What is the best budget electric bike?

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
The alternator packed in. It was old anyway. Got to get a new battery as well.
Was tempted to just buy the bike instead.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
If the car is old why not buy the parts from a car breakers,probably £30-£40 for both parts and still have most of your bike budget left.

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
Chris

When you do get your e-bike funds together again, I can certainly recommend the Cyclomatic Power Plus. I got mine about a month ago and it has been a dream so far.

Like you, I am about 16 stone but I am a fair bit older - now over 50. I have been getting more and more unfit for the past few years and knew I had to do something about it. :eek:

I tried to join a couple of gyms but they were some distance away so I ended only going 2-3 times a month - complete waste of money. I enjoy swimming but the local pool gets too crowded to try lane swimming at the times I can get there. That left cycling but, as the whole area around me is hilly (Hastings/Bexhill area) I knew I would really struggle with a normal bike so I didn't bother.

Then my neighbour suggested an electric bike - his son, daughter-in-law and grandkids have them. I looked into the idea and it seemed ideal so I went ahead and got myself one and I haven't looked back! :D

I got mine from Sports HQ, who I have found give excellent customer service, but there seem to be plenty of suppliers out there nowadays so you can take your pick.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Ratzakli

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
thanks Ratzakli.

i think the Cyclomatic Power Plus is at the top of my list at the moment. i nearly got a second hand one for about £300 but i was put off at the last minute. so for now i shall just wait until i can get one from a supplier instead of ebay.

chrisc:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
thanks Ratzakli.

i think the Cyclomatic Power Plus is at the top of my list at the moment. i nearly got a second hand one for about £300 but i was put off at the last minute. so for now i shall just wait until i can get one from a supplier instead of ebay.

chrisc:)
Chris

I think you`ll find that the sole supplier of the Genuine Cyclamatic bikes are sportshq.
They aren`t showing the MTB at the moment. My wifes one is kept on our VW van all the time and we go out a couple of times a week to pastures new and just park up and drop the bikes off of the back and ride away around new routes. The problem with that is she keeps her Synergie Breeze in our bike shed for riding around our local lanes which again we do two or three times a week but to be perfectly honest she quite often wants me to get the Cyclamatic off of the van at home so that she can ride that bike around our local lanes. We really thought that buying a 36V bike for her as her main home based bike would be the best bet but although the Cyclamatic is only 24V she really likes the small size and lightness of the bike and it still remains her bike of choice. If it were the other way around then I would probably offer the bike for sale but she would brain me if I ever did that.

I was trolling around E bay last night and there really are a number of bikes on thier at a reasonable price now that will certainly suffice and probably give years of enjoyment. The only time I think it would be prudent to spend more than £5-600 would be if one intended to do a daily commute of maybe 15-20 miles each way where a more powerful battery would come into it`s own.

Dave

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks Dave

i was wondering which one would be the best. i like the look of the mountian bike version but the fold version would be handy to fold up and stick in my car.

i ashume they are the same spec.

chrisc

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks Dave

i was wondering which one would be the best. i like the look of the mountian bike version but the fold version would be handy to fold up and stick in my car.

i ashume they are the same spec.

chrisc
The most powerful out of the box is the MTB but if you are prepared to change the chain ring and crank up from 44 teeth to at least 52 teeth then the folder really comes to life. I have a 57 tooth one on mine and Annes is a 55 tooth. The folder is quite low geared without the upgrade although to be honest if you wanted the bike for just running around town or just pleasure around the coast then no problems( Morag gets on fine with hers) I like to ride mine on the road and around the country lanes and thats why I upped the gear ratio. They are quite decent little folders with mudguards and carrier as standard. They are not high speed main road bikes but then they were not designed for that.
Did you see the videos I shot on one?

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The most powerful out of the box is the MTB but if you are prepared to change the chain ring and crank up from 44 teeth to at least 52 teeth then the folder really comes to life. I have a 57 tooth one on mine and Annes is a 55 tooth. The folder is quite low geared without the upgrade although to be honest if you wanted the bike for just running around town or just pleasure around the coast then no problems( Morag gets on fine with hers) I like to ride mine on the road and around the country lanes and thats why I upped the gear ratio. They are quite decent little folders with mudguards and carrier as standard. They are not high speed main road bikes but then they were not designed for that.
Did you see the videos I shot on one?

Dave
link to Folder YouTube - Wells next the sea

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks for the info Dave. I am thinking may be the Mtb might be better for me. I will be doing slot of road cycling and not sure if I can change the chain. But then having said that I did watch your videos and your bike does look good.

Well I do have some time to think about it.

Thanks again

chrisc

Leesome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
Chris, I have just completed my own conversion to an old MB and i can tell you it cost me about £450 all told. I laced the wheel myself which was the hardest part, but a shop would do it for about £60. See my thread here, links to suppliers at the bottom of my posts. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6113-my-19-year-old-gt-mb-conversion.html

£60 lace a wheel! Halfords £11!

Budget is too tight, good battery costs few hundred, have a 48v 40ah at £500.00. Seen the new Thunderskys, very nice. Kits wise try conhis, no issues yet.

Last edited:

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
thanks for the info guys.

i have worked out a few journey's that i would be doing. some would be a bit hilly and the longest so far is about 15 miles. most of the journeys are about 6-8 miles. i would probably be pedlling for most of the journey and need help on the hills. not sure of the incline but i dont think they are to steep.

i would be traveling mostly on the road. but there is some gravel cycle ways which i would also go on so the tyres would need to be able to handle gravel. my mountain bike had great tyres for what i used to do. i am wondering if the cyclamatic fold would not be up to the job.

any ideas would be good. i am still looking at the cyclamatic power plus. i did see a powabyke for £95 and its local but i think that is to cheap.

thanks guys

chrisc:) :eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
for a 15 mile one way journey...30 mile return? I would want a full size 36 volt bike. Honestly, look at Bob "Blew it" recommendation with your budget it makes sound sense:)

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
the 15 miles is the hole journey. same with the 6-8. i might want to go 20 miles (10 there 10 back) but that would be the most distance to start with. i had forgotten about the e-ride. i wonder if anyone has one on here? it does look like a good bike.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Browsing this thread and had a look at your video Old Timer,

Really enjoyed it, feel as though I've had a day at the seaside:)
Thanks

Now I`m getting back more to normal there will be more videos to come in the future:D

Dave

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Dave great videos. What do you use to hold your camera? I am looking for something to fix my camera to but I don't know what to use.:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Dave great videos. What do you use to hold your camera? I am looking for something to fix my camera to but I don't know what to use.:)
Chris

I use one of these, strap around neck(that takes the weight of the camera) they are designed to then be held by hand but all I do is to fit a couple of bungees around my chest area to keep the whole thing against my chest. That then puts the camera just below your chin so that you can talk into the mike. Cover the mike with cotton wool or sponge to cut out the wind noise. The top section has a QR plate for easy removal and is adjustable for angle + you can also adjust the whole length to what ever suits you. Simple but works a treat.
SIMA SVP-3 Mobile Video / Camera Prop Support Rest 3BM# on eBay (end time 25-Jun-10 09:54:12 BST)

Dave