Which fat bike?

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
I want a fat bike -for me with two halves of feet the balance i get gives me confidence back off road - ive ridden non eleco fat bikes and agreed harder to ride on road, but this is a second bike to try and give me back some of my joy of off roading

I think im.narrowed down to theee

The bh awd big foot pro - dual motors so not road legal, but awd and traction control - legendary bh quality im sure and no suspension fork

Haibike fat six - always wanted a haibik, owbers love theme and the dealer support ia great nearby but 4 grand for the decent forks veraion is a lot of cash for a second toy

Ktm macina freeze - spec ia good, never owned a ktm but owners reviews seem mixed.

Now normally id just ride all three and buy the best but it doesnt seem i can ride any of these bikes ;( hopefully this post will get lots of responses from dealers with stock, but it doesnt seem right to spend 2.5-4k without riding first :(

Thoughts or opinions or info on who is holding stock fratefully received

Mar 9, 2016
I tried fat six last weekend.. Very impressive. If I was changing I,d get one of those. (hard tail, think 4inch tyres sort of make suspension redundi).
Not tried others.
Cant fault Haibikes..brilliant.

• Informative
Reactions: Deere John

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Interesting - id pretty much discounted the bouncer version - can i lockout the rear shock? If not its going to be painful when the battrry dies - do you have them st london/oxford shops - both easy enough for me (still surprised nothing to test at ebikeshop but guess the hsrdtails arent in yet)

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
We have them at both London and Oxford. Fresh out of the box. When would you like to test ride?

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I don't see a point in dropping 1k more for Haibike (Xduro FatSix) instead of KTM Macina Freeze. Bikes have almost identical spec. Unless the Ktm frame is unsuitable for you I'd save some money get the Macina Freeze.

Disclaimer: I own a Macina Freeze

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Hi thanks for input - any chance of thoughts/review/miles per battery/any problems etc? Ta in advance

Mar 9, 2016
I get 28 miles on very mixed offroad with 3 hard climbs...thats with bike on highest setting. Reckon I could do route and save 20% , ie using eco in flat,switch off down hill etc.
I,m running 22 psi in tyres, so I,d guess on fatbike you could equal it with 25 ish, and get worse with 10 or so..but I,m 105 kg...
On road I could easily get 40 miles,even I higher settings..
You wont be disappointed with range on any Haibike..I can get better range on my yam haibike than borrowed Motus..both have 400wh batteries. I do wonder if haibike are very conservative in their quotes for wh with batteries...I wouldn't be surprised if their 400 was nearer 450...

Problems
Think charging plug on yam versions is a bit small/ fiddly. Works fine but the Bosch has a bigger, more akin to a kettle plug..not an issue really.
The battery can rattle when in hard stony paths..cure with Velcro strap..Might not even be an issue with fat bike..will absorb more shocks...

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Broke my foot the day i picked it up and 12 weeks in plaster i'm just about healed enough to start riding - ask me again in 6 months