WEBSIB for the Sierra Nevada, España

sqeeezy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2012
hello folks, this is a copy/paste from my Introduction Post---

hiya, had my first go on a hub drive kit clunker last week and am hooked.

I never considering biking here because of the hills and the heat, but I reckon an e-bike could get me out more, give me exercise, and save the planet.

I'm 6'1" or 1m85, 85cm inside leg, 85kg, looking at losing 5-10kg, live at 800m and my local shopping town is at 400m, 10km down the road.

I want to get a bike which will get me with little assistance to town and back, laden with spuds and wine, and that is capable of slowly negotiating 500m of winding slopey footpath. Top speed isn't so important as climbing power on the return journey with little assistance at a reasonable pace.
It'd be really nice if the battery lasted 3 years doing this round trip every few days.

I fancy a different bike every time I read a new rave review! So far have thought about Kalkhoff, although really have to have a throttle for walking alongside bike, a Stormer, although... isn't mid-drive the only way to go up slopes, an eZee Torq because it survived desert heat in Namibia....hmm that BH-Emotion Neo Cross looks smart; uh-oh rear hub drive...

Latest thing is I've considered buying a downhill bike (for ruggedness) and getting an Ego mid drive kit (expensive, but...)

So any opinions on feasibility?

thanking youse in advance in particular if any input from similar hill climbing types

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're handy with tools, get this kit:
Bafang BPM 36V500W Rear Driving Bike Conversion Kit - BMSBATTERY
and this battery:
36V 15Ah 40152S LiFePO4 Battery 12 Cells EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY
and you won't be walking with your bike. A bike with this kit will climb anything effortlessly whilst pulling a trailer with a month's supply of spuds and wine. You could fit it to any medium/cheap MTB - easier without rear suspension. Nothing that you can buy ready-made gets anywhere near the climbing power of this kit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Panasonic motor version of the Kalkhoffs can have an optional walk alongside throttle fitted, only ok for up to 4 mph though and not much power in that mode.

sqeeezy

Sep 8, 2012
@d8veh
cheers for that; well I've taken the easy way out just now and ordered a Tonaro BigHit, but I quite fancy building a leccybike too, so I'll look into your suggestion; looks like it should be a bit of a goer:)

sqeeezy

Sep 8, 2012
@flecc
ta mucho, I fancied the Kalkhoffs: the Germans do have a habit of making things that work properly; but have jumped in and ordered a Tonaro BigHit anyhow; the customer feedback mentioned hill climbing ability a lot, and that's what swung it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Both have plenty of climb ability, but the Kalkhoff will make you put in a third of the effort needed in high power mode, or half the effort in normal mode. The Tonaro gives you the option of being lazy.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
hmm that BH-Emotion Neo Cross looks smart; uh-oh rear hub drive...
Dont dismiss the NEO because its a hub drive I can assure you it has plenty of hill climbing ability.

But what ever you buy try and test as many as possible as one persons ideal bike is anothers nightmare

D

Deleted member 4366

Dont dismiss the NEO because its a hub drive I can assure you it has plenty of hill climbing ability.

But what ever you buy try and test as many as possible as one persons ideal bike is anothers nightmare
I would love to try the Bighit and the Neo back to back. My money would be on the Neo as being a better all-round bike. Now that I have my crank-drive running, I know what 700w feels like through the chain, but I think the pure grunt from the Neo should make it faster on the hills except for exceptionally steep ones, where I think the Bighit would keep going, if it was in a low enough gear, after the Neo stalled out.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I would love to try the Bighit and the Neo back to back. My money would be on the Neo as being a better all-round bike. Now that I have my crank-drive running, I know what 700w feels like through the chain, but I think the pure grunt from the Neo should make it faster on the hills except for exceptionally steep ones, where I think the Bighit would keep going, if it was in a low enough gear, after the Neo stalled out.
You get hold of a Neo Dave and Ive got the Tonaro.......challenge on.....you might find you have to buy me that drink you promised me after all LOL

Hmmm.....on second thoughts.....thank god we live too far apart ....I might be quick for a challenge, but I hazard a guess I might have lost that one.....but NOT through any fault of my bike :D :D

Lynda :)

sqeeezy

Sep 8, 2012
yip... more comparative road tests/rallies like the Pike's Peak would be good; doubtless they'll come in the New Electric Age..