What Chain Lube?

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I use any oil that I have in the garage, the stuff from the bike shop is just a rip off if you ask me.

I oil chain when I go out then clean the chain with WD40 and a rag then oil back up, got just under 2k and all of this in the woods and chain still looks like new.

D

Deleted member 4366

I just cannot understand why people want to go to all this trouble of cleaning chains and applying snake oil to them at huge expense. All you need is a squirt of gearbox oil (hypoid 90) whenever the chain sounds like it needs it. It's the same for motorbikes.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
All you need is a squirt of gearbox oil (hypoid 90) whenever the chain sounds like it needs it. It's the same for motorbikes.
Hypoid90 being as thick as it is, would it be possible for it to not get into the inner workings of the links where it's needed when squirted on?
I left my chain soaking in it for a while and as you say it is very good and long lasting but am going to try squirting it on soon and am thinking it could do with thinnig a touch with something, any ideas or simply not necessay?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hypoid90 being as thick as it is, would it be possible for it to not get into the inner workings of the links where it's needed when squirted on?
I left my chain soaking in it for a while and as you say it is very good and long lasting but am going to try squirting it on soon and am thinking it could do with thinnig a touch with something, any ideas or simply not necessay?
I mix unused engine oil with paraffin in a big jar and let it soak overnight, then hang it up on a nail to drain for a few hours.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I can't stand the smell of EP90/gearbox oil, so any other oil for me and they can keep that rip off stuff on the shelf.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think it makes any difference. My chains last for many thousands of miles and only cost £9. I can't see that any improvement is going to be worth the effort.

To translate that. It's a lot less effort to give one squirt every three months and put a new chain on every three years than it is to take a chain off, clean it and soak it in oil, or do anything else every few weeks to gain maybe 500 miles extra from it - and a lot cheaper too.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
My chains last for many thousands of miles and only cost £9.
Don't want to take this thread off topic but Halfords currently have KMC Z8S chains on sale for £5.91 click&collected. (less 3% through topcashback too)

Related Articles

Advertisers