Which bike maintenance stand?

ChilledMatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
I have recently purchased a Park Tool PCS-10 which I am really pleased with. But, it is twice the price. I maintain several bikes and view it as a tool for life so felt I could justify the extra cost. The x-tool one you have linked to does look perfectly adequate though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks, that one does look good.

The cross bar on my Cube is square, not round. Would it still clamp into the Park Tool PSC-10?

ChilledMatt

May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
Thanks, that one does look good.

The cross bar on my Cube is square, not round. Would it still clamp into the Park Tool PSC-10?
Yes. I have a Cube Cross Hybrid Pro. The jaws of the clamp are made of soft rubber and it has fine tension adjustment. The rubber jaws are also replaceable if they were to wear out or become damaged.

I think the x-tool one would clamp the bike fine also. My only concern with it would be the rake angle of the boom. It looks as though the whole thing could topple over backwards if knocked. Although I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: The Bear
D

Deleted member 4366

That X-Tools one is much better than the cheaper Aldi ones as it has an indexing system that locks the position and decent clamps. The cheaper ones are OK for normal bikes, but not for electric ones because the friction in the clamps isn't enough to stop the bike finding its own c of g.

Whatever one you get, make sure that it has an indexed locking system

ChilledMatt

May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
Whatever one you get, make sure that it has an indexed locking system
The Park Tool stand is not indexed. It rotates smoothly but will still easily lock an ebike at any angle. I have upgraded from the Aldi workstand, my new one is such a pleasure to use in comparison.

ChilledMatt

May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
What do you mean by an index locking system please?
d8veh is referring to the 360° rotation in the clamp arm. Some stands have notches in the rotation that prevent the friction of the clamp arm being overwhelmed by a heavy ebike. I don't believe this to be a problem with either the x-tool or the Park Tool stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I've been using a Park Tools one with the conical locking system. It still rotates.
When you say it still rotates, do you mean it rotates when it shouldn't do due to it not tightening properly, or that it rotates as it should?

• Informative
Reactions: Old1Eye

ChilledMatt

May 20, 2017
King's Lynn
I've been using a Park Tools one with the conical locking system. It still rotates. For £60, this would be my recommendatuion.

The indexing system is like crown gears that lock. you can see them in one of the photos in this listing:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-home-mechanic-prep-stand-workshop-mat-silver-one/?referid=affwin&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.bikeradar.com&utm_term=78888&utm_content=0
Are my fears of it toppling over backwards unfounded?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my 20 quid stand has lasted me so far.
DSC_0385.JPG

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Can anyone recommend a good and sturdy maintenance stand thats suitable for the additional weight of an bike please?

This X-Tools stand gets decent reviews...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-home-mechanic-prep-stand-workshop-mat-silver-one/?referid=affwin&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.bikeradar.com&utm_term=78888&utm_content=0

I have both the X-tools stand and the cheaper Aldi stand. Whilst the Aldi stand is cheap ,sufficient and works ok the X-tools stand is really good and I would have no reservations in recommending it to anybody.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I've got the Aldi stand, it is at it's limit with a heavy bike. Also you need a fair amount of space to use it, you can't set it back against a wall because of the legs.

I'll probably upgrade it soon, it seems my garage is turning into a Park Tools shrine.

D

Deleted member 4366

All you guys with the Aldi/Lidl stand show it holding the bike nicely balanced. The problem is when you remove the battery or motor-whel, the bike immediately goes vertical. I use one at home, but it's a bloody nuicance. It's definitely worth paying the extra for the X-tools one.

If you're on a tight budget, the Aldi double pulley hoist one works better than the stand, but you have to fix it to the garage roof. You can get them for £5 if you hunt for them or make your own .

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've got the Aldi stand, and it's true, the bike has to be balanced otherwise it rotates. I put mine in without the battery.
Haven't found a way yet to hold the missus' big bear LS.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I see most of these stands grip the seat post. Are the clamps usually suitable for clamping the frame crossbar to keep the bike horizontal?