Wanted: "Dead" Bosch Performance Line charger....??

Julian C

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
...I'm after one for the battery plug and lead.

I'd really like to get a battery optimizer setup to maximize the life of my (expensive) Bosch 500Wh battery, but the proprietary plug has me stumped.

Let me know if you know where I can get one.

Cheers
Julian

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi.

Sorry, I can't help with your requirement of a dead charger, but I am curious about what a 'battery optimiser' is in this context?

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I assume he means some sort of balance charger but I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t balance/protection circuitry already in the battery.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

Julian C

Jan 4, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
The Grin Satiator is a class leading product from a class leading company, but I'm not sure it'll give you any further capabilities when using it to charge a Bosch battery.

What are your expectations?
Not necessarily that high, but I'd hope to get a bit more life out of the battery as they're a rather expensive item out here (in NZ) due to shipping costs associated with Li-ion batteries. Seems cheaper to get the optimizer and run the one battery longer (and in better health) than buy a second battery now.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Not necessarily that high, but I'd hope to get a bit more life out of the battery as they're a rather expensive item out here (in NZ) due to shipping costs associated with Li-ion batteries. Seems cheaper to get the optimizer and run the one battery longer (and in better health) than buy a second battery now.
I'm not sure what you mean by "optimiser". The Grin Satiatior is just a battery charger, albeit an absolutely fantastic one. However, it won't prolong the life of your battery any more than using the standard Bosch charger.

Best practice for your battery, if not too inconvenient, is to store it at 60% charge (3 LEDs) and charge to full just before you need to use it. Don't let it sit fully charged or fully discharged for more than 24 hours.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Julian C

Jan 4, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
@danielrlee - Handy tips, thanks. I guess the key advantage of the Grin Satiator is being to "charge and forget" to 80% which is handy for me as many rides are spur of the moment after work. I'm not downplaying the quality of the Bosch hardware though, that's one reason I bought the bike !!

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
Cutting up one of these and connecting one end to the Satiator could do the trick.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/Bosch-Charger-Adaptor-Classic-Performance

If don't need the high charge rates of the Satiator and wanted a cheaper option you could use a meanwell led driver power supply,

http://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/HLG-100/HLG-100-SPEC.PDF

i think they all have variable current and voltage adjustment on the case. You'd need a wattmeter or equivalent attached to the output end of the psu so you could see when the charge has finished and what voltage your adjustments are at.

I imagine they sell them locally in New Zealand.

Julian C

Jan 4, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
@Baboonking - Thanks for this. I looked at the Bosch adaptor, but it would be difficult to modify as the adaptor is female and I need a male pin layout for the connection on the Trek.

The Meanwell is an option, will keep it in mind.

Cheers