As title which crank drive is best for a mountain bike
Obviously reliability would be top of my list followed closely by power
Any advice would be gratefully received
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are after market kits so only suitable for DIY/homebuilds or Darren at Brightonebikes offers a bespoke supply and fitting service.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
They are after market kits so only suitable for DIY/homebuilds or Darren at Brightonebikes offers a bespoke supply and fitting service.
Ah right
I think I'm more of a buy and enjoy type than a build type

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Manufacturer drives are limited to four.
Most common are Bosch and Yamaha, it appears the Yamaha is the more reliable one.
Shimano Steps system is out but not many use it on mtb at the mo, Wisper bikes are about to introduce it on their new range of pucker mtb's.
The other big player is Bafang having dominated the diy kit mid drives with BBS range they have a max drive unit like the other 3 above which is only really available for OEM bikes with a special frame to accommodate the unit, again bikes with this unit are scarce or not on the market in western countries.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Thanks for that
I shall have a look about
I had been looking at a Giant bike with Yamaha but as yet have not tried any of the makes so I will have to get some test rides in and see what suits

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is another player Brose similar drives to the others but again they appear to have had issues and another 20 or so other drives that aren't very common or well known to most on here.
Panasonic, AEG are well known names but not many bikes appear with these drives though several years ago Panasonic was king, DAUM are big with Kalkhoff but have also issues.

A guide to market mid drives.
http://www.electricbike.com/2014-mid-drive/

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Depending what you are looking for but we have some eMTB's on offer. We sell within 2 hours of our location (Cromer,Norfolk). In terms of reliability we normally find Bosch to be the best having predominantly dealt with them and Yamaha for eMTB's. Bergamont do a really nice range of e-bikes with the Bosch system. The bikes we have on offer are Haibikes, we have one full suspenion left, two hard tails and one fat bike full suspension. DM me if you want more information. Have found Bosch to be very good if there is an issue.
Thanks Dave.

Reactions: Fat Rat