Which Ebike-Need Help

Pammy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 1, 2018
Manchester
Hello Everyone
Want an Ebike but now rather confused with all that's out there. I'm 5.1 and weigh 8st. 50 plus! Pretty fit apart from back probs so need upright style and step through. Have a Dawes Harlem few years now and love it apart from up steep hills, hence Ebike! Still keep pedal bike as I love it. Tried Juicy bike, guy said the Roller was too big for me and recommended the Poco, small frame, small wheel, didn't like the look but was great to ride. Want a tradional looking one like my Dawes, looked on net at, GTech, Emu, Wisper, Eranger, Btwin, list goes on. On a good day can do 15-30 miles.
Hope someone knows the perfect Ebike for me.
Thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pammy, welcome to the forum. The Poco is a good bike and perfect for the shorter rider, the guys at Juicy will look after you. We too have a 24" bike that's available in red or blue and a 20" wheeled folding bike that would work well for you so loads of choice.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also have a look at the upright style Kudos Safari, suitable for riders as short as 4' 10", despite its 26" wheels.

Safari link

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Woosh Petite with a low profile saddle should fit your requirements.

It has 24" wheels, Dutch style sit up and beg frame and a choice of battery, 13AH, 15AH and 17AH.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Checkout new range of city bikes using small wheel, R&M Tinker is just one example, lots of other manufacturers doing similar bikes.

Tinker can support rider height range of 4"9 to 6"4 , so whole family can use it.

Pammy

Nov 1, 2018
Manchester
Thankyou so much everyone. Some nice ideas, just looked at ebikes direct, lots of choice out there. Anyone any knowledge or owns one of the following, Powacycle Milan, Powacycle Windsor, Vitesse Step Through, Cyclotricity Sahara. Perhaps could just choose any for a test ride!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thankyou so much everyone. Some nice ideas, just looked at ebikes direct, lots of choice out there. Anyone any knowledge or owns one of the following, Powacycle Milan, Powacycle Windsor, Vitesse Step Through, Cyclotricity Sahara. Perhaps could just choose any for a test ride!
Some rather, er, average Chinese bikes there often offered with little or no service back-up.

A 24" wheel bike is a thought, but it's an uncommon size - you might find yourself nipping into a bike shop for a tube only to find they have none.

A 20" wheel bike on podgy balloon tyres rolls well and is compact enough for a smaller person to to ride and handle.

The Wisper 806 is not especially cheap, but you get what you pay for.

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/806-torque-folding-bike/

Stradaman

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2018
North West
Have you considered raliegh motus grand tour?

Upright step through
Good mid drive motor
Shimano Nexus 8 sp (Electronic gears)
Comes with front/rear lights&mudguards and pannier rack

Seems like a good bike and I've not heard any complaints about it.

Wheel size might be an issue (26") and Its expensive but again you get what you pay for.
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/motus-grand-tour-low-step-23033

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A 24" wheel bike is a thought, but it's an uncommon size - you might find yourself nipping into a bike shop for a tube only to find they have none.
what are you talking about? if Halfords have them then most LBSes have them.
This is the inner tube for the Woosh Petite:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/halfords-schrader-bike-inner-tube-for-24
If you are 5ft 1, then 24" wheels make sense. It brings the same speed, comfort, safety from a 26" or 700C bikes to suit your physique. 24" Dutch style step through bikes have the same geometry but scaled to about 90% of their 26" cousins. It is also lighter weight.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/halfords-schrader-bike-inner-tube-for-24
If you are 5ft 1, then 24" wheels make sense. It brings the same speed, comfort, safety from a 26" or 700C bikes to suit your physique. 24" Dutch style step through bikes have the same geometry but scaled to about 90% of their 26" cousins. It is also lighter weight.
Tyre choice for 24" wheels is limited, as it is for 20" to a lesser extent.

Tubes of all sizes may be on websites, but in practice are not that easy to find.

For example, my AVE bike takes 20" presta which I had to order - 20" schrader being more commonly available.

However you cut it, 24" is a cranky size.

Your constant advertising puff to the contrary is simply misleading.

As is so often the case.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wisest to avoid the two Powacycle's models, Milan and Windsor. Both are old designs, the Milan very old, and much bettered by other more modern designs. In addition, Powacycle's support has more often than not been a long way short of good enough as a number of members have found.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However you cut it, 24" is a cranky size.
I think saying 24" is cranky is going too far, plenty of bikes use them and tyres and tubes that size are easily available, even if not actually stocked by every little LBS.

The truly cranky one is the 22" size that's appeared on some Chinese made e-bikes sold here by Thompsons.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Lots of teenager bikes have 24" wheels (at least, they used to not that long ago), and I agree it makes sense for smaller adults.

• Agree

Pammy

Nov 1, 2018
Manchester
Thankyou, what your saying about safety and buying 24in inner tube make sense, like the whoosh petite and Wisper 205.
Thanks again

• Agree

Pammy

Nov 1, 2018
Manchester
Have you considered raliegh motus grand tour?

Upright step through
Good mid drive motor
Shimano Nexus 8 sp (Electronic gears)
Comes with front/rear lights&mudguards and pannier rack

Seems like a good bike and I've not heard any complaints about it.

Wheel size might be an issue (26") and Its expensive but again you get what you pay for.
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/motus-grand-tour-low-step-23033
Nice but price! Thanks