Which Ebike for daily school run with child seat for older child?

Ready Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2017
Portsmouth
Hi there. I'm hoping someone somewhere can help me narrow down my search for a suitable reliable electric bike. I'm looking to buy one with the intention of using it daily with our nearly 4 year old in tow for the school run that will start in September. I'll need to attach a rear child seat or front saddle seat for our daughter so I was wondering what model/s anyone could recommend for us. 2 round trips to the school would be 6.4 miles daily.

I have deteriorating hip joints so I've been advised not to ride an ordinary bicycle hence, my decision to buy an electric bike. One or 2 rotations to get the motor going would be okay but I wouldn't be able to do more than that. Our combined weight would be 80kg and I'm 5'7".
We don't have alot of money to spend so we're selling our car to pay for one so would likely have to take out a loan if the bike was more than £600 but I appreciate a decent one will probably cost more. I'd like whichever one we choose to come with a 2 year guarantee if possible.

Also, just to add to the fun, our daughter is nearly at the 22kg weight limit of most bike seats already(she's extremely tall) so there are only 3 I can find that will take her weight, one of which I'm hoping will be okay with whichever bike we choose. Please see the links below.
Please let me know if anyone knows of any other child bike seats for over 22kg as we're going to have to add a harness somehow to one of the ones listed below because a lapbelt won't be secure enough. Maybe a saddle seat on the cross bar?
https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-seat/gmg-yepp-bicycle-seats/gmg-yepp-bicycle-seat/gmg-yepp-junior-bicycle-seat/yepp-junior-bicycle-childseat-budget-black/
https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-seat/qibbel-bicycle-seat/qibbel-junior-6/qibbel-bicycle-childseat-junior-6-complete-grey-light-grey/
https://www.polisport.com/en/bicycle/products/baby-seats/?id=71&pid=212

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatfully received as this search is driving me round the bend!

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A trailer might beat the weight issue?
Any bike should be able to assist, the cyclomatic is around the cheapest but I don't know if it has a throttle, the wooshes would be high on my recommendation list with a retrofit throttle and bags of power.

Ready Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2017
Portsmouth
Thank you D8ve. I'll have a look at Wooshes.
I'm not too keen on the trailers. It makes me nervous that our daughter would be level with motor vehicle wheels if anything should happen. If we had more than one child I might be pursuaded out of necessity but for the time being I'm hoping I can find some kind of seat. Plus she likes talking - alot - and I wouldn't be able to hear her and vice versa.
I looked at the Mac Ride and the LOCT and either would have solved the seat problem but they're both out of stock until further notice. They're the only two I could find that come on a ready made bar to attach to the headset and seatpost.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thank you D8ve. I'll have a look at Wooshes.
I'm not too keen on the trailers. It makes me nervous that our daughter would be level with motor vehicle wheels if anything should happen. If we had more than one child I might be pursuaded out of necessity but for the time being I'm hoping I can find some kind of seat. Plus she likes talking - alot - and I wouldn't be able to hear her and vice versa.
I looked at the Mac Ride and the LOCT and either would have solved the seat problem but they're both out of stock until further notice. They're the only two I could find that come on a ready made bar to attach to the headset and seatpost.
Mum laughed as the cry faster daddy faster came from our trailer.