Which e-bike that accelerates fast

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
There is a fourth option that almost always gets overlooked on this forum, as if it never existed:

4: A big direct drive motor fed with oodles of power. This will out accelerate all of the above and is what the hot-rodders normally chose for on-road high performance.

EDIT: This suggestion is probably not suitable for a legal 15mph build, although who really wants legal.
Direct drive motors,even with lots of illegal power,do not accelerate well.
Most of the cheapies sold in China are direct drive,very cheap to produce,but note how the Chinese,even lightweight riders,pedal like mad to get them going. But once they get up to speed,say 10 mph,they will continue to gather speed albeit accelerating slowly up to 20 plus mph.
This is why the Chinese are desperate to avoid slowing down,they try to time traffic lights to green without stopping and weave in the traffic to keep them rolling.
I tried one at the Shanghai cycle show,got it up to 25 mph,but it took a long while to get my 18 stone up there.
Stick with a Bafang hub drive with internal gears,it is a much better all round e-bike.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Stick with a Bafang hub drive with internal gears,it is a much better all round e-bike.
IIRC, DL has something like a 5kw motor with 72V battery.

• :D
Reactions: Kudoscycles

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
IIRC, DL has something like a 5kw motor with 72V battery.
Not quite that powerful, but not too far off the mark.

Direct drive motors,even with lots of illegal power,do not accelerate well.
It's all relative. Your 'high power' can't be the same as mine. If it were, you'd know that this simply isn't true.

IMO, direct drive motors are only worth it if fed 2kW or more. At this point, they aren't dissimilar in torque output from a large geared hub running on its maximum 'reliable' power of around 1400W. However, DD motors really start to shine in the 3-4kW area and at this point, I doubt anything on your list will out accelerate one.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my comments are for legal e-bikes.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Not quite that powerful, but not too far off the mark.

It's all relative. Your 'high power' can't be the same as mine. If it were, you'd know that this simply isn't true.

IMO, direct drive motors are only worth it if fed 2kW or more. At this point, they aren't dissimilar in torque output from a large geared hub running on its maximum 'reliable' power of around 1400W. However, DD motors really start to shine in the 3-4kW area and at this point, I doubt anything on your list will out accelerate one.
Wow....that is not a bit illegal....that is 'lock up and throw away the key' illegal,I suppose you might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb.
The one I rode in Shanghai was 800 watts,it was ok you just had to be patient in getting up to speed,but at 10mph plus it was rapid transport as long as you kept the speed going...it is this feature which is one of the reasons why so many accidents on e-bikes in China. Mind you a 47kg girl seems to get these bikes around very quickly....$200.00 out of Tesco China,hehe.
KudosDave

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Wow....that is not a bit illegal....that is 'lock up and throw away the key' illegal,I suppose you might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb.
The one I rode in Shanghai was 800 watts,it was ok you just had to be patient in getting up to speed,but at 10mph plus it was rapid transport as long as you kept the speed going...it is this feature which is one of the reasons why so many accidents on e-bikes in China. Mind you a 47kg girl seems to get these bikes around very quickly....$200.00 out of Tesco China,hehe.
KudosDave
There is legal or illegal. 'Slightly illegal' doesn't exist. Once you cross the line, you might as well "go big, or go home".

It makes sense now. If you're only running a DD on 800W, you're wasting you're time and geared would be a much better bet.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I don't have a clue about tweaking my bike so I'd rather not messy with conversion kits and the like.

My options are:
a) find someone able (bike shop?) to perform specific conversions/replacements, like installing a new controller, providing a new battery or whatever but I must be specific. Do you know of a bike shop in the UK where I can send them the bike and they tweak it?
b) get a new bike (possibly higher than legal wattage)
I am sorry to say minime, you are asking a tweaking question here, therefore I will be surprised if you'll get a quick answer.

MS.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing