Which Commuter Bike?

Arkwright01

Just Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Lossiemouth, Scotland, UK
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first electric bike for my commute to and from work. My journey is only around 5 miles round trip so 25-30 miles per week. I'm fairly fit, 12.5 stone and 5' 10.

I've narrowed my choice down to either the Carrera Crossfire-e or the Wisper 905 SE. Which do you reckon would be the best buy?

Also, I live in Northern Scotland and the weather can be a bit rough at times, are electric bikes fully waterproof and able to withstand a heavy downpour with a gale blowing?

Cheers
Jamie

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
We are all different, and the best advise I can give you is go and try as many E-bikes as you can, even if this requires you to having a day off to have a go at as many E-bikes as possible.
It will be better for you to know the various types with there + and - points and may save you a lot of money.

D

Deleted member 4366

In principle they're all waterproof, but you have to apply common sense. Not a single electric bike will survive a dunking in the canal. A cape/poncho will not only keep you comfortable and dry, but it'll also keep your bike dry.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first electric bike for my commute to and from work. My journey is only around 5 miles round trip so 25-30 miles per week. I'm fairly fit, 12.5 stone and 5' 10.

I've narrowed my choice down to either the Carrera Crossfire-e or the Wisper 905 SE. Which do you reckon would be the best buy?

Also, I live in Northern Scotland and the weather can be a bit rough at times, are electric bikes fully waterproof and able to withstand a heavy downpour with a gale blowing?

Cheers
Jamie
Hi Jamie, they should be fine in the rain. We don't get many issues at all with water ingress. It's best not to leave them uncovered all year round and keep them dry when in storage. You shouldn't have any issues.

The time when all Ebikes can suffer is when being carried on the back of a car or camper van in the rain. The fine spray hitting the bike for a long period at high speed is much like washing an electric bike with a power washer and water can get in.

However even if the bike does have a water issue, in the vast majority of cases once it dries out it's fine.

All the best, David

Reactions: Arkwright01

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
I tried both those bikes and liked them both. The Crossfire had an advantage of a more central battery leading to a bit more balanced weight. The Wisper had more kit in terms of rack etc. I enjoyed the ride on both.
In the end I went with the Crossfire as it had, at the time, a heavily discounted price and the local Halfords has a good cycle store team.
I am a little taller than you and considerably heavier and find the 21 inch bike to be comfortable and competent hill climber.

Reactions: Arkwright01