Watt Meter for 60+V battery?

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a watt meter that I can use with my 16S battery that reads 67.2V fully charged. All the usual Turnigy types seem to be rated to 60V. Or, will the Turnigy actually cope with 67.2V?

Cheers

Edit: Another question - can an in-line watt meter be used when charging to display the Ah replaced, like typical RC chargers do? If so would it need to be reversed so the charger is the source and the battery the load?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
Thanks for the links Nealh.

Doesn't look like I'll get a neat all in one unit like the Turnigy, these require external shunts, they'd be good for charging though (if they can be used in that application) to measure the actual Ah put back into the pack.

The one in the second link looks like it might work as it will power up from the supply voltage up to 100V whereas the first one is 40V max.

D

Deleted member 4366

That one has an external shunt. Surely, an external shunt is better?

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
There are several versions, the lowest rating of which (20A) has an internal shunt.

In response to your question, I don't know, is it? I was thinking internal was better purely for packaging reasons, I don't know what other pros/cons there are to internal/external shunts.

All a bit academic anyway unless I can find out if it can be used for recording cumulative Ah during charging.

Advertisers