What Bosch motor for commuting?

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hello,

Which model from the Bosch recently refreshed electric bike motor range (2017 update) is suitable for general commuting? Not mounain biking or extreme activity stuff.

Commute is approx 8 miles both ways with medium hills on the way back. I had planned to get the Performance Line CX because of carrying panniers (generally in more expensive bikes) but wondering if the basic Active Line would actually be enough.

What is the consensis on which one provides best cost/performance for general commuting?

Many thanks,

D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't bother with a Bosch. A hub-motor would be better for that sort of use - cheaper too.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
best cost/performance for general commuting
I agree with d8veh, if you are looking for this, then go with a hub.
If you care about the overall riding experience (more natural feel, closer to a standard bike) then a Bosch/Yamaha motor is the way to go.

If an Active line is enough for you is hard to say: it really depends on a number of factors: fitness level, hilly road or not, temperature etc.

I suggest you try both motors before you buy.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I ride a CX and Shimano STEP (active equivanlent) an prefer STEPs on road, CX offroad everytime.STEP gentler power delivery in lower settings, better on flat or gentle hills. CX in turbo will definitely give you faster climbing speed, typically 25% -30% more.
Both will get you to work sweat free just one slightly slower on climbs.
If you are heavy and have big hills or plan to fit dongle go CX.

Like pedaling and want to ride unassisted or tour look at new quieter Active Plus.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The best Bosch for commuting is a Yamaha... Yamaha offers chainring options the Bosch doesn't and if your commuting involves the foothills of a mountain chain (mine does) then Yamaha powered bikes offer the best compromise.

A commuter with a hub motor and a pinion gearbox would be at the very top of my list though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The best Bosch for commuting is a Yamaha... Yamaha offers chainring options the Bosch doesn't and if your commuting involves the foothills of a mountain chain (mine does) then Yamaha powered bikes offer the best compromise.

A commuter with a hub motor and a pinion gearbox would be at the very top of my list though.
on the bosch motor you can have 13t to 25t but depends on the bike frame as some need offset ones or haibike specific = expensive.

most connex ones can be bought from 10 to 25 quid. or there is a dual kit option but manual change 18t and 15t dual.

DSC_0673_01.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0448.JPG
18t bosch performance with dongle tho.

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
Ihad a 250w rear hub mtb for commuting, but it failed, i then had a shimano steps road bike as a replacement.

Traded the shimano in for a Bosch powered mtb, didnt like the shimano bike.
Lovely motor but crap bike.

I have had to send the bosch back within 100km as the motor needs replacing too.
Its the performance line cruise.
Prefer it to the shimano steps e6000 i had too.

But i think the first bike i had with the hub was the best for commuting.

Then the Bosch powered one.
If the shimano was in a better bike i would probably have liked it better too, as it was very smooth.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
With a decent range of gears, the standard bosch active line will meet your needs. I always have a single pannier..

Reactions: Old1Eye

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I deliberated over which Bosch motor to go with, and ended up with the CX motor.

Im not exactly sure of the advantage of having the other motors, they all seem to just be a less powerful version of the CX, but maybe I'm wrong.

When I'm stopped on a steep incline at traffic lights, having the higher torque CX motor helps me pull away quickly and get back up to speed.

It also depends on which bike you want. I wanted a Cube mountain bike, and I wanted the Race model with the higher number of gears and better suspension, which just happened to have the CX motor. So the decision was made for me.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks to a post on here, I have been enlightened to the Trek Super Commute 9.

Which is a rigid hybrid type ebike, with Bosch CX motor and 500w battery, and the icing on the cake is the Nuvinci CVT igh, so none of those pesky last century derailleur gears to have to contend with.

Downside is the price, around £4k at the moment, but hopefully it will come down during 2018.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget about its other new feature: the special quick-wear crank bearings.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, I noticed that post d8veh, seems that the BB Bearings have some built in obsolescence.

Not a problem if they are user servicible, or if your LBS is willing to do the job.

On my none ebike I have the SKF isis BB, as they came with a 10 year or 100,000km warranty which ever comes first.

Of course at the time other makes of isis BB were lasting for not many miles, with only 12 month warranty.

Sadly SKF no longer make these legendary isis BB's and sold all remaining stock to Compass Cycles in the U.S.

The price of the SKF BB's has rocketed from £69 to £139! if buying through the UK dealer.

Wish I had bought two at the time, although my current SKF isis BB has been on the bike since 2004, and is still in fine fettle.

As they say, they don't make them like they used to do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

As I said in the other thread, it's possible that Bosch solved the issue on the next gen CX motor.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As I said in the other thread, it's possible that Bosch solved the issue on the next gen CX motor.
One hopes so, although some of the failures appear to be on 2017 bikes.

The ISIS standard bottom bracket as used by Bosch has never caught on.

Manufacturing quality comes into it, but the bearing race is relatively small which means - like orginal Mini tyres - it tends to wear quickly because it's going round so many times.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Interesting though, that both the Bafang OEM, and Yamaha motors are now using isis for the crank interface, rather than Square Taper.

I have been using isis cranks since 2004 on my none ebike, it's a very good interface, it's only downside for none Ebikes was the short life of the BB.

Although as has been proved, bearing manufacturer SKF, came up with a Isis BB which was fit for purpose, and I can testify to that.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
ive got a converted rockhopper with a bpm rear hub and my mate has a new cube cross pro with the bosch unit. we both ride a 22 mile round trip to a local city and we both agree the hub is a better and easier ride. a whole lot cheaper too