What have I bought?

slippa

Pedelecer
May 19, 2012
I've just picked this up at a car boot sale as a bit of a project. I'm considering putting a hub motor on the front but there's a fair bit of work to do first.

Does anyone know the make/model? I can see no badges/branding on it at all.

Tandem.jpg

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Are they smaller 16/20" wheels ?

An interesting find :)

Jerry

slippa

Pedelecer
May 19, 2012
Hi Jerry

They are 20" Wheels and the tyres say 20 x 1.75 which doesn't indicate it's very old as you would expect them to be 20 x 1 3/8.

I'm not sure if its a manufactured bike or whether it's something someone has built but the mechanism where it joins/separates in the middle looks pretty good to be a bodge job.

I'm trying to upload a full-sized picture but it always seems to upload a small inline version.

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi Jerry

If or when you decide to do the total strip down,including a respray(££££££) then fully converted to an ebike,surely after the bike would be a head turner.
This all depends on how far you are willing to dig deep into your pocket.Will be interesting to see your proud and new creation.

Mountainsport

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The bike is not mine its slippa's :p

Slippa you could try on some of the other small wheeled forums to see if anyone recognises it on there. Certainly very interesting.

Maybe try the folding forum first.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

slippa

Pedelecer
May 19, 2012
Thanks all. I've begun my quest to determine it's origins... I'll keep you informed of my findings.

Anyone know of a good sand-blasting and powder coating company in the SW London or Surrey area that isn't going to break the bank?

Cheers
Matt

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Home-made job.
It's exactly what the late, great Sheldon Brown wrote about doing when he was younger - he made several tandems out of standard bikes by welding strategically.
I've been looking seriously at making either a tandem or cargobike frame myself, for two main reasons:
1. Carrying capacity
2. The cost of a bought one
3. Being able to fit a mid-mount motor and almost unlimited battery space.
4. The Spanish Inquisition

Last edited:

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
Home-made job.
It's exactly what the late, great Sheldon Brown wrote about doing when he was younger - he made several tandems out of standard bikes by welding strategically.
I've been looking seriously at making either a tandem or cargobike frame myself, for two main reasons:
1. Carrying capacity
2. The cost of a bought one
3. Being able to fit a mid-mount motor and almost unlimited battery space.
4. The Spanish Inquisition
The last one was a bit unexpected.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
No one expects a home made welded Tandem! Biggles fetch the Comfy Chair!