What bikes should we be looking at?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper 705 se or 905se nice at £1099, but I would go for either in Torque version and pay the xtra for a better spec'd bike.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wisper 705 se or 905se nice at £1099, but I would go for either in Torque version and pay the xtra for a better spec'd bike.
Thanks Neal,

We can also service the bikes from Brisbane at a push.

My recommendation would be to buy in Oz. Ebikes go wrong occasionally and the OP will not want to be shipping spares from the UK.

All the best, David

unzippy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2017
London
I think GST is 10% on new bikes, not sure about ebikes.

However these won't be new, they will be classed as household belongings along with the rest of our stuff in the container.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How will the batteries survive up to 3-4 months in the container being shipped ffrom Eng to Aus?
Cheers!
If you are intent on doing this, I would put the batteries through a few cycles. Before storage charge batteries to about 38.5v which is regarded as a good voltage store charge with out over stressing the cells. Your biggest concern will be 3/4 months at sea (albeit in a container) and any salty air/moisture that may occur, saline/salt is a cell killer. Place your batteries in one of those clothing vacuum bags to seal the atmosphere within.

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good idea. Couple of silica sachets too.

I wonder how they got from China to here?
Good point.

We ship thousands of bikes a year from Shanghai port and have never had any problems at all with moisture ingress. Nor have Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha who send tens of thousands from Asia. So I can't imagine there would be any issues.

I still seriously recommend the OP buys locally.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: Jerrymond

Jerrymond

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2017
Huddersfield
Good point.

We ship thousands of bikes a year from Shanghai port and have never had any problems at all with moisture ingress. Nor have Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha who send tens of thousands from Asia. So I can't imagine there would be any issues.

All the best, David
Good point David.
My brain wasn't quite in gear there.
Probably a bit of moisture ingress (red wine last night)

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Good point.

All the best, David
This is a good chance for you to evangelise your deep sleep batteries, David...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
This is a good chance for you to evangelise your deep sleep batteries, David...
Thanks, good point! Actually though, any modern battery would be OK fir the journey as long as it had been fully charged before shipping.

All the best, David

unzippy

Jul 12, 2017
London
Just to update - we bought a his and hers carrera crossfire e from Halfords when they had a deal on, £960 each instead of the £1250. We used them around London for a few weeks before packing them up and shipping to Aus.
They made it just fine - no issues with the batteries etc. Since being here I've clocked up nearly 2000 trouble free km, mostly computing and some weekend exploring.

Last edited:
Reactions: NI Phil

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Consider getting two BBS01 250w mid-drive kits with 36v batteries from Luna Mate in Perth, 1200AUD is 666GBP, buy two, then while you're still here buy a couple of donor bicycles to convert for 300 quid each and ship those over, then you'll have local motor/battery parts support. The BBS01 is a great kit you can plug into a laptop to change the settings to meet local regs.

Last edited:

unzippy

Jul 12, 2017
London
Consider getting two BBS01 250w mid-drive kits with 36v batteries from Luna Mate in Perth, 1200AUD is 666GBP, buy two, then while you're still here buy a couple of donor bicycles to convert for 300 quid each and ship those over, then you'll have local motor/battery parts support. The BBS01 is a great kit you can plug into a laptop to change the settings to meet local regs.
?

Just to update - we bought a his and hers carrera crossfire e from Halfords when they had a deal on, £960 each instead of the £1250. We used them around London for a few weeks before packing them up and shipping to Aus.
They made it just fine - no issues with the batteries etc. Since being here I've clocked up nearly 2000 trouble free km, mostly computing and some weekend exploring.