What's the best way to strip insulation from very thin wire?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
What's the best way to strip the insulation from very thin, stranded wire. I'm talking about hall sensor wiring thin.

I've read that some people just burn the insulation off, but really! I can't imagine the fumes being too good for my health. I have an automatic wire stripper, but it can be awkward and isn't really suited to smaller cables.

Any hints and tips wil be much appreciated ;)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I've read that some people just burn the insulation off, but really! I can't imagine the fumes being too good for my health.
They're not, so don't breathe them in!

Burning the insulation off is a valid suggestion though. Alternatively, soften it up with some heat, then scrape the insulation off with a sharp blade.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thin silicone wire 20awg and less I use my thumb and middle fingers nails to cut and pull the insulation off. On stiff wire I often use the hot solder iron shaft to make the insulation pliable to pull off.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
With a craft knife roll the wire very gently under the blade to break the surface but not cut completely through the insulation then pull off with fingernails. The basis of working with electronics is to have a long nail on your index and thumb!

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
They're not, so don't breathe them in!

Burning the insulation off is a valid suggestion though. Alternatively, soften it up with some heat, then scrape the insulation off with a sharp blade.
yes, soldiering iron is good for shrivelling for removing without fumes

• Informative

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Or using said long nails, hold the cable up pinned between them holding it at the spot you want to strip it and using a sharp/new stanley blade you can gently cut/score round the insulation. Then you can easily pinch the insulation off.

I've never used a soldering iron to remove insulation. That would just be messy and I'd have to clean the soldering iron.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
With a craft knife roll the wire very gently under the blade to break the surface but not cut completely through the insulation then pull off with fingernails. The basis of working with electronics is to have a long nail on your index and thumb!
I normally cut through the insulation with a craft knife very gentle pressure and rotate the wire then slip it off using the nail... i used to use my teeth until i got sense. There is sufficient difference between copper and plastic.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I use my teeth. They give perfect control.

Burning definitely does not work.

• :D
Reactions: LIMI200

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Burning definitely does not work.
I'm not advising it as a first choice solution, but I've used this method a quite a few times when wanting to expose a wire core mid-cable, or when there is limited working room. Just needs a little bit of common sense when working close to other flammable items.

EDIT: Burning/melting only works with PVC insulation, not silicone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not advising it as a first choice solution, but I've used this method a quite a few times when wanting to expose a wire core mid-cable, or when there is limited working room. Just needs a little bit of common sense when working close to other flammable items.

EDIT: Burning/melting only works with PVC insulation, not silicone.
I find that the pvc just melts into the copper strands, then becomes a black mess, which renders the copper unsolderable. I wouldn't recommend it.

Advertisers