Where do I start?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Scott and Bergamont are both good brands.

Scott is more established in the UK, but I doubt there will be anything in it quality-wise.

Most child seats bolt to the seat tube, leaving the seat the child sits on in free air.

This is done to give a bit of suspension, a seat bolted direct to a carrier might jolt the child around to much.

It would also need a strong carrier, many are only rated at 10/15kg.

Not that I've used any, so you might know better than me.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Cari

Just Joined
Feb 3, 2017
South wales
I found a child seat that has its own suspension and goes up to a higher weight than most seats, http://www.hamax.com/product/caress-with-carrier-adapter/ the bike shop said the rack that comes with the bike would be strong enough. I am hoping they are right.
The main difference between the bergamot and the Scott was the Scott had a derailleur but the bergamot must have had gears within the bottom bracket. This is new to me, derailleur are what I am used to but I don't know if the other option was better.
I guess it's down to me trying and seeing what feels best and deciding if I really want to spend that much!
Thanks for all your tips.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I found a child seat that has its own suspension and goes up to a higher weight than most seats, http://www.hamax.com/product/caress-with-carrier-adapter/ the bike shop said the rack that comes with the bike would be strong enough. I am hoping they are right.
The main difference between the bergamot and the Scott was the Scott had a derailleur but the bergamot must have had gears within the bottom bracket. This is new to me, derailleur are what I am used to but I don't know if the other option was better.
I guess it's down to me trying and seeing what feels best and deciding if I really want to spend that much!
Thanks for all your tips.
The Bergamont will have the gears in the rear hub, probably eight or 11.

Advantage is almost no maintenance and the chain lasts longer because it's always in perfect alignment.

Disadvantage is extra weight and a tiny bit of extra friction which is not so important on an ebike.

Gear range can be less than on a bike with a derailer and two or three rings at the front.

Doesn't really apply on a Bosch ebike which only has one ring at the front.