What do you think of Byocycle for a new rider?

Samantha

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2016
Essex
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Byocycle, I believe it's a Chameleon with 20 inch wheels, it is on sale new for £599 which is the top limit for my budget. I haven't riding a bike for a good few years and I have a few medical conditions in my feet that cause pain in my feet and ankles, I thought an electric bike might just help me get around easier and put less strain on my feet but enable me to take my child to school or go to the local shops. There is just one hill around here but it is only a slight incline.

So I have a couple of questions:
1. Does assisted power mean I pedal a bit and then can keep my feet still but the bike will keep going until I brake?

2. If I pedal to just to get the bike moving can I then use the motor to get me up that slight incline of a hill to school?

3. For just a 5 minute ride to school up the slight hill and then a two minute ride back down again do I have to pedal at all?

4. I don't understand the new law with regard to the throttle? Is the bike Byocycle Chameleon legal because it has a throttle, the man in the shop said they won't be selling them next year is that because they won't be legal?

5. How easy is it to balance when not pedalling but moving along using the motor?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome Sam.
The law says on a new bike you have to be moving the pedals before the motor works.
I think it's a cadence sensor on that bike. So you just have to move the pedals but you don't need to press hard to get full power out of the motor.
It it has a full speed throttle then it will go without any effort but the bike will be old stock.
Either way it is easy to balance the bike without pedalling at over 10 mph.
I would be surprised if the bike couldn't manage 7 minute round trip.
The crappiest bikes sold can usually make at least 10 miles.
So old stock slight incline = no pedalling and quick trip.
New bike very little effort and increased range.
But you need to test ride the bike that will tell you everything you need to know.
Best wishes

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Hey Samantha,

Answers to your questions:

1. Does assisted power mean I pedal a bit and then can keep my feet still but the bike will keep going until I brake?

Pedal assist means you can turn the pedals and the bike will assist you until you stop pedaling, the throttle found on some of last years models, (the Chameleon I think you're looking at based on your location is the Chameleon LS (White, low step version) These were imported in December of last year (over 1000 of them, with a throttle). However we only keep 100 batteries in stock at any one time to minimise wastage, so your battery if it's the shop I'm thinking of has been in existence for 1 month. All batteries have a one year (extendable to two on our website) warranty for peace of mind.

2. If I pedal to just to get the bike moving can I then use the motor to get me up that slight incline of a hill to school?

The throttle will get you up most hills.

3. For just a 5 minute ride to school up the slight hill and then a two minute ride back down again do I have to pedal at all?

If the bike you're considering has a throttle, then you could get there and back without pedalling at all.

4. I don't understand the new law with regard to the throttle? Is the bike Byocycle Chameleon legal because it has a throttle, the man in the shop said they won't be selling them next year is that because they won't be legal?

The bike has to come 'pedal assist only' when it is sold, a 'walk mode' is okay, this lets the bike go 6km/h. There is a huge grey area in regards to throttle and I don't want to open that can of worms again!

5. How easy is it to balance when not pedalling but moving along using the motor?

As easy as riding a bike! :)

I hope that helps somewhat, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to give me a call on 02392 488 362