Walk mode.

garywfox

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
I use it on most of my rides, there's a pedestrian only steep path which cuts around 1/4 mile off my journey. I usually stand on the left of my bike and walk alongside using my right hand to steer and my forefinger to hold the walk button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I use it on most of my rides, there's a pedestrian only steep path which cuts around 1/4 mile off my journey. I usually stand on the left of my bike and walk alongside using my right hand to steer and my forefinger to hold the walk button.
Do you think that there might a button press combination that allows you to not need to keep your finger pressed down?

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
Do you think that there might a button press combination that allows you to not need to keep your finger pressed down?
I guess not as there could be a risk that you let go of the bike and it trundles off into the sunset on its own.
For example the cruise control mode on KT controllers requires you to be pedalling to enable it (also by holding the down button) - making it much harder to accidentally engage when you're not in a position to turn it off (by braking or pressing any button).

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I guess not as there could be a risk that you let go of the bike and it trundles off into the sunset on its own.
For example the cruise control mode on KT controllers requires you to be pedalling to enable it (also by holding the down button) - making it much harder to accidentally engage when you're not in a position to turn it off (by braking or pressing any button).
That sounds feasible and you may be right. I'll test your theory tomorrow. To me, 6 kmh seems more like falling over speed for an ebike. We'll see. :)

Anyway, I want to see if I can get it to 'trundle off into the sunset.' :D

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
That sounds feasible and you may be right. I'll test your theory tomorrow.
@rich_r You're right in your guess Sir. :) Walk mode does require the button to be constantly pressed. In both of my cases, I press the down button for 2 seconds and then it kicks into walk mode. Stopping when finger pressure is released.

Remember this..

Stephen Henderson.jpg

This made me chuckle! :D

SH2.jpg

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Haven't really tried it, I just avoid hills I can't ride up. I should probably try it and see if it's much easier than pushing a non-electric bike up a hill. I used it a few times as an easy start button but soon packed that in because it's either not necessary or it's too weedy for starting on inclines or soft ground.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Haven't really tried it, I just avoid hills I can't ride up. I should probably try it and see if it's much easier than pushing a non-electric bike up a hill. I used it a few times as an easy start button but soon packed that in because it's either not necessary or it's too weedy for starting on inclines or soft ground.

There might be many reasons for using this mode;-

On a hill too steep to ride up, too wet and muddy for riding traction, going up steps, full panniers on a commuter or touring bike, crossing a stream or bridge safely, walking with a friend, broken ribs or some other injury that prevents you from riding. So, it's probably best to know if you have it, and how it works, in advance. :)

You can walk with a heavy ebike using only one hand to steer it while you keep the button pressed for walk mode. I doubt if a regular bike can be pushed up the hill in that way. I've demonstrated that a couple of times on the video in the first post above. At one point, around 57 seconds into the video, I'm briefly walking backwards, using my opposite hand on the button. Just to show how easy it actually is. :)

Last edited:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My Yamaha syncdrive has one, just watch out for pedal clouting your shin :(
Interesting. As you can see from the video, neither set of pedals, of the two bikes that I tested walk mode on, spun. Does anyone else's pedals spin in walk mode?

And 'Welcome' by the way. :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Just over a year ago, I walked home pushing my heavy bike in the pouring rain. I was knackered and eventually used my beast of burden to tow the bike for the last 2 miles. No-one told me that I had a walk mode! o_O

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
I've got it on mine, but it's a pain. You have to push the button (can't remember which one) for 2 seconds, the bike then sets off a little too fast, so you release the button, then the power is off for another 2 seconds... Using a touch of "throttle" for walk assist, on the other hand, works nicely. A throttle limited to 6kph if the pedals aren't turning and unlimited if they are would be nice. Easy enough for a manufacturer to provide but not a DIY job (controller firmware). Unless you know different?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Carrera Crossfire e-bike.. I've just had a 30 min. walk up a long climb home and I'm not happy!

I've lost all confidence in the thing and want my money back. In my eyes it's not fit for purpose if I'm left to walk home pushing a heavy lump of metal.
If you're not 'Happy', which one of the seven dwarfs are you then? :D

Most of the crossfire ebike owners are 'Dopey' for not coming here to do their research. Maybe they were too 'Bashful' at the time. Unfortunately most end up as 'Grumpy' when they realise that the Halfrauds wicked witch has had them over on this known issue. :rolleyes:

Anyway, when it works, it has a walk mode. Or should. Can any crossfire owners confirm this please.

Good luck on your next bike and I'd be looking at the traders bikes on here for starters. I've not heard of any of them cutting out mid flow.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie