Wheel only turns forwards

Colin Macdonald

Just Joined
May 15, 2015
I bought a Synergie Typhoon 2 years ago from Alien Ocean. Last year they went out of business. I laid up the bike over the winter but kept the battery charged. When I tried to use it again, I found that the front wheel would only turn forwards, even when pushing the bike. Pushing backwards caused the front wheel to skid along, regardless of whether the battery was connected or not. When trying to use it with the battery, the lights in the control unit come on, but no power reaches the wheel.
The number stamped on the front hub is BF SWXB36V250W 175R Q10021120.
Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone advise me what to do, or where parts can be obtained? I live in Fife, Scotland.​

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it seems that your clutch needs replacing. Cost: about £10-£15.

D

Deleted member 4366

No. It means that the clutch is working correctly, but the motor is jammed. The most likely reason for it to be jammed is that there's a short in the motor phase wires. The short could be in the wires where they come out of the axle or in the controller due to blown mosfets.

First, check whether there's damage to the wire where it comes out of the axle, then check all connections along the wire to the controller. If that doesn't show anything, disconnect the motor from the controller to see if that frees it. If it does, you need a new controller.

The other possible cause of jamming is rust after water got in. If the above electrical tests don't reveal anything, try a bit of force to turn the motor backwards by hand. If it makes grating/grinding sounds, it's rust. If it's really difficult to turn and sort of notchy, it's still a short in the phase wires.

Reactions: trex