What cranks on Bosch?

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
My pedals keep hitting the floor on my KTM kapoho. I'm thinking about trying shorter cranks. What is the crank fitting called?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Sounds more like a shock problem,How much sag have you got on your rear shock and forks,are you on the "heavy" side

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Sounds more like a shock problem,How much sag have you got on your rear shock and forks,are you on the "heavy" side
Ok cheers. The rear shock has 30%sag but I'm not sure about the front. What sag should the forks be?

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Ok cheers. The rear shock has 30%sag but I'm not sure about the front. What sag should the forks be?

Can you get Isis cranks without the spider? I'm thinking about trying 160mm if I can find some. The motor works better with high cadence anyway. I bent a new set of pedals the other day and nearly broke my toe yesterday.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The problem is crank center for Bosch drive is lower than normal bike. I'm always hitting rocks and roots, rarely happens on normal bike.

160mm sounds like good place to start.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Are you hitting rocks and roots or the floor ?
30% sag is the recommended setting. 25% on forks
Are you measuring your sag with all your weight on the bike
(rucksack etc)

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I don't carry a rucksack so it can't be that. I don't see what it can be other than a design fault of the bike. The 2018 bikes have 160mm cranks .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I can't see any 160 mm cranks on bike discount. I just measured mine and they are 170. I weigh 15 stone and they hit when cornering and the odd root or anything sticking up from the ground. I've been riding bikes of all sorts since I was 5 and I've never had one hit as much as this one
Edit:
I've just pumped the shock up another 50 psi (now at max) and the rear is 25% and the front is 20%. I will see how that goes, one thing is I have been riding it with compression damping on minimum but I haven't noticed much bob and the rear has never bottomed out.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what psi do you have in the shocks as it sounds like you are bottoming out if off road.

you can add volume spacers if you want to make the sus more progressive.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It is seemingly quite a common practice to change the pedal crank length for this very reason.

Personally, I have never found it an issue, be it riding around my local terrain, or in rocky terrain found in the alps. I tend to look at the terrain ahead, and use my pedal stroke accordingly to miss any potential obstruction. I think that in four years of riding an eMTB, I have only had two pedal strikes. On both occasions it was my fault. I also use a clipless set up which possibly helps.

http://www.mirandabikeparts.com/products/ebike-parts_24

Last edited:

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I was at the NEC Cycle Show today and had a go on a Cube ebike with both front and rear suspension, and my pedals were grounding on the floor when going over bumps.

Now I'm a big bloke, and they pumped the rear suspension up to the max, but it didn't help. It was so bad that I stopped and handed the bike back before my demo time was up.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wonder if we are assuming too much. As a youngster I did a fair bit of cycling and found out at an early age that when cornering always keep that side pedal up and any kerb or other object will bring about an unplanned dismount if you get there on the downstroke. Once learned, this lesson is like riding a bike.. do it enough times and you won't forget. So, years later this painful lesson learned long ago means that without even thinking about it I automatically adjust my pedaling to avoid contact. I didn't even think about it till i read Eddie's post, and of course not everyone has experienced the skinned knees from being tipped of a bike sideways..

• Agree
Reactions: argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
When cornering I tend to transfer weight to the outside pedal, this raises the inside pedal from obstacles and pushes the tyres into the ground giving more grip

Related Articles

Advertisers