Wheel keeps falling off!

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
What Nealh says is so true, bike sales in this country are increasing every year and this brings out the quick buck/no idea repair merchants jumping on the bandwagon.

A quick google search brings up this place...
http://www.northwestelectricbikecentre.co.uk/
... give them a ring.
Thank you JP and, yes, I think I'm starting to realise that with the increase in cyclist, as you say. Thanks again for the reply AND for the link. I'll give that a look.

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
Be very careful with the motor wire, although it is badly twisted it may still be intact. It might be prudent to detach the cable at the joint along the rear stay and then carefully untwist it if it doesn't do it by it self.
I will indeed try that Neal and will be careful / hope it's salvagable. I'll then look into getting both torque washers and torque arms installed - I've got the feeling that when he installed a new mag disk for me a few months ago he simply didn't put back on any torque washers! :mad:

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
You are deff. suffering axle rotation and it does not appear in your photos there are any anti-rotation washers fitted on either side of the bike. Even if they are, they are not doing their job. Your axle needs to be rotated at least 200 degrees clockwise to untwist the motor cable and a torque arm fitted. I would advise one each side as your dropouts have been damaged. Contact the shop in JP's link if it is local to you and see if they can help fit them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/113059111450
Yes, I can clearly see that now. As I've said in another reply, I now believe for one second that the fella put back on any torque washers a few months ago after he installed a new mag disk for me. Very annoyed at that...

Yep, I'll have a look to see if that shop is local'ish and thank you both the the reply and the link, wheeliepete. Much appreciated.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
You are deff. suffering axle rotation and it does not appear in your photos there are any anti-rotation washers fitted on either side of the bike. Even if they are, they are not doing their job. Your axle needs to be rotated at least 200 degrees clockwise to untwist the motor cable and a torque arm fitted. I would advise one each side as your dropouts have been damaged. Contact the shop in JP's link if it is local to you and see if they can help fit them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/113059111450
That's something of an understatement.

It looks from here as if the axis of that motor is too wide for the rear dropouts. Usual the motor axis will be champered or squared on two sides so that it fits the dropouts and doesn't rotate.

Those photos seems to show an axis which never fitted, and is positively dangerous as its sits. Its a wonder your rear disc brakes even works.

Is this really how your mechanical 'friend' left the the bike each time??

On the other hand it could be that the disc brake is preventing the axis from dropping properly into the rear dropouts. That will happen if the disc rotor is too large for the disc brake. Does your rear disc brake work?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drake-601

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Read this... http://www.ebikeschool.com/install-hub-motor-washers/ ... to understand the nut/washer arrangement.
Check the drop-outs for damage and/or cracks, do some research into torque arms and if you need them.
If the cable is damaged, contact Woosh and take up his offer to repair it. Simples.
Don't deal with numpties or idiotic bike shops - if the bike means that much to you get it sorted by the right people.

Sound advice!

If you click on that link above, you'll see a picture which show how the rear axis with its shampered or squared sides should sit. Its vital that the axis slides down all the way into the rear dropouts. The torque washer is just an added precaution.

A close up of the 4th picture shows the axis isn't even aligned with the dropouts. You'll need to turn the 'axis' (and not just the wheel) clockwise by at least 45 degrees (better yet 225 degrees) to take the tension out of the motor cable. Once again i am assuming the disc rotor isn't preventing the axis from sitting properly in the dropouts.

Also check the axis threads to make sure they aren't stripped. This is best done out of the frame with the nut. If they are stripped no amount of tightening will help if the nut isn't actually griping the thread. Once everything is in place then really tighten the rear nut.

I found in the past when i replaced my hub motor that i needed allow for the difference between the width of my old motor and the new one. This meant tighten the nut so it also compressed the frame .

Torque Arms & Torque washers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=diy&field-keywords=ebike+torque+washer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRL-Global-Electric-Anti-Rotation-10x14mm/dp/B06XFK4FBB/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1532565268&sr=8-4-fkmr2&keywords=ebike+torque+washer

Last edited:

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
What Nealh says is so true, bike sales in this country are increasing every year and this brings out the quick buck/no idea repair merchants jumping on the bandwagon.

A quick google search brings up this place...
http://www.northwestelectricbikecentre.co.uk/
... give them a ring.
Hi JP. I've just dropped this bike place in Bolton an e-mail to see if they can help. If so, I'm hoping to fit my bike into my wife's car in the next few days and leave it with them. Hoping the hear from them soon and they can not only fix any damage but properly secure, this time, with torque washers and possibly arms too. Thanks, once again, for searching and for the link, as I since found another place nearer to me in Manchester but they got back to me and said they don't service / repair e-bikes, which is a common theme in my area!

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
That's something of an understatement.

It looks from here as if the axis of that motor is too wide for the rear dropouts. Usual the motor axis will be champered or squared on two sides so that it fits the dropouts and doesn't rotate.

Those photos seems to show an axis which never fitted, and is positively dangerous as its sits. Its a wonder your rear disc brakes even works.

Is this really how your mechanical 'friend' left the the bike each time??

On the other hand it could be that the disc brake is preventing the axis from dropping properly into the rear dropouts. That will happen if the disc rotor is too large for the disc brake. Does your rear disc brake work?
Yes, this is how my local bike fella left it each time.

Wel...the brake was working fine but, funny you should say that, the last time the wheel dropped out the rear brake system went too. I'm not sure but I THINK it put pressure on it as the wheel dropped and snapped the pin holding the wire on the handle-grip. I've mentioned this also in an e-mail that I've sent to http://www.northwestelectricbikecentre.co.uk/ in the hope that they can take it in and repair / service. It's a good 30-min drive for my wife, assuming we can fit the bike into her car, but they seem from the WEB site the perfect place to get this all sorted.

Thanks Ajax.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can you clear up something for me Drake, in your pics did you loosen the wheel nuts for us to see the drops outs so partially removing the wheel or is this how the shop mechanic left it ?

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
Can you clear up something for me Drake, in your pics did you loosen the wheel nuts for us to see the drops outs so partially removing the wheel or is this how the shop mechanic left it ?
Sure, Neal. That was how it looked as I rode off and got 10-feet away from his shop the 3rd and last time it came off. From that point I took it off him, didn't attempt to re-attach it / walked it home, came onto Pedelecs and took those pictures.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sure, Neal. That was how it looked as I rode off and got 10-feet away from his shop the 3rd and last time it came off. From that point I took it off him, didn't attempt to re-attach it / walked it home, came onto Pedelecs and took those pictures.
If I were you I would never give him any more business ever again.
:eek: That is **** poor service/workman ship and clearly doesn't know what he is doing, he has not fitted it back at all correctly and possibly may have cost you a lot of money if the cable is damaged.
As Ajax has mentioned the axle should be sitting fully in to the drop out visible in you pic, with disc sat properly between the pads.

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
If I were you I would never give him any more business ever again.
:eek: That is **** poor service/workman ship and clearly doesn't know what he is doing, he has not fitted it back at all correctly and possibly may have cost you a lot of money if the cable is damaged.
As Ajax has mentioned the axle should be sitting fully in to the drop out visible in you pic, with disc sat properly between the pads.
I am angry with him for clearly botching it up and yes, I won't be using him again. And yes also, he's cost me lots of money even before I might have to drag it to Bolton and pay whatever to fix it - I've been on nearly 40 busses in 2 important weeks at work...and he even managed, in a way, to ruin a new t-shirt of mine as I had to drag my bike out upside down as his son just stood there watching me struggle with it when I took it away before taking those pics. Grimey tire marks that won't come fully out... :mad:

We'll see how long he lasts in the area if he does similar to other customers.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Don't quite know what todays posts are on about. The pictures clearly show an axle (not axis) that has rotated and pulled the wheel out of the dropouts. The guy in the shop didn't send it out like that. He did not understand how the wheel should be fitted i.e. with torque washers or arms and just went for the more tightnes method. He has probably damaged the wiring, wheel nuts, dropouts and possibly the axle. This is precisely why a lot of bike shops won't touch ebikes.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Don't quite know what todays posts are on about. The pictures clearly show an axle (not axis) that has rotated and pulled the wheel out of the dropouts. The guy in the shop didn't send it out like that. He did not understand how the wheel should be fitted i.e. with torque washers or arms and just went for the more tightnes method. He has probably damaged the wiring, wheel nuts, dropouts and possibly the axle. This is precisely why a lot of bike shops won't touch ebikes.

The original poster Drake-601 said "he installed a new mag disk", which I didn't quite understand. But if he means new rear disc brakes were installed, then all this could have been the result of the disc rotors being too large in diameter. eg 160mm instead of 140mm

This would mean there was not enough space to properly seat the axle. The motor cable could have been the only holding that rear wheel on. With the added stress on that cable, im' left wondering if he'll also need to have the motor rewired. Presumable the motor still appears to work.

The 'idiot' responcible probably saw the hub motor and panicked, when all he needed to fit the new disc brake was basic bike sense. This had nothing to do wth the 'e' in e-bikes. Its just required basic common sense.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The original poster Drake-601 said "he installed a new mag disk", which I didn't quite understand. But if he means new rear disc brakes were installed, then all this could have been the result of the disc rotors being too large in diameter. eg 160mm instead of 140mm

This would mean there was not enough space to properly seat the axle. The motor cable could have been the only holding that rear wheel on. With the added stress on that cable, im' left wondering if he'll also need to have the motor rewired. Presumable the motor still appears to work.

The 'idiot' responcible probably saw the hub motor and panicked, when all he needed to fit the new disc brake was basic bike sense. This had nothing to do wth the 'e' in e-bikes. Its just required basic common sense.
The axle was seated, it has turned itself out of the dropouts due to the motor torque. What you are looking at is the after effects of that not how it was reurned.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
The axle was seated, it has turned itself out of the dropouts due to the motor torque. What you are looking at is the after effects of that not how it was reurned.
I suggest you take a look at the poster's replies #27 & #29, also take a look at the 6th picture he submited and tell me if you think the disc rotor would comfortably fit the (newly installed) brakes.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Hi JP.

Thank you so much for your reply and, indeed, for the link too!

I am gonna get the bike back in the next hour and intend to both look at that area as well as take some photos to upload; taking it from there with my decision making.

Yes, I agree; my local fella who's been set up near me for about a year now seems fine with replacing brake & gear cables etc. and although he TOLD me he has experience at dealing with rear hub issues on e-bikes my instincts tell me otherwise. However, Halfords (about 2 miles from me) often roll their eyes whenever I take it in for whatever reason and they have to 'deal with' issues around the rear wheel; a shop in Manchester called Cycle Republic just don't want to know if it wasn't a bike purchased from them (and were quite rude on the phone :mad:) and...that's basically it near me! I don't drive and have limited access to my wife's car (when she's available) and, so, I have come to rely on my local fella more and more for good...and not so. :(

Onwards & upwards though - with all of your advice at least I now have more of an understanding of the issue, what to look at closely and what solutions might be available to me before looking into an entire new wheel hub replacement.

I would love to take up Woosh's kind offer, should that be needed but, as I've replied to him, he's in Southend-on-Sea and I'm on the outskirts of Manchester... :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

This strikes me as a great opportunity for Pedelecs to maybe launch a scheme of "local heroes for e-bikes"

In the same way people buy and sell here, if we had a special thread where people could submit requests for assistance along with the first part of their post code, they could then arrange through PM get some help. 4

Just thinking out loud. ;)

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I suggest you take a look at the poster's replies #27 & #29, also take a look at the 6th picture he submited and tell me if you think the disc rotor would comfortably fit the (newly installed) brakes.
It's got NOTHING to do with the brake disc! The brake disc has not been replaced. Yes there is plenty of room for the disc to go into the caliper on the picture.
I suspect the mag disc was the pas disc, it certainly wasn't the brake disc.

• Agree
Reactions: Drake-601

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It's got NOTHING to do with the brake disc! The brake disc has not been replaced. Yes there is plenty of room for the disc to go into the caliper on the picture.
I suspect the mag disc was the pas disc, it certainly wasn't the brake disc.
The abbreviation 'Mag' has caused me some confusion and like others I thought the poster was referring to the brake disc.
If he means 'disc of magnets' then the position becomes clearer.
For some reason the LBS seem to have failed to refit the torque washers and this has caused all the problems.
I do hate it when over confident bodgers with little feel for mechanical things set themselves up as experts.
A local fool of this ilk in Wheelies assured me that there is no such thing as an inner tube with a long valve stem.
I went out to my bike and got a spare tube, showed it to him and explained that twin wall wheels need such long valve stems.
All he said was that he had never seen one before, yet this idiot was employed in a bike shop.
Probably a lycra know all rather than trained mechanic.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester

Hi Ajax.

No, it was a new mag disk that he had to fit after I bought it for him (old one had an nick in the wire of the sensor that sits next to the mag disk) but he did then struggle like mad getting the rear wheel back on a few months ago and I think that's where my recent problems began and surfaced; probably not fitting the axle properly in some way.

Drake-601

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Greater Manchester
This strikes me as a great opportunity for Pedelecs to may launch a scheme of "local heroes for e-bikes"

In the same way people buy and sell here, if we had a special thread where people could submit requests for assistance along with the first part of their post code, they could then arrange through PM get some help. 4

Just thinking out loud. ;)
What a brilliant suggestion! :D