Which e.bike?

Big Al

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2013
Hello, what a great forum I've found !
I'm slightly confused , which e.bike do I buy ?
I'm 6' tall , 18 stone and a 33" inside leg. Due to a previous illness I'm looking for a suitable step-through bike to suit my needs.
Main requirement is for it to have throttle assist so I don't have to continuously be peddling.
Have seen good reviews of Wisper 705 Classic, would this be suitable ?
Can anybody make any recommendations of this or other models please ?
Budget to £1800
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 4366

With your weight, you need one with very high torque. The only one in step-through version with a throttle that I can think of apart from the Wisper, is an Ezee Bike. You need to talk to Cyclezee for advice on the best one.
eZee Electric Bikes - electric bikes and conversion kits

If you wanted a cross-bar type, again, various Ezee bikes or the Woosh Big Bear. The Kudos Tornado also has good torque, but I think they've changed the throttle to a 6km one, so you have to move your legs for the throttle to work.

Check that the Wisper still has a throttle-only mode. They all seem to be changing over now to European compliant systems where independent throttles aren't allowed. I'm not sure about its torque. I think it's quite good, but I'd be surprised if it can match the Ezee.

Whatever bike you get, you need to take the biggest battery option if you want to go throttle only, not so much for the range, but more for the power.

wcc

Hello, what a great forum I've found !
I'm slightly confused , which e.bike do I buy ?
I'm 6' tall , 18 stone and a 33" inside leg. Due to a previous illness I'm looking for a suitable step-through bike to suit my needs.
Main requirement is for it to have throttle assist so I don't have to continuously be peddling.
Have seen good reviews of Wisper 705 Classic, would this be suitable ?
Can anybody make any recommendations of this or other models please ?
Budget to £1800
Cheers.
spam

Big Al

Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for advice.
Although all these bikes look great I'm still somewhat concerned.
My weight is approx 120kgs, the bikes mentioned state 100 kgs is max rider weight, although Freego tell me the Eagle would be okay as long as I didn't rely on constant throttle, which I wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 4366

you don't have to worry about the weight. The frame won't break, but you do have to worry about the motor. Most will over-heat under the stain of your weight on any sort of hill. Those ones i mentioned will cope, but not many others.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our Kudos Safari was built to be a very strong bike for the hire industry,it has a throttle,it is a very easy step thru,strong robust wheels and tyres.Use the 48cm frame height version with long seat post.
Please look at KudosCycles.com
Its available on special offer up until Christmas for £645.00-we need the space!
KudosDave
ps I am 17 stone,6ft tall and 34" leg....the Safari feels easy for me to ride

Last edited:

wcc

Thanks for advice.
Although all these bikes look great I'm still somewhat concerned.
My weight is approx 120kgs, the bikes mentioned state 100 kgs is max rider weight, although Freego tell me the Eagle would be okay as long as I didn't rely on constant throttle, which I wouldn't.
Hi,

I am 17 stone 5"11 i ride the new martin from Freego this bike assists me no problem up massive hills.I believe all Freego bikes use the same motors.
Believe me, mine takes me around no problem at all.

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
New to this site but looking at selling my Sirocco2 to upgrade to the Sirocco CD am I making the right move towards a crank driven e bike any advice would be much appreciated just read the post (mjwobble)
Incidentally I live in Torbay and is renowned for it's hills I have 4 back and forth to work, what do you honestly think anyone out have the Sirocco CD how has it been for you and your thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated I am a fit 45 Y/0 just a slight knee issue hence the Ebike I am 5ft 10 and 11.5 stone

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Big Al,

If you can get up to North Devon I have a Wisper 706 Alpino you can try out to see what you think. It's a really good bike (mine is 2 years old). The Bike Shed (Exeter, Crediton and Barnstaple) sell Wisper so you should be able to get / try out a new one from them reasonably locally. I also have a Juicy Bike Classic step-thru (2014 model) which has a throttle if you want to compare. For hill climbing the Kalkhoff crank drive bikes are better but they do not have a throttle. It would be best to try out some different bikes to get a feel for what feels best for you. Most (but not all) people although they think they want a throttle, never actually use it. PM me or contact me via my website if you are interested in trying out any / all of these.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Big Al,

If you want a bike with plenty of torque, throttle, robust stepthru frame, quality components, large capacity battery, the eZee Sprint can't be beaten.

It is priced at £1375 with the standard 14Ah battery and even if you wanted to upgrade capacity, the optional 20Ah battery you would still come bring it well within your budget.

It is also available with a dual battery setup for even greater range should you need it.

The high torque eZee motors are designed and manufactured inhouse to the highest standards.

eZee Sprint 8 - electric bikes and conversion kits

Last edited by a moderator:

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
the alienocean typhoon states a max rider weight of 140kg but it's not step through, I'm sure they could sort you a similar build out with a step through frame and well within your budget

I can vouch for the torque of the ezee bikes but they're mostly limited to 120kg rider weight, ideally you could have a few test rides

TETS

Apr 6, 2007
Hi Big Al

The Wisper 705 Classic is a great bike and I can confirm it still has throttle only option. All Wispers are now built in Germany so the build quality is great. I really like them. The finishing kit is great and the power is incredibly smooth. Not only that but Wisper are great guys to deal with should you ever need any warranty or parts stuff sorted. They have just merged with Freego too so are now called Freego Wisper Group and are distributors for Reiss & Muller, Grace, Birdy, Wisper and Freego so are a force to be reckoned with

I would also recommend you look at the Smarta LX. It is the current electric bike World Champion and has no upper weight limit for the warranty.

Some people have complained on here in the past about people promoting their own products and services so I'll be straight with you. The Smarta bikes are out own products. We designed them and we're proud of that fact. Especially as for a budget / mid range bike starting at about £1150 for the first throttle option model they were beating some way more expensive gear.

It's a free country and you don't have to take my word as gospel but if you want to try Wisper and a Smarta side by side you're more than welcome. We're in London, Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge and York if you fancy putting them both through their paces!

Oh, and if you want to see the Smarta winning the champs it's on Youtube here: Electric Bike World Championship Final Race - YouTube

Cheers

Matt
The Electric Transport Shop

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Big Al,

Both the Wisper 705 classic or FreeGo Eagle would be suitable for what you require. Personally I would go for the Wisper as I prefer the looks and the bike specification is better plus the motor is more powerful. We sell both plus our excellent service so give us a call if you have any more questions, more than happy to help.

Good luck with the search. There are plenty of good bikes to choose from :D

David

Big Al

Oct 1, 2013
Hi David,

I've looked at the Eagle at a local dealer. It's okay but I'm concerned that spec states 100kg rider weight. I'm 120kg so am swayed toward the Wisper .

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi David,

I've looked at the Eagle at a local dealer. It's okay but I'm concerned that spec states 100kg rider weight. I'm 120kg so am swayed toward the Wisper .
Hi Big Al,

It might help if you could state what kind of journeys you will be using the bike for and your rough location.

I have a 705e as advertised in the classified section of the forum, you would be welcome to come to try it out for size. I am located in Milton Keynes not a million miles from Cyclezee so you could try out their bikes as well.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Big Al,

It might help if you could state what kind of journeys you will be using the bike for and your rough location.

I have a 705e as advertised in the classified section of the forum, you would be welcome to come to try it out for size. I am located in Milton Keynes not a million miles from Cyclezee so you could try out their bikes as well.
Good suggestion Shem, only not this week, we are closed from today until next Monday.

With regard to Big Al's weight, I make 18 stone to be approximately 15Kg, so within eZee's limit of 120Kg, basically you break the frame under normal use we replace it;)

Big Al

Oct 1, 2013
I would use the bike mainly for pleasure riding around the local area which includes a few nasty hills. I live nr Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
With regard to Big Al's weight, I make 18 stone to be approximately 15Kg, so within eZee's limit of 120Kg, basically you break the frame under normal use we replace it;)
You mean 150 kg, don't use weight watchers scales.

18st = 114kg 305.28g

graham49d

Oct 21, 2013
Hi All

I am a new member with no great knowledge of e bikes but after heart surgery last January decided to purchase one as part of my new exercise regime. I first discovered them at an Eden Gardens Eco show early in the year and had fun test riding a few. I am 142kg so was put off by the weight restrictions most quote but found the pro rider etourer on ebay quoted 136 kg and after a visit to their showroom for a test ride ordered one in June. I have now done over 700miles (fitted a speedo) I am very happy with it. They do not seem to get much mention in the trade press, maybe the mobility link is off putting.It does everything I want without breaking the bank. Getting 25+ miles a charge, low power, pedel , flatish terrain. With hills and headwinds just over 20 miles. There is one hill locally I have to dismount for a few yards but otherwise it gets up most with pedel assist. I will admit that I had 3 rear spokes break at the hub over a three week period but a phone call to pro rider had spares in the next post without hassle so back up seems good. I have been round the wheel and "tuned" it and hopefully the problem has gone away. Whether it was my weight or faulty tension I do not know. Anyway for the price it is worth considering. As a follow on a chap in the town rode a Thompson for three years and after seeing mine and a bit of a chat he purchased the same model and he much prefers it to his Thompson. He is a bit lighter than me and has not had any problems.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a reasonably priced run around.

graham49d