waterproof boots.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
i was wondering what people on here use to be able to cycle in the rainy conditions we are seeing.

it thought they would need to be boots, poss mid way up my leg to be able to get the waterproof over-trousers well over the top to protect against splashes.

i have seen waterproof snow type boots, hiking boots that dont quite come high up enough for my liking and even motorcycle boots.

budget wise i cant spend much but i have seen the above for well under £30.

any thoughts?

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
wellingtons and derri boots dont really have the flexibility for cycling and derri boots also seem over my budget.

any other recommendations welcome.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Lidl had 2 designs of waterproof boots on sale last Thursday at £16.99 . Look at their site , possibly all gone by now though .

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
This a problem I have been working on, and have not yet solved to my complete satisfaction. The three main requirements seem to be
1. The lower leg should ideally be covered almost up to the knee.
2. The ankle are should be so flexible as to cause no noticeable drag when pedalling.
3. 100% waterproof when used with waterproof leggings, the feet being kept warm and dry.

I ride in trainers in fine weather. In the rain I use cheap cycling overshoes. Ebay from £10. The ones I have serve all the above requirements. they are of the same material as my over trousers. There are two snags. They are a bit baggy, and the soles are of the same material, so that if I had to walk far in them, I risk wearing a hole on the bottom. Hiking gaiters are cheap, but tend to leak when cycling. So I would recommend a well fitting overshoe with a high leg and a sole. Look at Ebay items
181030144399 and 160922206991

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I wear karrimor lightweight waterproof hiking boots from Sports Direct & breathable gaiters from T K Max.
PHP:

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
This a problem I have been working on, and have not yet solved to my complete satisfaction. The three main requirements seem to be
1. The lower leg should ideally be covered almost up to the knee.
2. The ankle are should be so flexible as to cause no noticeable drag when pedalling.
3. 100% waterproof when used with waterproof leggings, the feet being kept warm and dry.
There are not many overshoes which are long like this ... I tried a pair of these and they would most likely fit the bill (you can get them from UberGear, they are very good but they take a few days to come in .. am personally skinny and just don't like anything baggy on the lower leg but the product was good and a velcro strip running right the way up the back to hold) :

[url=http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=vaude+bike+gaiter&rlz%

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
cheapest solution i have found that works is a cheap pair of trainers and a couple of plastic shopping bags on each foot.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
thanks guys.

i went with these in the end..

Wax Mens Dodo Snow Boots Black: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories

if they still allow any water in, hopefully not, i can then get waterproof socks but this initially keeps the cost low.
With a decent pair of waterproof trousers over the top they will most likely do a decent job :cool:. Thing with waterproof socks is if any water gets in it can't get out so they can get really horrid if that happens but it's not really such a problem on relatively short rides and usually happens if you try to use them with shorts.

I don't know if I'm the only one but hate full length leggings .. it's mild enough so I only wear some longer roubaix ones which just cover my knees (which get cold) and waterproof 'long shorts' which are meant to be for kayaking but actually work really well most of the year.

@Neptune - have you seen these :

Vaude Bike Gaiter long

The material is really lightweight and easy to fasten. I don't like overshoes much - have a pair of neoprene Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier ones which fit over MTB shoes / trainers but they are tight at the sole and despite a huge wide velcro strip to fasten at the back are prone to loosening when they get very wet so they only get used if I don't want to wear my boots.

If you are out in the wet a lot and are willing to fork out, these are at the other end - but are actually well worth the money for the lack of hasstle / warmth / effectiveness trade-off :

Shimano MW81 MTB Shoes - Tweeks Cycles

I use these under the neoprene cuffs to correct as far as possible the inherent weakness in any shoes of this sort (letting water in the top when it runs down your leg) :

Apollo Europe | Scuba Diving | AV-2 Scooters | Bio-Fins | Bio-Seals | Bio-Filter

Also slap a 2 1/2 inch wide pair of neoprene ankle cuffs used for waterproof trousers with a velcro tab over the top and the end result is about as waterproof as you need if you're not doing a 4 hour ride in torrents. Works a treat and feels really snug. I don't bother with these if I wear trousers (which is pretty rare).

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
i was wondering what people on here use to be able to cycle in the rainy conditions we are seeing.
I have Merell Goretex boots, Goretex trousers, Gore Bike wear Cross II gloves and a Marmot Zion Neoshell jacket. No matter the weather I'm always bone dry and nice and warm. Condensation builds up a little on the trousers but never in the jacket.

Boots were £35 second hand, trousers were ex RAF surplus (brand new) for £15. Don't ask how much the jacket was!

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I have wellington boots but only use them when there's snow or I know my route is flooded. Yesterday I should have put them on because there were massive puddles many inches deep. I only had my normal shoes and waterproof trousers. I hope those people I passed who were sat in their cars didn't have their windows open, I went through the puddle as fast as I could with full throttle, the amount of water it threw up was unbelievable, and quite impressive!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Don't ask how much the jacket was!
:eek: .. they really do charge for those sorts of jackets - same with the eVent stuff (Mavic etc) nowadays. Are they really worth all that ? Bought an ex-Field Trials Paramo top for 70% off from the factory outlet on an auction which I wear if it's really cold / drizzly and going to be somewhere hot indoors at the other end so just want something to take off - or spending time outdoors off the bike. You do stay dry most of the time but easily gets too hot if you put real effort in and not so great without a windstopper layer under on a breezy "swift DH freewheel" ;) !

Best Winter combo I've tried so far is a single Helly Hansen Freeze 1/2 zip baselayer under (at most) a Smartwool jersey, but often on its own, with a featherweight Montane waterproof jacket on top and/or a virtually weightless windstopper Craft viz Gilet. Even with 3/4 shorts, been warm as toast last 2-3 weeks and don't feel "trussed up in clothes" which I often do in jackets. Amazing. The HH baselayer is incredibly effective - got for under £35 new on an offer, light as a t-shirt, no "internal dampness" at all.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Are they really worth all that ?
Normally I'd say no and my Goretex stuff has all been brought at really good prices (see trousers for example) but after my friends raving about Neoshell I thought I'd give it a go and spend some of my bonus on one.

I can honestly say the Neoshell jacket has been worth every penny. No condensation at all even when riding hard in damp conditions. The Goretex stuff - even though it's normally very breathable - I could regulary overwhelm - and strangeley more often when the temperature drops. I can't see me owning another jacket - ever!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Normally I'd say no and my Goretex stuff has all been brought at really good prices (see trousers for example) but after my friends raving about Neoshell I thought I'd give it a go and spend some of my bonus on one.

I can honestly say the Neoshell jacket has been worth every penny. No condensation at all even when riding hard in damp conditions. The Goretex stuff - even though it's normally very breathable - I could regulary overwhelm - and strangeley more often when the temperature drops. I can't see me owning another jacket - ever!
Interesting. Sounds good for snowboarding if I ever get it together enough to go ! Shame they don't do XS sizing - so few people do nowadays. if they are that effective presumably you don't need to fit loads of layers under. Guess there is always the option of drinking some more beer and boshing a few pies but the weight never really stays on for long ... :rolleyes: