Where Do You Live V2.0

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
how come you oldies are so IT literate??? can you move me nearer to Swiss Cottage tube?- I'm no more a snob than anyone else but feel odd in Kilburn!
Hey, just 40 years old here. This is the only forum I can find that makes me still feel young. Don't take that away from me.:eek:

Cheers,

Django

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
:) Sorry Django- at 40 you're expected to know IT- I was aiming at Flecc , who thinks I know what a Speedo Express is- sounds like an indecent swimsuit to me ( doesn't bear thinking about) but thanks for moving me on the map Flecc.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I originally started this thread in the 'Charging Post' section http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/charging-post/1570-where-do-you-live.html#post19693 , but I think it might work better here.
Please forgive me for repeating myself.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know where e-bikers live (if you are alive)throughout the country, indeed the planet?
I appreciate many wish to remain annonymous and keep their whereabouts secret.
Most have chosen not to reveal the town or area where they live, but I for one am curious if there is an another e-biker in my neighbourhood, so I have taken the bold step of adding the 1st part of my post code to my location details which will give people a rough idea where I live.
I have done this in the hope that others might follow suit.
Who knows, you might even want to meet each other if live close enough.
No, I'm not thinking dating agency, not even if Flecc does wear Lycra.

Just a thought,

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

where is a link i get get to see the map..all i do is clcik this link and go round in circles of past threads...:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

where is a link i get get to see the map..all i do is clcik this link and go round in circles of past threads...:eek:
Here you are Keith, same as I've given before each time I entered a member who asked:

Members map

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Interesting, flecc, you and I have done something very similar. I bought a very small, very cheap, Asus Eee laptop recently. This has no hard disc, just 4Gb of flash storage. It came with A version of Linux installed, plus a full office suite, etc,for just £220.

After trying Linux, I found that I needed to run a couple of Windows only programmes, that wouldn't work under WINE. The answer was to do as you have done, trim down an XP installation (I used nLite, see here for detailed instructions that will work on any PC, not just the Eee: Installing Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC ~ EEEguides.com), make some serious tweaks to the system to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff, build a compressed version of Microsoft Office and get the whole lot to comfortably fit on a 1Gb self-booting USB memory stick. I've now actually installed this cut down version of XP to the laptop (it's a similar size to yours at 534Mb), but still have a bootable personal operating system on the USB stick. This latter gizo means that I can borrow anyone's PC and not disturb any of their settings, because I just run my own "virtual" PC from the stick.

Getting vaguely back on topic, one of the programmes I needed to use on the Eee was the USB Instruments datalogger software. I recently used this to try and see if the chain fundamental frequency was easy to pull out from the other chain movements (it isn't).

Sorry for the diversion...............

Jeremy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's an interesting installation on the Eee Jeremy. I'd looked at the installation guide for XP on that, but don't really have an application for one.

The Express system is on my main computer as well these days, and my real interest was in getting all the surplus MS rubbish out from within the files, where it bulks them out and slows the system so much. Even to look up any system bmp it has to go through the bmp for every XP version, Home, Professional, Server system, Whistler prototype, the lot, in order to pick out the right one. Few realise that the CD installs every XP version on their machine in one huge block, but only able to access the one paid for.

Apologies too for the diversion. :)

greenchic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2008
Geeze Louise!

Hi, greenchic here. I signed up with google-tried to mark on map-couldn't do it. Step by step instructions for how i get my name on list and mark on map,
please.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A belated welcome to the forum from me Greenchic. :)

Here you are, instructions given for another member previously are on this link.

greenchic

Feb 20, 2008
I can get to google from link on here...

Do I go into edit? And then what...:eek:

Sorry to be such a bother, but it just is not plain to me. I went in and did get my name on the list, but couldn't figure how to get the mark on the map in phx. Then I went back and just deleted my name from the list and wanted to start over but couldn't. I am frazzled.

Thanx

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, but it's not clear what you mean. phx? What is that.

It sounds like you'd completed it if you got your name in the list. Make sure you start with your postcode first part as instructed, then follow through the list, and then click on your name in the list to highlight it. The name box will appear on the map pointing to your teardrop symbol. Then you can change that to a bike using the icon dropdown at top right of that white edit box.

Once you've done that, go to the left at the top and click save again. It will change to Saved, job done.

If you are still stuck, can you say exactly what part of the process you are stuck at?

Last edited:

greenchic

Feb 20, 2008
Sorry, but it's not clear what you mean. phx? What is that.

It sounds like you'd completed it if you got your name in the list. Make sure you start with your postcode first part as instructed, then follow through the list, and then click on your name in the list to highlight it. The name box will appear on the map pointing to your teardrop symbol. Then you can change that to a bike using the icon dropdown at top right of that white edit box.

Once you've done that, go to the left at the top and click save again. It will change to Saved, job done.

If you are still stuck, can you say exactly what part of the process you are stuck at?
Got it now. Thanks. That was a marathon, my pc kept cutting out for some reason:eek:

Thanks again. Now, I will just cruz around and see what I can learn:)

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Non user

That would be good Ian, but I don't know how to do it. Another option might be to use Microsoft Virtual Earth, but again, we need the services of an IT 'geek' to advise on that one.
If it is possible, then maybe it could be updated by individual members at anytime so everybody could view the map on the forum.
IT help needed!

John
Some of us don't use Microsoft as our O.S. I use Linux : openSUSE 10.3.

Derrick - Llanberis

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Some of us don't use Microsoft as our O.S. I use Linux : openSUSE 10.3.

Derrick - Llanberis
I'm also anti Microsoft Derrick, being a Mac user. The online MS Virtual Earth does seem to work well enough with Firefox although I haven't tried creating or sharing collections. I suspect functionality will be impared at least to some extent for us users of decent OS's.