What is the best lightweight Ebike to buy?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I have a Gtech for nearly 3 years and it suits me but I’m thinking about getting a new one, (hopefully in the January sales). But it needs to be lightweight.

I’ve seen some kits that fit onto normal bikes but are there any purpose built lightweight bikes out there that can do hills and still look good and operate as a normal bike? I like the go cycle but it’s not practical to lock up at a station as it screams steal me.

I would have a budget of £1750

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I reckon a BMX Burner would suit you perfectly; fairly light, manoeuvrable and not to be taken seriously.:D

Tom

You literally wander about this forum spamming everything.

I feel sorry for you but more sorry for the forum.

You really are not an eighth as funny as you think you are.

Troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerrymond

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
That looks amazing and is almost perfect for what I need. One question though. Can I take the battery off the bike to charge it? Actually 2 questions. Is there anywhere I can try it?
The battery is fixed into the frame and only taken out during a service - so, charge in-situ. And you'll have to be patient - we release it to shops at the end of January.
Didn't mean to tease, honest! But as you're planning your purchase for the new year I thought it appropriate.
We certainly love it here and many shops who saw Ticket at the Show have already placed orders.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
The battery is fixed into the frame and only taken out during a service - so, charge in-situ. And you'll have to be patient - we release it to shops at the end of January.
Didn't mean to tease, honest! But as you're planning your purchase for the new year I thought it appropriate.
We certainly love it here and many shops who saw Ticket at the Show have already placed orders.

I wouldn't be looking to buy till then anyway. It really is a thing of beauty. Have you ever thought of putting a belt chain on it to reduce the weight even further a la the gtech?

I do have a problem with the charging though. I don't have a garage and the pram takes up the space in the hall way. I will have to have a think and see if I can find a solution. I am definitely interested. I reckon you've got an absolute best seller there.

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Wow. Jaw droppingly gorgeous.
Well, thank you, I'll take that. But we know Ticket and Furtivoo won't suit everyone's taste.
We did consider a belt for Ticket, but of course you loose gears, essential in the Peaks. Perhaps in the future...
Thanks again.

Reactions: Fingers

Full chat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 17, 2018
Worth having a look at the westhill energise that has a removable battery in the down tube and weighs 18kg with battery.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If anyone has stock the Orbea Gain is lightweight (14kg I think) and starts at about £1500.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do have a problem with the charging though. I don't have a garage and the pram takes up the space in the hall way. I will have to have a think and see if I can find a solution. I am definitely interested. I reckon you've got an absolute best seller there.
Perhaps an outdoor 13 amp socket. A single outlet spur without source fuse wired from an existing ring main socket is within the current regulations. But only one socket on the spur.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Perhaps an outdoor 13 amp socket. A single outlet spur without source fuse wired from an existing ring main socket is within the current regulations. But only one socket on the spur.

It's a shared entrance but it is definitely a possibility. Hellfire I could run an extension cord outside if it came to it. I leave the current bike out there now. But as I said on the gtech thread its kind of invisilbe. It looks so plain and beat up no one would think to stealing it. Little do they know of its secrets....Someone seeing a plug charged into a new bike might be alerted to its value.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Richard Anthony

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Late to this site and this forum but one way to go for a lightweight ebike is a pre-owned GTech Sport for £600 or so (weight is around 33 lbs) ; fit bigger tyres for bump reduction (the frame can easily take them - I put Vredestein 47Cs on mine); beef up the brakes with Clarks brake pads and put a brake booster up front; compensate for slight increase in weight by fitting lighter saddle, pedals and grips. This way you get a cheap and capable tarmac/gravel bike for a big money saving. OK it's a single speed but some of us prefer that and the upside is you get belt drive so no messing with degreasers and lubes.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi take a look at the Woosh faro this bike stripped of rear rack kick stand mudguards (in summer) Even replacing stock with carbon seat and post front carbon forks (if expense isn’t an issue), has to be on par weight wise with the other higher brands of light weight stealth ebikes