What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

• Lock (never mind the kind)

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Alarm system

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • GPS tracking

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I take the battery with me

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • I take bikes with me

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

Coffee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
Just think would you leave the cash value of your bike poorly protected :(
try and buy the highest rated lock you can afford
two separate locks are better than an all in one
one d lock and one chain with a separate padlock will take longer to cut through
Thanks Peter, thats sharp thinking, ;)
I will keep this in mind when shopping.

Dave.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Bike at station rhododendron 009.JPG
This Haibike has been left regularly by a commuter at a station in Surrey I use for over a year without mishap, although I would not do it myself!

Mehmet Comek

Sep 8, 2018
Bristol
I am planning to buy my first e-bike for commutes soon and this is one of my biggest worries. Theft is always an issue and spare parts aren't really cheap. I am planning to use multiple locks to protect the battery and the e-bike itself but I think I will also buy an e-bike GPS tracking system.
If not removed or detected, at least it gives you the chance to get your bike back or even stop a theft attempt given there are a lot of alerts and notifications.

Reactions: budsy

Mehmet Comek

Sep 8, 2018
Bristol
Thanks for the advice, I guess that will be the smart thing to do.
I am just very forgetful sometimes and I am worried that I will forget to take the battery with from time to time. Having children and a busy work is really distracting.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I am planning to buy my first e-bike for commutes soon and this is one of my biggest worries. Theft is always an issue and spare parts aren't really cheap. I am planning to use multiple locks to protect the battery and the e-bike itself but I think I will also buy an e-bike GPS tracking system.
If not removed or detected, at least it gives you the chance to get your bike back or even stop a theft attempt given there are a lot of alerts and notifications.
Have you found a tracker that you like??

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the advice, I guess that will be the smart thing to do.
I am just very forgetful sometimes and I am worried that I will forget to take the battery with from time to time. Having children and a busy work is really distracting.
I hear that - I have four ages 8 and under!

A guy lost he bike near me with 7 locks on. Expensive haibike too. I couldn't believe it , 7 locks !!

Except they were all from poundland.....

Honesty one or two proper good locks are you done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mehmet Comek

Sep 8, 2018
Bristol
Have you found a tracker that you like??
I have actually, I know a reliable company that my friends and family use for their cars and they just added an e-bike tracking package for a really good price. https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/electric-e-bike-scooter-gps-tracking
This is the package I am talking about and it pretty much covers everything so I won't have to deal with the details.

A guy lost he bike near me with 7 locks on. Expensive haibike too. I couldn't believe it , 7 locks !!
That is hilarious :D I totally see myself doing it too. Hopefully, I will be more responsible once I buy my bike because they cost a lot of money!

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
CCTV is the best thing since sliced bread , one that doesnt stand out like a sore thumb and if your bike is locked in a shed then CCTV hidden cam shall catch who ever the scum is who tries to break into the shed ... Outer fencing and gate is always locked at night time with a secure heavy padlock anyhow even if they get inside by climbing over a 6 ft fence / gate to get inside and yes they could use a bolt cutter on Gates lock and the bikes lock ...but Cctv would catch whoever it was :) Thats your best line of defence is a camera pointing straight towards the area where your shed doors are :) Battery would always be kept in house though ..

Last edited:

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
So this is a cool question:
I cant currently drive so my ebike is my primary way of getting around. I need to leave it outside shops and train stations etc.
So the £3K bikes are a no no for me.
My ebike is built on a Yose Power rear kit. The kit cost me £365 new (including battery). The bike is an old hybrid (worth about £50)
Add the cost of some small items like brake pads and a new tyre/ gear cable etc it is probably about £520 all in.
It will easily do 40 miles on a mid level assistance setting on a LOT of hills!

Theft proof was my no 1 requirement. So this is my setup:

1. 2 x really good locks, 1 chain, 1 D - lock (this is an additional cost)
2. Always take the battery with me
3. I have setup the LCD to be able to easily removed, if going to be away for a prolonged period of time.
4. I am sometimes conscious of constant unplugging my LCD, so the fall back is an old pair of manky oily underpants that I wrap around the display to cover it for short stops.
5. Make the bike look as least like an ebike as possible. I use rubber black tape on the wiring that makes it look quite non ebike ish
6. Park it under CCTV or where it is harder to thief
7. Park it next to bikes that clearly are worth a lot more!

And the final one, which I believe is the secret.

8. Make it look like a bag of **!!!!

I actively do not clean the frame (only the motor), so it is quite muddy. I have deliberately scratched the frame and pealed off the branded names.
I have also stuck some parcel tape and a few "my little pony" girls stickers around the frame. (if someone does nick it then they have the humiliation of riding it looking like a 6 year old girl!)

Conscious this is not for everyone, but anyone who needs it as a must it might help!

I will try and get some pictures or make a little video

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think Dutch people do the same. If they get a new bike, the first thing they do is make it look very second hand. I have an old Emate City from 2011 that looks very sad but actually works a treat and looking sad combined with a good D lock has proved to be a good theft deterrent so far. If I am catching a train this is the bike I leave at the station.

Oxygen Emate City 001.JPG

Locked up next to a nice shiny bike which would you nick?

Last edited:
Reactions: FrodoBaggins

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think Dutch people do the same. If they get a new bike, the first thing they do is make it look very second hand.
I agree with the principle. And of course, that's what the canals are for.

Sanjuro

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2018
I think Dutch people do the same. If they get a new bike, the first thing they do is make it look very second hand. I have an old Emate City from 2011 that looks very sad but actually works a treat and looking sad combined with a good D lock has proved to be a good theft deterrent so far. If I am catching a train this is the bike I leave at the station.

View attachment 41505

Locked up next to a nice shiny bike which would you nick?
Making it look second hand is not a deterrent neither is the dlock really they still nick parts off it. Happened to me twice with a crap 30 quid mountain bike and a 200 quid one, where they stole the forks and the handlebars and the disc brakes.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
A decent chain locked onto something immovable, normally through the frame & back wheel. Swap the quick release seatpost clamp for a bolt up clamp. I know the front wheel can be removed in seconds and is vulnerable. Battery is never removed, bike gets charged in the garage and kept either there chained or moved into the house when charged.
I left it chained up outside overnight twice last year, once in the enclosed courtyard of a hotel I was stopping at, once chained to the back bumper of my mates campervan in a secured campsite. Neither are ideal but I was touring away away from home ...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anyone tried an AirTag, I was thinking of putting one in the battery case.
I have - but not for a bike.

I use one on bag I carry with me a lot of the time. It works pretty much as described by Apple. I did one day walk out of a café without my bag - and got alerted, went back and got it as a waiter was taking it to the office (as they should).

But it does rely on iPhones being within range.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
(snip)
But it does rely on iPhones being within range.
Just tried an experiment.
Left the phone at home, took the tag out on a busy A road, no pedestrians.
About 50 vehicles per minute, at around 40 to 50 mph.
Tracking was still achieved, just from passing vehicles with phones on board.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers