What chain 11 speed?

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
So it's new chain time. I got 500 miles out of the original but have no idea what it was, possible slx. My second chain was kmc x11e and that's lasted 3-400 miles.
Any recommendations on what to try next?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Unless you've missed some noughts off your mileage figures you seem to be eating chains.

That being the case, the obvious answer for a replacement is the cheapest one.

I'd be inclined to look into buying a bulk workshop roll of chain.

Last edited:

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Does seem a bit low in terms of mileage, but a lot will depend on terrain and cleaning.

I have never thought there was much difference between the low cost SRAM or KMC chains.
The cheap ones last just as long, might weigh a bit more and no so shiny.

Did you use a Park chain checker tool to measure?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If Bosch drive you need to change chainring with chain. Cassettes should be good for 2-3 chains.
I've only used KMC e11, expensive but they've never broken, yet to try Shimano chain. Chainlife much same as you 1200kms at 0.75 mark

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Makes me wonder if going 9 speed will last any longer. I'll try a Shimano XT chain and instead of motorcycle chain lube I'll try some light weight oil.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Cycle-Bike-CN-HG601-105-5800-11-Speed-Chain-116-Links/191958929920?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bought one of these to try. It specifies Ebike on packaging.
Not been put on yet, will go on after the OEM KMC 11e needs replacing.
I can see a chain wearing out in 500 miles, it all depends on how long you ride in wet muddy conditions. Three hours in gritty conditions with the extra power of an electric motor will definitely take its toll on any chain.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Makes me wonder if going 9 speed will last any longer. I'll try a Shimano XT chain and instead of motorcycle chain lube I'll try some light weight oil.
Some suggestion motorcycle lube is not ideal for a push bike as it's too thick.

Lots of competing chain lube methods.

Light oil and a regular wipe with rag is probably as good as any.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom Rae

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Both my bikes are 11 speed and I usually buy whats on offer at the time of need. Road bike is a typical compact double with Yamaha power and off road is a Bosch gen 2 with the small sprocket. Road bike is at 2400 miles and MTB is at 2000 miles (note Miles , not KMs) Chains seem to do about 1000miles and are changed before they get too worn and subsequently I am still running the original rings and cassettes on both bikes. I should add that the MTB only suffers mild off road but does get into a muddy and dirty state and is not cleaned often enough, but I do bin the chain when the Park Tool says its done.
Interestingly, I have a spare Bosch 17t sprocket that has only done about 200 miles and at last strip down it compares exactly with the one that has done 2000 miles .. So my view is.. buy a chain measuring tool and change the chain regularly and the other bits will last a lot longer. I would also add that this is even more important on a bike that has the newer and very much more expensive cassette.

Reactions: Denis99 and EddiePJ

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I think it's a park tool that I have for measuring the chain. It has a .5 and a .75 on and I like to change it at .75.
Most of the riding I do is off road and obviously at the moment it's very wet so that would explain the reduced life of the kmc chain . The slx chain was used in the summer mostly. I don't think the motorcycle chain lube helped because it's sticky and a lot of dirt sticks the the chain and cassette.

Related Articles

Advertisers