Wearing earphones while cycling

mithril

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2006
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
I've a feeling this may be a contentious thread ;)

What do people feel about wearing earphones and listening to the radio/mp3 player while cycling?

I know some of you will be aghast. I have however tried it once or twice before and I do not find that I am any less able to hear traffic approaching from behind (though obviously this will depend on how much you pump up the volume).

My main problem is finding comfortable phones to wear. The usual in-ear buds don't work for me - they just fall out. I'm more of a over-the-head headphone type of guy but that's obviously out when wearing a helmet.

I'll be in the saddle for an hour or more each way when I start pedelec commuting and I want my radio!

Anyone any experience of handlebar mounted speakers?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
For ability to listen out for traffic, obviously no earphones is best!

However, if you do wear them then in-ear would be the worst choice for me as they can almost cut out most sound completely.

As you say, over-the-head is not really compatible with a helmet. During the winter I use a product called 180's - they are like a sporty version of earmuffs where the elasticated connecting band fits round the back of the neck. You could probably cannibalise a cheap pair of over-the-head phones and place them inside the 180's for a comfortable fit plus you'll still be able to hear the traffic (as long as it's not too loud of course!)

I'm believe you can now get 180's in the UK (got mine on hol in US a few years back)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In busy traffic areas with vehicles going both ways, it's not always possible to hear traffic approaching from behind and I think the safety of a bar end mirror is much better than relying on ears. Therefore I'm not against earphones in the right circumstances, though I don't use them myself.

From the computing world, the Creative Travelsound speaker could easily be adapted for bike use as it's a compact one piece stereo job with built in amp and battery compartment. It's not far off being waterproof construction and could easily be sealed completely against rain.

mithril

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2006
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Good idea flecc, thanks. Funnily enough I already own the creative speakers and rarely use them. I might give it a try. Been out today though in fairly windy conditions and I wonder how effective bar mounted speakers would be when competing with the gales about the ears.

I agree with your point about the mirror - I aim to get one ASAP.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got mirrors on all my bikes and find the round Cateye one the best, Halfords stock them. All of them have to have the plug in part filed down for the Torq standard internal bar size though, why they make them so large I don't know.

I don't think any speakers light and small enough for a bike could compete with real winds, best just whistle your favourites instead!

Last edited:

Lazybee45

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 3, 2006
Iowa, USA
headphones while riding

note that around MY home area, headphones are not considered legal while riding bikes, on the other hand, 90% of teh joggers wear them so what the heck! I have use them and like Mithrel said, I keep the volume where I can hear over teh music. you don't HAVE to have it turned up to bleeding levels anyway.

I have found headphones that wrap around the BACK of my head work and I even found a sony AM/FM radio that does this. and I also like the winter time aplication of warm ears with the head phones too. OR put in ear buds and wear a Stocking cap (Balaclava?) so they are least not obvious!

i also agree that the mirrors are the VERY best insurance against cars sneaking up on you! I am a little different. I prefer as many mirrors and as much information as I can process. I have TWO mirrors on my helmet and a mirror on EACH bar end of my Trike. (My Tour Easy does not have mirrors mounted yet) I prefer the Mirrycle bar end if I can get it. easy to mount, flexible and stays where it is put.

Using common sense is maybe the best way to avoid problems!
By the way, My recovery from heart work is progressing. today I rode my e-assist Tour Easy to the downtown library and back. whew! FIRST real bike ride in over 2 weeks! I am REALLY glad to be getting over this mess!

mark

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
I have to say I wouldn't be without my MP3 player on my commute to work, it really alleviates the boredom. I use those headphones that hook around the ears and then hang in front on your ears. They don't fall off, but are still small and practical. I don't think it makes too much difference safety wise, but then although I'm on busy roads, it's pretty much straight up the inside all the way, so there's not too much to listen out for. I also don't listen to music, but usually talk radio, not sure if that makes any diffeence to loudness levels or concentration.

mithril

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2006
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
I saw some phillips 'round the back of the neck & hook over the ear' jobbies in Curry's yesterday. Caught my eye because they only have the lead going to one side which is less cumbersome I think. Tried them out today and they're just the job. Bit uncomfortable for my left ear for some reason but I'm hoping they'll wear in or I'll just get used to them.

Can still hear traffic noise OK and even carry out a conversation.

The music really was a soul saver riding back through the pouring rain tonight I have to say ! Especially when my electrics cut out on my Torq :( (OK after a couple of minutes and a reboot though)... I've bought the self amalgamating tape that flecc recommends today so will be waterproofing this weekend.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I have a pair of them Philips ones, I got them from Ebay £14 inc del I think (I remember thinking it was a good buy).

They go around the back of the neck and rise up and loop over the front of the ear with the small sponge speaker like the traditional over-the-head phones.

I have never used them on a bike, but they have an excellent sound and are very comfortable, you never feel you need to adjust them whilst walking, you just forget you have them on (until you put down your mp3 player and try to walk off).

I shall look upon them now with new found respect!!!:)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I suppose if someone DIDNT want to use earphones, but still wanted a radio, then it should be possible to utilise a 'shower' radio in some way, after all they are waterproof...

just a thought

:)

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
On roads, no way. Bloody lethal idea.

On boring bike paths I might listen to an audio book I guess, but most of the time down riverbanks and exploring cycle routes and woods etc. I far prefer to hear the world around me...

Also how annoying are bloody runners who can't hear your bell on cycle paths. Don't be that guy!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I love music but I don't play anything while riding. I want to hear if the bike is doing anything odd - often the first sign of a puncture is a gentle hiss. You can also hear if something is touching the wheels, brakes or gears before it causes a major problem which I see as very important. My riding is purely for leisure so the soundtrack of birds singing and brooks babbling is all I need. Each to their own though.
I find walkers and joggers wearing earpieces are a danger to themselves and other trail users. I have swapped my bell for a horn in an attempt to be heard when approaching them from behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
As riding amongst other traffic on a bike you are likely to be the most vulnerable I would not want to impair my hearing. There is also the question of your concentration being impaired by whatever you are listening too. So I am in the no camp.

However I am in the minority now that does not wear a helmet while riding my bike which is another contentious debate that crops up from time to time.

Light the blue touch paper.

I think mirrors are a very useful aid but when I started riding motorbikes in the late 70's was trained to always also look behind me as well before making a manoeuvre to avoid missing anything in a blind spot and I also do that on my bike.

Reactions: robert44

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is there not a one sided ear phone option, thus allowing the unused ear to sense some of what is audibly going on about? Or is the loss of stereo a step too far, even just for when cycling?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As riding amongst other traffic on a bike you are likely to be the most vulnerable I would not want to impair my hearing.
There's a new threat now with over a quarter of a million plug in electric cars and vans on UK roads now, either full time or part time running on silent electric power. So wearing earphones won't make much difference with them approaching.

I've also ridden bicycles without a helmet for well over 60 years, plus 23 years of motorcycling without one in the pre helmet days between 1950 and 1973. But then I also smoked heavily for 40 years, including about 15 years at 60 a day and am in my 84th year, so I guess I'm pretty much indestructible.

Reactions: Andy McNish