wet feet

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I bought some Boardman stretch neoprene overboots and they proved utterly ueseless last week in a full day's riding in heavy rain. My smart leather trainers have been unuseable for 3 days while they slowly dry out - which is a shame because I thought that combination would give me what I needed for touring (using the trainers for going out in the evenings).
I already have some sealskin socks that I'm going to try but if I use them with leather shoes I'm going to have the same problem - wet shoes in the evenings. So is there a type of shoe that looks OK but is made of non-absorbent material - PVC I'm guessing. It wouldn't matter if the upper had perforations for air flow as long as the material itself didn't get waterlogged.
Mike

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Mmm
I wear Solomon walking boots and they never let in water
Not everyone’s cup of tea thou

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Goretex walking boots and Goretex gaiters work for me.
Dave.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Yeah I guess so and I have Gore-Tex motorcycling boots I could wear but if they are the only footwear you plan to take they are a bit clunky for the ‘apres ski’. Also although my motorbike boots are brilliant at keeping the water out the outer leather gets soaked and takes a long time to dry
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Just been out and tried the motorcycling boots and they were OK - didn't impede my cycling at all and a good height up my calf and no rubbing. Bit warm though as amazingly it's 20 degrees even up here in the frozen north
Mike

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
slightly off topic hope you don't mind. I tried out my Aldi cape last weekend getting caught in a downpour. Absolutely useless. I guess you get what you pay for

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I have a pair of those neoprene things, great for the cold but was amazed how wet things got (and stayed) when commuting in heavy rain, so I have (i) waterproof leather shoes, mine are Rockports and (ii) a spare pair of shoes in my locker at work (iii) put the neoprene things on a radiator as soon as I get to work to try and get them dry - still seeking some proper waterproof covers for those really wet days

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not for cycling in thou :(
I have worn my Aldi neoprene wellies pretty much every cycle ride this year including through the summer. (It might be different if you are going on long rides. Most of mine are pretty modest.)

I simply couldn't find anything that would work better for me. Even when it is dry. I did try but nothing else was as comfortable except some of my ordinary shoes.

Assuming they are stocked again this autumn/winter, I shall be buying another pair.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
2C0C48CD-3A6E-4FE1-AD17-C133E8438FD9.png
I have worn my Aldi neoprene wellies pretty much every cycle ride this year including through the summer. (It might be different if you are going on long rides. Most of mine are pretty modest.)

I simply couldn't find anything that would work better for me. Even when it is dry. I did try but nothing else was as comfortable except some of my ordinary shoes.

Assuming they are stocked again this autumn/winter, I shall be buying another pair.
No good for me
This is as an average ride
Wellies would rub my feet to bits :)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Ordinary wellies - yes. But the soft neoprene I find fine. :)

What is it like cycling over the bridge?
Windy lol

No it’s fine there’s a good chunk of cycle path on that ride just watch out for the leaves this time of year

Reactions: oyster

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
wow am I envious of that commute!

Spent a bit of time in Broadhaven / Whitesands surfing with the kids this summer. Lovely part of the world, reminds me of the quiet Devon coast I grew up on in the 70s (before everywhere got bought/filled up with Londoners)

Reactions: oyster and Fat Rat

Advertisers