Wanted Giant Sanyo front hub motor parts

DreadPirateRoberts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2014
Hi all,

I have a Giant Twist Express with the Sanyo front hub motor. The motor has died with worn internal nylon gears (seems fine otherwise). Giant will only sell me a whole new wheel. I'm looking for a scrap motor to scavange parts from or a source for such parts?

Thanks

Johannes

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Hi, I am from the Netherlands and recognize your problem with finding parts for a Giant Twist motor. I found the mentioned gears on the site of Aliexpress but found two versions (version one and version two). I don't know if there is a difference between the two versions. My bike is from 2008. Can you tell me which version I need?

DreadPirateRoberts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2014
Hi Johannes. I used version two but I cannot remember what difference there was. Version two has brass bushes inside the planetary gears but I don't know if version one had these. Mine is from 2009 and probably the same motor.

Good luck with the repair...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Sanyo motor that Giant used in the Twist 1 and 2 models was a regenerating one, therefore having no freewheel. The later Express models have a freewheel and lost the regeneration function.

This is only a guess, but it seems to me to be likely that the gears for the regenerating one will use version one gears, the freewheeled Express model likely to use version 2, which Dread Pirate Robert found to be correct for his Express.

But as said, that's a guess so no guarantee Johannes.

Johannes

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Johannes. I used version two but I cannot remember what difference there was. Version two has brass bushes inside the planetary gears but I don't know if version one had these. Mine is from 2009 and probably the same motor.

Good luck with the repair...

Johannes

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Hi DreadPirateRoberts and flecc,

Based on your information I'm pretty sure that I need version 2. My bike has no regeneration function and also the view and the inscriptions on my motor are identical with the pictures of your motor.
So, I will order version 2 and will use your clear guideline for the repair.
Thank you very much for your help!

H1C

Just Joined
Jun 4, 2017
Dresden
I have exacly the same problem DreadPirateRoberts had 3 years ago. The gears you linked to at the time are not available anymore. Also searching aliexpress did not give any results. Is there any other source for these nylon gears?