What do you think is best for me?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Motus seems better. How long have you had it? What is its real battery range?
Hi I got it early October and have made a number of postings. I have only done 360km so far . And typically do 30 to 40 km per trip. I suspect I am about the same age as yourself , recently retired. I usually charge the battery after each ride, and usually it is 20% or 1 bar discharged.after each jaunt. My max speed achieved is 49km hr going down hill , obviously the motor assistance switches off at 26km. I mention this because it felt very stable even at that speed and there is no drag from the motor . There are 5 levels of power assist and I usually use the touring 100% assist . This claims a range of 80km . I have just checked and my last trip as 17km , most of it into a stiff breeze and the battery is down into the second of 5bars and is claiming a current range of 59 km. While this might be exaggerated, I am not sure it is certainly the estimated range when starting , the distances I covered and the reductions in the estimated range remaining tally.
The position of the power control, is perfectly positioned for the left thumb and switching up \ down the powerassist to 275% for a nasty hill is simplicity.
I intend working up to a 50 mile cycle, and I believe this is doable with the 400watt power pack.

Power assist is instantaneous, just putting pressure on the pedals allows the metered amount of power assist , but it is graduated more pressure more assistance, like being on a tandem with a colleague who is totally in tune with you. After an hour's cycle say 20km on touring mode , I do feel that I have had exercise but not in any way crippled . I suspect that if I travelled at 15km and used turbo assist, I would not feel exercised.

I want to compare this with my previous ebike. a 2007 urban mover folder which has a 200w rear hub motor and a 6 speed derailleur. The ride is completely different. This bike gives all its power all the time while the pedals are turning as long as there is power in the battery. Then it becomes a dead weight.... If one attempts unpowered peddling, There is a continuous drag from the motor, almost like being on an exercise bike. So the initial feel is that the urban mover is faster than the Motus , until the battery gives out . The urbane mover is actually more suited for the 1km shopping trip than the Motus. I just get up on it and go..

You have to get up onto the Motus, and start a travel process, it is a tall bike . I am not explaining this well . It is more that you would say yes I am going on a trip , I am ensconcing myself on this machine and I am now proceeding. Not just as easy to manoeuvre as the smaller urban mover . However once up it is very comfortable and easy to stick with traffic.
Some of the concerns you expressed . The back carrier is designed for panniers and will take 25kg.
The hydraulic rim brakes are in my inexperienced view great they stop the bike smoothly and very quickly.
The gear shifting is a joy. Actually I tend to stick around the mid gear except when going up or down steep hills. Changing down is easier as the paddle is closer to the right thumb.
. It is fully featured with lights and mudguards and integral lock.
Everything about it indicates refined engineering and attention to detail.

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi I got it early October and have made a number of postings. I have only done 360km so far . And typically do 30 to 40 km per trip. I suspect I am about the same age as yourself , recently retired. I usually charge the battery after each ride, and usually it is 20% or 1 bar discharged.after each jaunt. My max speed achieved is 49km hr going down hill , obviously the motor assistance switches off at 26km. I mention this because it felt very stable even at that speed and there is no drag from the motor . There are 5 levels of power assist and I usually use the touring 100% assist . This claims a range of 80km . I have just checked and my last trip as 17km , most of it into a stiff breeze and the battery is down into the second of 5bars and is claiming a current range of 59 km. While this might be exaggerated, I am not sure it is certainly the estimated range when starting , the distances I covered and the reductions in the estimated range remaining tally.
The position of the power control, is perfectly positioned for the left thumb and switching up \ down the powerassist to 275% for a nasty hill is simplicity.
I intend working up to a 50 mile cycle, and I believe this is doable with the 400watt power pack.

Power assist is instantaneous, just putting pressure on the pedals allows the metered amount of power assist , but it is graduated more pressure more assistance, like being on a tandem with a colleague who is totally in tune with you. After an hour's cycle say 20km on touring mode , I do feel that I have had exercise but not in any way crippled . I suspect that if I travelled at 15km and used turbo assist, I would not feel exercised.

I want to compare this with my previous ebike. a 2007 urban mover folder which has a 200w rear hub motor and a 6 speed derailleur. The ride is completely different. This bike gives all its power all the time while the pedals are turning as long as there is power in the battery. Then it becomes a dead weight.... If one attempts unpowered peddling, There is a continuous drag from the motor, almost like being on an exercise bike. So the initial feel is that the urban mover is faster than the Motus , until the battery gives out . The urbane mover is actually more suited for the 1km shopping trip than the Motus. I just get up on it and go..

You have to get up onto the Motus, and start a travel process, it is a tall bike . I am not explaining this well . It is more that you would say yes I am going on a trip , I am ensconcing myself on this machine and I am now proceeding. Not just as easy to manoeuvre as the smaller urban mover . However once up it is very comfortable and easy to stick with traffic.
Some of the concerns you expressed . The back carrier is designed for panniers and will take 25kg.
The hydraulic rim brakes are in my inexperienced view great they stop the bike smoothly and very quickly.
The gear shifting is a joy. Actually I tend to stick around the mid gear except when going up or down steep hills. Changing down is easier as the paddle is closer to the right thumb.
. It is fully featured with lights and mudguards and integral lock.
Everything about it indicates refined engineering and attention to detail.

....... And yes it claims to have walk assist. I have tried to use this function , pressed the button on the left side control , the logo stating walk assist appears on the display but I don't seem to get any power to the motor.