Where Do You Live V2.0

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Ian.

I'm a little concerned about the deletion that Grandad mentioned, since with no backup to immediately restore from, the map is very vulnerable to damage, accidental or otherwise.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Thanks Ian.

I'm a little concerned about the deletion that Grandad mentioned, since with no backup to immediately restore from, the map is very vulnerable to damage, accidental or otherwise.
I was rather alarmed when mucking about with reversing my bike icon, at how easily I could have damaged all sorts of things. Is there no way of limiting alteration to one's own details?

C

Cyclezee

Come On You Members, Show Yourselves

Having your location on the map is free and doesn't hurt;)
I'm glad to see we going international, but there is plenty room for more.
I find it interesting that only one member in Scotland and no members in Wales or Ireland are on the map:(

In my opinion, the map should be locked and editing should be resricted to one or two 'volunteers' who can add, remove or otherwise modify the map on request via PM, what do you think?

John

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
There is no doubt it is possible to mess things up but I think limiting editing to certain nominated individuals is somewhat restrictive and would place a workload burden on those individuals. I also feel it may discourage some new members from adding their location. The problem seems to be that its difficult for members to find the instructions that have been given in this and another thread due to the high number of posts.

One approach may be for John to edit the very first post of the thread with clear instructions on how to do things, a link to the relevant google map and possibly a PM link to a volunteer for those not confident about adding themselves.

Another solution, if Russ agrees, would be to have the instructions and link as a single post in a new sticky thread that is locked to prevent further posting. The discussion continuing to take place on this thread.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi All,

Indeed, the issue of access is one that has concerned me. At the moment, anyone with a computer can wreck the whole thing. My instinct is to keep it as open as possible, but . . .

I have the facility to remove public access and place it in the hands of a few, or indeed of many, if that were felt appropriate. The process for those who wish to add details could easily be made clear beside the map as well as on this site in line with Ian's suggestions.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Django

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I have added instructions to the side of the map.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Django

C

Cyclezee

Hi Django and Ian,
I do think some kind compromise needs to be worked out to keep it open but prevent people accidentally or maliciously wrecking what has been achieved.
Personally I like the idea of clear instructions on the site and beside the map.
I don't like the idea of 'locking' the map, but a compromise maybe to only allow Senior members to edit the map after receiving a request via PM from a member.
What do you think guys ?

John

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi John,

I would be happy with that - and as it was your idea, your opinion holds a lot of weight!

Practically, and as the 'owner', I need e-mail addresses of those who are entitled to edit in the first instance. From that point, anyone who is already a 'collaborator' can invite others, assuming they have an e-mail address.

The workload Ian mentions is not really an issue from my perspective, but I do understand the desirability of keeping restriction to a minimum.

Ian? Others?

Cheers,

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think something is needed, since it needs just one malicious person to totally wreck it at present, and as we know from computer viruses, trojans, spam and the like, the world is full of such people.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
It does sound like a lot of work, but if Struan is willing then it is one solution.

Having just deleted the weekends crop of spam I am well aware that the Malicious people Flecc mentions do exist, and would wreak havoc without any good reason.

C

Cyclezee

Hi John,

I would be happy with that - and as it was your idea, your opinion holds a lot of weight!

Practically, and as the 'owner', I need e-mail addresses of those who are entitled to edit in the first instance. From that point, anyone who is already a 'collaborator' can invite others, assuming they have an e-mail address.

The workload Ian mentions is not really an issue from my perspective, but I do understand the desirability of keeping restriction to a minimum.

Ian? Others?

Cheers,

Django
Hi Django,

I think we have to go down that route as you suggest, but should give other members an opportunity to give their opinions.
Perhaps 48 hours for people to respond and pass on their email addresses if they wish to become editors along with you Django.

Following Ian's suggestion I have edited my first post in this thread and added a link to the map.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
OK, in 48 hours time I will adjust the permissions and leave a note on the map suggesting that those who wish to be added should leave a request on this page where one of the editors will pick it up.

To that end, your e-mail addresses would all be welcome! Others can be added later by anyone with editing rights.

Obviously this policy can be reconsidered at any time.

Cheers,

Django

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Dear All,

Following the discussions above, the locations map now has restricted editing rights.

At the moment, that consists of Aldby, Flecc, and Django. If any other senior member would like to help out, I would invite them to forward me their e-mail address and I will sort it.

If anyone reading this would like their details added to the map or updated, please ask here or PM one of the editors.

Cheers,

Django