years, I had fully expected to be considering replacing it by now.

The only issue I've had is a few spokes pinging recently on the rear wheel, that said, the customer service from Volt in resolving this issue has been second to none (even though the bike is out of warranty). I wouldn't hesitate in returning to Volt bikes when I do eventually need a replacement, but I honestly think the bike has many years still in it, so I doubt that will be any time soon :)

Last edited:

Covkid

Feb 14, 2018
Coventry
Thanks for the support rustic, I thought I was on my own on here. My wife is waiting for an operation on her back and hasn't been able to do anything active for a year now which has driven her crazy. We recently got her a Volt Burlington and we just cycled miles through beautiful Forest of Dean. I will attach a photo of our bikes during a coffee stop.Our Volts.JPG

Reactions: misterjohn

Covkid

Feb 14, 2018
Coventry
No, I haven't had any problems at all and my wife and I are getting 10 x the amount of bike riding in compared to when we had our normal bikes. These have transformed our weekends, commutes and uk holidays. I am sure any good E bike would do the same.

Reactions: misterjohn and Nev

COLIN-D

Just Joined
Dec 28, 2014
Lancashire
Hallo , I have had the same bike as you , had it for some 6 years , motor is a bit noisey but no problems at all, my wife had a Burlingham , sold it because of vertigo problems [mistake] the best bike she has ever had , and we have had a few in more than 75 years of cycling, electric has enabled us to enjoy cycling as much as we did when we were younger . Keep going .

danny fahy

Just Joined
Oct 7, 2017
Stewkley
Hello e-bikers. I don't post much but as you're talking about Volt bikes, I thought I would step in and ask some questions. Are the spokes on rear wheels of the Pulse e-bike susceptible to breaking? I use my bike to commute 12.5 miles each way on (potholed) roads. I have had my Pulse for approx 2 years now and I have broken spokes on 3 separate occasions. I am 57 years oLd and of medium weight. I also carry a pannier with a change of clothes and other light bits when I do cycle to work. I have done approximately 2600 miles so far.
Also can I get the spokes changed on the rear wheel for more robust ones? I am also thinking about getting another e-bike if this problem persists. Any suggestions please?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
spokes break on the rear motor wheel is a fairly common gripes.
The front wheel receives far less weight compared to thee rear wheel, so unlike spokes on the rear wheel, spokes on the front wheel are never put under much stress and never break.
The cause is usually some spokes are loosened.
Spokes work like springs, in extension.
If they are loosened, they stop working and start breaking at the J bend when compressed.
Some cheap bikes use steel nipples that rust, the rust stops the spokes from being loosened in the first place and they never break. That's just a coincidence, not by design.
Most bikes have stainless steel nipples though, so you'll have to check from time to time that the spokes a well tensioned.
Loosened spokes usually squeak a little, so listen out for squeaks that come come the rear wheel. Whenever you replace a broken spoke, make sure you check also all other spokes on the same wheel and that there is no flat on the rim. True the wheel properly too.
Spokes are flexible, you can bend them a little so it's not necessary to remove the wheel just to replace a broken spoke.

Related Articles

Advertisers