what ebike for someone with a gammy knee??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ok, why would a crank driven one make much difference, are all hub powered ones not very good then?
power-wise, there is not much difference. They can be just as good climbing hills as each other. However, with crank drive, you have to select the right gear. When you do, you get about 10% more torque for the same input power. Vice versa, if you are in the wrong gear, you will lose not just 10% power but also run the risk of damaging your motor. It's like climbing a hill in your car in fifth year instead of third gear.
The stress and strain on a crank drive is inversely proportional to your cadence. If you have the habit on spinning fast, then it's good. If your cadence drops to under 30 rpm, half of your battery power is converted to heat, not good for the motor. So on a CD bike, you need to keep your cadence to 60+ all the time.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
looking into it a bit more i think insurance wise its not worth the risk to get a 1000w for my first bike

now looking at whisper as the do interest-free

do these come recommended and can anyone tell me the difference between the 905 se and the 905 torque?
apart from the price :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
905 SE is pas sensor so the controller only needs to see gentle crank movement between magnet and sensor.

905T is a torque sensor drive that needs to see rider effort and pressure applied to the cranks generally not the ideal set up for arthritic knees, however it isn't a one trick pony because up the 905t's sleeve it has a setting that switches between pas sensing and torque which is unusual for bikes.
The other difference is the T has better component specs hence the price difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
There are a few questions that need asking before any recommendation could possibly be appropriate.
And it is essential to take a test ride on several if possible to check for comfort and fit.
How tall are you? How long is your commute? Apart from your knee issue how would you rate your fitness level?
sorry should have replied to you sooner

I'm 5.8 13.5stone (should be12stone really) and 58 years young, not unfit as such do a fair bit of dog walking, but got a bit of a belly on me now since I stopped cycling a year ago

Reactions: LeighPing

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
In the end opted for a clearance bike from wisper, think there's one left now
just cosmetic differences and they changed the sensor on it, i was told over the phone, bit over my price range but with all the kit on it, i thought why not :)

Unused 2016 Mk 1 905 Torque with brand new battery £400 of this years model - Price with a 575 battery £1,399

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
i just wish i had thought of an electric bike before i sold my £1k hybrid bike for £250 to a mate, when i was drunk (took advantage of me)
I could have converted it :(
There's advantages and disadvantages to that. All mine are converts and if they break I've nowhere to go.. But I've a feeling that you'll be happy with the great deal that you got. It provides peace of mind to have good through-care support in place. Enjoy.

I love going cross country on mine. :)

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
still waiting for the bike to come into the shop to cant post a review yet.

Funny though, I had had 2 conversations with the shop whos going to receive the bike and set it up for me.
On both occasions, they said "oh the one on finance, no not seen it yet"
I feel like a right dodgy gezzah, is that frowned upon with bike dealers then :confused:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
With arthritis a step thru seems the best bet for your price range look at Woosh bikes as weel or not so long a go Kudos were offering their Safari bike on a very special 2 for £995 being an older stock model will have a full throttle and apparently quite a good hill climber.
Not quite sure I agree that a step through is better. Even with a new knee restricted to a 90 degree bend (Had to have cranks stortened) and generally stiff at 73, I find it easy on my throttle controlled bike to put one foot on the peddle, power up and swing the other leg up when moving, despite needing the saddle high up too.Just watch how they start and stop on those huge 28" wheel Dutch or Danish bikes. The trouble with step through frames is their lack of stiffness. I do admit they can cater for several members of the same family though.

Oxymoron

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2017
Oxford
Still waiting for delivery, almost 2 weeks now,
Anyone with experience of buying a wisper bike from their website, do they usually take this long to post out?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No worries, Jeremy Crook our sales manager took it with him last Thursday as he lives nearby. Thanks for the business and enjoy, be safe.

All the best

David