Want to fit old hub motor to rear of mountain bike

Lux1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2018
I have an old powabyke with a 26” motor hub in the front wheel. The motor is strong and pulls the heavy (40kilo) bike about no problem. However I want to put the motor and wheel on my much lighter mountain bike.

The motor is slightly too wide to fit the forks on my MTB, it’ll go in the rear, but I then would need a slim cassette or even a single sprocket.

Is this possible, if like to be able to swap the original wheel back for non electric rides.

At the moment I can get the hub in the rear and it works but I’m obviously not pedal assisted or anything, - technically not an ebike then.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The motor is slightly too wide to fit the forks on my MTB, it’ll go in the rear, but I then would need a slim cassette or even a single sprocket.
it's not possible.
There is no way to add a freewheel.to a front motor.
even if you can design and fabricate a new motor cover to take a freewheel, the motor axle may not be long enough. The front motor is designed to fit 100mm dropout, rear motors for MTBs 135mm dropout.

Lux1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2018
it's not possible.
There is no way to add a freewheel.to a front motor.
even if you can design and fabricate a new motor cover to take a freewheel, the motor axle may not be long enough. The front motor is designed to fit 100mm dropout, rear motors for MTBs 135mm dropout.
Thanks Woosh, as I suspected.

I’ll use my mountain bike as it is, and the old electric bike as it is for the meantime, whilst I think about getting a proper and modern electric bike.

Related Articles

Advertisers