Waterproofing

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
How would I best waterproof where the wire goes into the sensor as I noticed a gap, and reading about someone's problem after rain effected they're pedalec thought I'd better try to prevent it happening to me.
Any other tips for the rest of the kits waterproofing would be great too, thanks guys.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A blob of grease should do the trick.

Reactions: Turbnics

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rotate it 180 degrees or use butyl sealant from a tube or in tape form, it remains plyable/mouldable without cracking or drying out and remains waterproof.
Alternately try a good application of superglue around the wire entry and leave to dry overnight.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
My preference for little gaps with plastic/metal components is Silicone based grease used by Divers. It wont harm plastic and naturally sheds water - the charging cover on my battery has a poorly fitting rubber flap but the grease holds it down and water just runs off. Its not expensive, local Scuba shop will have some, or ebay at a pinch

If grease seems like a bad idea (bigger gap / movement / stress / water pressure etc) then flexible frame sealant seems to do a decent job too - I use the cheap window/door stuff from Screwfix - if needs be you can scalpel it off again

Not sure about Superglue, my understanding is it is non-filling and hardens in the absence of air, so great for some jobs but maybe not this one - Araldite has its uses (I just fixed a badly broken mudguard bracket with some) but sure is messy and un-environmentally friendly

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I'm not keen on superglue but never thought of just grease. I'll. Give that a go cheers.
Another thought is the USB on tbe battery. The rubber plug for it was mishapen that much on arrival with being squashed between the battery and the battery holder it doesn't fit and don't like the idea of water getting into it. Any ideas guys?