What do you think is best for me?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ongoing-reliability-of-kalkhoff-focus-impulse-2-motors.24290/

the other thread was locked but you can find it if you go back far enough.

same problems on the German site as well.

they will replace the motors if in warranty and then it will be renewed to 2 years again but if they stop making it thats an expensive boat ancor.
These are the problems I'm hearing about Cyclamatic and Freego ebikes, including my own Cyclamatic. Clucking and finally not working at all after going up not so steep hills. Hills that would be possible to pedal cycle up. But with these there are battery problems as well.

In Shoreham, I have a choice of S-Cycles, Giant, Halfords or Raleigh. Kalkhoff look the best designed for practical use than all of them and now the price compares.

Still very undecided. It all seems like the cheap computer firms when computers first became affordable. Lots of problems.

All my savings would go on one ebike, so I cannot afford to make a mistake.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
so how far do you need to go and how fast ?
By pedal bike up to 30 miles a day and top speed about 14 mph on the flat. My Cyclamatic would only go ten miles when it worked. Not far enough even for short trips. Just want to even out the inclines and cycle in a Force 5 when its not raining.

Recently I travelled by pedal bike 13 miles in uphill and 13 miles back against a gale. Too far for me now to be pleasurable. It took me well over an hour each way as well. More like 90 minutes to get back. Train strike.

The traffic is so bad, that cycling has many advantages. Car journey with parking takes an hour each way. Train (when they are not on go slow) takes the same.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
All my savings would go on one ebike, so I cannot afford to make a mistake.
...then you should do some serious market research before you consider buying something from 50 Cycles, particularly a Kalkhoff bike, or their own rebranded Beat Toga bikes, powered by the same infamous Impulse 2 motors.

Hundreds of cases reported in the UK and in Europe of reliability and breakdown issues for the Impulse II motors (which has some mechanical flaws), and quite a few coming up for the Impulse Evo motors too...

If you want to see some facts, check out this list, compiled by someone in Germany:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQ6DqHS4uXCNybjnlXZD3dOU_ylw5Qwsc0_89coCsF0/edit#gid=0

Some customers are at their third or fourth replacements, and quite a few are taking legal actions against their dealers or Derby Cycles (Kalkhoff's parent company).

As for 50Cycles, lots of horror stories, threatening of customers etc. Hardly a premium experience people think they will get when they pay so much money for a bike. They also recently decided to sell their own brand of bikes, still powered by the same flawed motor (which they perfectly know about), showing they don't care when it comes to reliability and long term customer satisfaction...

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
By pedal bike up to 30 miles a day and top speed about 14 mph on the flat. My Cyclamatic would only go ten miles when it worked. Not far enough even for short trips. Just want to even out the inclines and cycle in a Force 5 when its not raining.

Recently I travelled by pedal bike 13 miles in uphill and 13 miles back against a gale. Too far for me now to be pleasurable. It took me well over an hour each way as well. More like 90 minutes to get back. Train strike.

The traffic is so bad, that cycling has many advantages. Car journey with parking takes an hour each way. Train (when they are not on go slow) takes the same.

You obviously know a thing or two about bikes and if your cycling 2.5k miles a year I don't think you'll be doing it on a £75 supermarket bike so why don't you convert your current bike or buy a suitable bike (either s/hand or new) and fit a kit to it?

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
You obviously know a thing or two about bikes and if your cycling 2.5k miles a year I don't think you'll be doing it on a £75 supermarket bike so why don't you convert your current bike or buy a suitable bike (either s/hand or new) and fit a kit to it?
I might do a conversion? I really need a new bike though. I've found in practice, good bikes (foreign mostly) are not that easy to acquire. Strong tourer: which are recommended? My current is a heavy Claud-Butler with rim brakes and crappy disc brakes. A good runner but hardy worth a conversion. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/16885405067/ Old as well. I don't need a sporty bike which are easy to get.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I might do a conversion? I really need a new bike though. I've found in practice, good bikes (foreign mostly) are not that easy to acquire. Strong tourer: which are recommended? My current is a heavy Claud-Butler with rim brakes and crappy disc brakes. A good runner but hardy worth a conversion. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/16885405067/ Old as well. I don't need a sporty bike which are easy to get.
Looks fine for a rear hub conversion, you know the bike inside out so if you get a kit (£400/500) you should be sorted, only thing am not a fan of is front suspension forks on a bike that spends most of it's time on the road/canal paths.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Looks fine for a rear hub conversion, you know the bike inside out so if you get a kit (£400/500) you should be sorted, only thing am not a fan of is front suspension forks on a bike that spends most of it's time on the road/canal paths.
Yep, I know the bike (20 years old). Are front hub conversions possible? I need a new front wheel. Bike is probably strong enough. Almost brand new back wheel.

I am not a fan of derailleur or front fork suspension.

Roads are bumpier than cyclepaths locally. Rim brakes are not good enough for stopping an ebike or any bike at 15 mph cause cars stop quicker. That's in the dry.

Any other ebikes with a tourer geometry, hub gears, central battery, hydraulic disc brakes, 125 miles eco-mode, rack, lights etc for £1800? Preferably w/o front suspension as well?

Preferably, Raleigh, Halford or Giant as these are the only big firm cycle shops in town. Other cycle shop does not repair ebikes even the ones it sells.

A new pedal bike is gonna cost me £500+ for my spec anyway.

LIghts are not really required as they all liable to break with the inevitable fall? Bonus though.

I like the walk with power addition. For hills when it is too muddy.

Still undecided.

Last edited:

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Yep, I know the bike. Are front hub conversions possible? I need a new front wheel. Bike is probably strong enough. Almost brand new back wheel.
Yes, front conversion even more straightforward although some folk say it puts quite a lot of strain on the front forks especially suspension forks (i agree with this but am new to the ebike world) am sure someone with more experience will be along soon to clear things up.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Yep, I know the bike (20 years old). Are front hub conversions possible? I need a new front wheel. Bike is probably strong enough. Almost brand new back wheel.

I am not a fan of derailleur or front fork suspension.

Roads are bumpier than cyclepaths locally. Rim brakes are not good enough for stopping an ebike or any bike at 15 mph cause cars stop quicker. That's in the dry.

Any other ebikes with a tourer geometry, hub gears, central battery, hydraulic disc brakes, 125 miles eco-mode, rack, lights etc for £1800? Preferably w/o front suspension as well?

Preferably, Raleigh, Halford or Giant as these are the only big firm cycle shops in town. Other cycle shop does not repair ebikes even the ones it sells.

A new pedal bike is gonna cost me £500+ for my spec anyway.

LIghts are not really required as they all liable to break with the inevitable fall? Bonus though.

I like the walk with power addition. For hills when it is too muddy.

Still undecided.
125 miles from the battery???

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
125 miles from the battery???
That's what the Kalkhoff blurb says. However, the almost universal complaint from ebike users I have some across is that the bikes only do half of what they are claimed to do when new and even less after a year.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Current research has put me off all ebikes. Any success stories?

Original poster has set the specs about right. Kalkhoff ticks all the boxes except for the considerable risk on the Impulse motors.

On my test ride, the Kalkhoff performance on hills wasn't even as good as my Cyclamatic (with throttle) for the six months when it worked. However, the fault may have been caused by hill starts.

Last edited:

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I think your expecting to much from an ebike, it's not a motorbike its a bike with a small motor and battery pack which assists the rider by taking the Sting out of hills and headwinds, I've got arthritis in my hip and it was painful when peddling my bike but with the conversion I able to go out and about and keep up with the others, it's a winner in my eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
After reading the thread I think you are unsuitable for an ebike and are better off sticking to a car.
After reading more of the thread, I agree.

Reactions: IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

That Clause Buttler is perfect for conversion. It has the rear fixing for a disk brake. You can buy a pair of hydraulic brakes with everything you need from Ebay for about £40, and it's only about 30 minutes of very simple work to fit them.

Your front wheel can be repaired by any bike shop, even Halfords, or you can buy a good used one from Ebay for about £30.

I din't understand your logic. You want to spend over £1000 to get ane ebike, when you have a bike that you like and already have, and you have Brightonebikes on your doorstep, who offer conversion kits. The conversion, wheel, brakes will cost a lot less than any of the ebikes you've been thinking about.

Back wheel with hub gears if you want to change your derailleur one £80? + £20 for shifter:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alfine-8-speed-hub-on-DT-swiss-EX-5-10-rim-/302130074659?hash=item46585b1423:g:CqMAAOSwx2dYHeX2

Brakes £33:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-M2-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-set-Front-Rear-all-rotor-sizes-and-mount-option-/112098957265?var=&hash=item1a199e57d1:m:mnlnXULvOMWKrmwcy8hWxNA

Front wheel £28:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-BLACK-ALLOY-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-FRONT-WHEEL-160MM-DISC-BRAKE-/112161098487?hash=item1a1d528af7:g:nQIAAOSw4shX-Sjf

Ebike kit with battery £658
http://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/store/p28/Bafang®_BBS01B_mid_drive_conversion_kit_36V_250W.html

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
you dont want an impulse motor as they all fail and endless replacements taking weeks or longer to fix is no option there not fit for purpose.

is there no bosch or Yamaha bikes that you like?

I think I want hub gears as the chain stretches too quickly (3 months) with Derailleur. I could not see any Bosch bikes with hub gears. Most of the (Raleigh & Giant) bikes I don't like the design for the price.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I think your expecting to much from an ebike, it's not a motorbike its a bike with a small motor and battery pack which assists the rider by taking the Sting out of hills and headwinds, I've got arthritis in my hip and it was painful when peddling my bike but with the conversion I able to go out and about and keep up with the others, it's a winner in my eyes.

Even the Cyclamatic was OK when it worked. I dislike derailleur gears and I've been a cyclist for 50+ years. Brighton is only on my doorstep if I've got a working ebike. Not the Cyclamatic as the 10 mile range was not enough. Cyclamatic was OK apart from the range and the stretching chain (happens with all bikes but not as quick) and because it broke down and whatever happens cannot be relied upon now. I might pedal cycle over to Brighton when I'm in the mood. Not a thing I like to do because of the excessive traffic and bumpy roads.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Even the Cyclamatic was OK when it worked. I dislike derailleur gears and I've been a cyclist for 50+ years. Brighton is only on my doorstep if I've got a working ebike. Not the Cyclamatic as the 10 mile range was not enough. Cyclamatic was OK apart from the range and the stretching chain (happens with all bikes but not as quick) and because it broke down and whatever happens cannot be relied upon now. I might pedal cycle over to Brighton when I'm in the mood. Not a thing I like to do because of the excessive traffic and bumpy roads.
Hi the derailleur gears on the modern bikes are a delight to use. they are just click up or click down while the chain is moving. If you are unused to modern ones and were more familiar with the controls of the paddle types mounted on the down tube you are in for a pleasant surprise. At the limit of your price range are the Raleigh's captus and Motus bikes and the Motus in particular is a very pleasant ride. See other comments in other threads here. The Bosch central drive is considered reliable and I can say from my 6 weeks experience the overall riding experience is excellent. You will easily get a 20 mile cycle with 275% boost .
If you cannot abide derailleur s they also have the 8 speed hub ..

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
You need to shop around I got my Motus for less than that
Motus seems better. How long have you had it? What is its real battery range?

Has it got walk assist?

Last edited: