Which bike maintenance stand?

D

Deleted member 4366

I see most of these stands grip the seat post. Are the clamps usually suitable for clamping the frame crossbar to keep the bike horizontal?
Yes, but modern bikedesigns have strange cross-bars that aren't so convenient to hold than the old ones. They slope and have bends in them, and some are very wide or other strange shapes.

The stand can grip at any angle, but you want the bike to be at the right angle for where you want to work on it. That's the advantage of the indexed type that lock the bike at the angle you want, and when you remove the wheel, motor or battery, it stays there.

Reactions: The Bear

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Yes, but modern bikedesigns have strange cross-bars that aren't so convenient to hold than the old ones. They slope and have bends in them, and some are very wide or other strange shapes.

The stand can grip at any angle, but you want the bike to be at the right angle for where you want to work on it. That's the advantage of the indexed type that lock the bike at the angle you want, and when you remove the wheel, motor or battery, it stays there.
Sounds like the X-Tools stand might be best then?

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I see most of these stands grip the seat post. Are the clamps usually suitable for clamping the frame crossbar to keep the bike horizontal?
The trouble with gripping the crossbar is that many are odd shapes, have cables etc running under them. I have the Aldi/Lidl? one and can hardly get the jaws open wide enough for my Giant frame. I am wondering if a good rub with sandpaper on the tube area of the stand which gets clamped will stop it moving when tightened? I also have 4! hoists in my bike shed but the problem then is how to hold the bike steady once the wheels are airborne.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks, the Park Tool PSC-10 is looking like being my favourite choice so far.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have a Lidl stand and although it takes the weight of my cube when centred, if I take a wheel off the bike is out of balance and the clamp head twists in its housing :( so now before removing a wheel I put somthing under the other wheel ( upside down bucket works ;)) This is not ideal but it will do untill I get around to making a indexing ring for the head clamp housing.
In hindsight it wasn't the best purchase :rolleyes: the twisting clamp I can fix but the vertical support makes full pedal rotation a pain ( setting gears & oiling chain etc ) so I may look for a stand with an angled support.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The X-Tools stand has arrived and I'm very pleased with it. The index clamping gives a rock solid hold of the bike.

And I'm sure Mrs Bear will be thrilled when she discovers my new use of the kitchen table..

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Spotted this stand at Rutland cycles £34 and I haven't yet found a bad review.
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acce...maintenance-workstand--orange_236747#infospec
Picked one up today, solid as a rock :cool:
Talking to the guys and galls in store with cash in my pocket to buy a stand, the above stand or maybe a park 9, the Ultimate Hardware stand was recomended above the more expensive Park9.
Given the lower price I brought a pr of Specialzed flat cycle shoes ot of the change ;)

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I have the Aldi one which is good but not ideal with a rear hub motor, even with the battery off balance can be a problem.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Dirty Pro Tools via Amazon. £27.99.
How do they do it at that price?
This is an astonishing stand, strong and sturdy with a host of clamp adjustments.
Holds an e-bike with ease and security.
I didn't think I would be impressed especially at that price but I was.
Folds up very neatly and very clever. No problems with storage.

djsb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2014
Are there any stands available that will clamp onto square/rectangular tubing as well as standard round? Thanks.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For the trike I use a rugged plastic Stanley tool box under the frame. Perfect for dropping out the rear wheel and indexing gears etc.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I have a big heavy old pro mechanics stand (no idea of the make) but actually find these more useful / usable a lot of the time. About 1/2 metre tall fits in rear triangle, ideal for chucking in the car for days out or holidays, only a tenner at Wiggle. Can easily take the weight of an e-bike