What climbs steep hills slowly?

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
You should take a look at our Compacts - in particular the Compact Plus, which is better suited to your height. You should of course take a test ride to confirm best fit for you.

We have some without the Aikema motor (prototypes) that are available off-line (phone us), nearer to your price point at £1,155. Aikemas are now out of stock. These can be fitted with a throttle too...
Will the Aikema version be available with a throttle? Which type of throttle? How steep do you think it'd go without pedalling.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I was talking about turning the pedals without effort. My test was done just spinning the pedals and the motor doing all the work on a very steep (Basque Country) hill. It managed 7-9 km/h IIRC.

There are electric mopeds on the market, no pedals, very quiet, but a 125 cc four stroke is probably more convenient. And MUCH cheaper...
I think I get what you mean now. Gonna stick to a hub motor I think; I can probably get a bike with a hub motor that's close to what I want. Don't want a moped for many reasons, like wanting to go where mopeds can't.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Wow ,Tolstoy would have been impressed.
I will keep it short....our Kudos Secret will do most of what you want,we still have some 2016 models available with full speed throttle,
I am 16 stone (yep lost a bit due to cutting out the red wine),my own Secret bikes will go up very steep hills with minimal rider input.
I did a full review ages ago of using these bikes in the Greek mountains,perhaps someone clever can find it.
The Secret must be one of the best selling 20" folders in the UK,we have progressively improved it with a bigger battery,dual height seatpost and bigger chainring but the same original concept.
price £795.00 incl vat and delivery.
KudopsDave
It's made it to my shortlist.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Will the Aikema version be available with a throttle? Which type of throttle? How steep do you think it'd go without pedalling.
To special order, yes - our standard half grip throttle. It's impossible to say how steep, especially since a full speed throttle isn't legal in the UK. You'd have to try it!

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
To special order, yes - our standard half grip throttle. It's impossible to say how steep, especially since a full speed throttle isn't legal in the UK. You'd have to try it!
Is the Aikema in the Compact the same >40nm one that's in the Roller? And what's the controller, 15A? 17A?

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Yes, the same as Roller and 18ah controller.
Seems quite a meaty little bike. I'm liking the sound of it.

Is the controller in the battery or is it in the base plate the battery slots into? Just wondering about ease of upgrading when battery replacement time comes around...though upping the volts and amperage maybe be overkill.

I suppose the half-twist throttle would be the one pictured on the Compact Click. What does the red button do? I've never ridden an ebike.

If I decide to spend that amount on a bike it's going to be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the funds. So I've got some time to think again about whether I'm OK with only cycling on roads and farm tracks and not being able to zip around over the pine cones or drop off the bankings. Most of the off tarmac routes around here would probably be OK but I can think of a couple that would be off limits.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Seems quite a meaty little bike. I'm liking the sound of it.

Is the controller in the battery or is it in the base plate the battery slots into? Just wondering about ease of upgrading when battery replacement time comes around...though upping the volts and amperage maybe be overkill.

I suppose the half-twist throttle would be the one pictured on the Compact Click. What does the red button do? I've never ridden an ebike.

If I decide to spend that amount on a bike it's going to be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the funds. So I've got some time to think again about whether I'm OK with only cycling on roads and farm tracks and not being able to zip around over the pine cones or drop off the bankings. Most of the off tarmac routes around here would probably be OK but I can think of a couple that would be off limits.
All our bikes have controllers separate from batteries, so battery upgrades are easy. The red button simply isolates the throttle for those who don't want to use it.

You really should take a test ride!

And you need to know we now only have the Bafung powered Compact and Compact Plus in stock (aikema arriving in July). Prices updated at our website to reflect this.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
o I've got some time to think again about whether I'm OK with only cycling on roads and farm tracks and not being able to zip around over the pine cones or drop off the bankings.
there are few bikes that can do that.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
there are few bikes that can do that.
Drop is the wrong word really. There is banking beside a disused railway here. There are grooves in it in several places made by bikes so not a vertical drop...but you wouldn't want to take a folding bike down them.

Anyway, the last time I went down a steep bank on a mountain bike, my front wheel came to an immediate halt on a tree part embedded in the earth and I was catapulted through the air. Had muscle and tendon problems for at least a year afterwards. At forty-eight with flab I'm not sure I should be whizzing over the local hillocks and rocks.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
All our bikes have controllers separate from batteries, so battery upgrades are easy. The red button simply isolates the throttle for those who don't want to use it.

You really should take a test ride!

And you need to know we now only have the Bafung powered Compact and Compact Plus in stock (aikema arriving in July). Prices updated at our website to reflect this.
Having the controller in the battery might be handy for numpties like me. Because you know they are both suitable for each other and only have to slot the battery in. You just have to make sure it's a good one for the motor.

If I chose your bike I'd wait for the new one. I like the sound of the Aikema.

Reactions: JuicyBike

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
there may be one folding bike that can drop that much and climb reasonably well.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017
This is an interesting approach: 'Note: legal requirement means that you have to rotate the crank from time to time to keep the throttle active.' How does it work, is there a specific amount of time after not pedalling that the motor cuts out? When you move the crank with the throttle twisted down is there always some resistance ie. are you applying force or just spinning freely?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
on a bosch motor bike you just have to make the pedals go round and make sure you are in the right gear b4 a climb.

at 15 mph you will hardly notice it but i ride my bike around at 30mph and that does take effort and drains the crap out of the batt.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
on a bosch motor bike you just have to make the pedals go round and make sure you are in the right gear b4 a climb.

at 15 mph you will hardly notice it but i ride my bike around at 30mph and that does take effort and drains the crap out of the batt.
I'm confused. Everything I've read about such bikes says they work on torque sensors where the motor responds according to your level of input.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats why there is 4 assist modes on my bike in turbo hardly any effort is required bar making the pedals go round in the right gear.

this will also help build up muscle over time and then you will start to use lower modes.

tho you really need to test ride some fist as some like them and some dont.

• Informative
Reactions: topographer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015