Which folding commuter bike

surfthewave

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
London
Hi, I have been thinking about getting a bike for commuting from south west London to the city. It is about 10 miles each way. Current thinking is to get a electric folding bike, due to the small storage requirement (even if I don't fold the bike but just lower the saddle / handlebar it still occupies less space than a hybrid).

For the experts here, do you reckon a folding bike will be sufficient for such purpose? In terms of comfort etc.

Can you please recommend me a good quality one? Note that my employer uses the cycle to work scheme so ideally it should be around £1000 or less.

Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hello surfthewave,

the Woosh Zephyr would fit your requirement.
It is very comfortable for the distance and has a good battery range, about 35-40 miles. The in-frame battery does not give away that it is electric, thus less attractive to thieves. It's better equipped than most folding bikes: strong motor, good shocks and hydraulic brakes front and rear.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

surfthewave

Aug 2, 2017
London
Hi woosh, I should have added that I prefer small bikes , ideally with 20" wheels so the above zephyr2017 would be too big. Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Small 20" wheels are not good for potholes which you will have over the 20 miles a day. The suspension forks won't be good enough, the weight is the same for a larger wheeled bikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can convert any bike to take up minimal space by changing the stem clamp screws to quick-release types. half a turn on each of these will clamp/unclamp your handlebars to rotate them round in line with the bike. Change the pedals to folding ones, and the bike will then be flat against a wall. That's very handy if you keep your bike in a flat, hallway, etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-6-8-10-12-Clamping-Lever-Machinery-Adjustable-Locking-Threaded-Handle-Knob-/382098561640?var=&hash=item58f6d95a68:m:mSrfkbQrnVRrWjGpuJ66ZKQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultralight-Paired-Aluminum-Alloy-Bicycle-Mountain-Bike-Non-slip-Folding-Pedals/201891022385?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20140122125356&meid=4e0118961039498ab916312df7fbf55d&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=112236305445

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
folding bikes are allowed in trains.
That's a consideration when you live and work in London.

surfthewave

Aug 2, 2017
London
Small 20" wheels are not good for potholes which you will have over the 20 miles a day. The suspension forks won't be good enough, the weight is the same for a larger wheeled bikes.
Hi, I am more concerned about storage , which was the reason for a smaller wheeled bike.

I do see a lot of people riding folding bikes in London.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
It is worth checking out C H White & Son - www.foldingbike.biz. They do Dahon & Bickerton conversions which are of a high standard. I have had two bikes from them, the first in 2007 which was a Dahon Mu conversion & which I used to get to and from work for nearly 7 years.

• Informative
Reactions: JimRides

surfthewave

Aug 2, 2017
London
folding bikes are allowed in trains.
That's a consideration when you live and work in London.
Hi Woosh, I just did a forum search and it appears you have a model zephyr c, which is not listed on your website. Is it a new model ? Seems quite interesting to me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
zephyr C is out of stock, only have the demo left, which I use to ride about at the moment. Next arrival will be in December. The next batch will have 13AH battery.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, we work with a few, except two big ones: cyclescheme.co.uk and Halfords. Please don't ask why.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
yes, we work with a few, except two big ones: cyclescheme.co.uk and Halfords. Please don't ask why.
Why?

Couldn't resist that.

Presumably, you told the OP a small-wheeled bike would struggle for his application because you believe that to be true, not because you have no stock of them.

Hi, what's the main difference between the se and torque version?
Something to do with the controller, and possibly one or two other things.

David from Wisper will give you the fine detail, but relisitically it matters not.

Both shove you along in one way or another, and the dearer bike is way outside your budget anyway.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We have a couple of folders with 20" wheels, participate with most Cycle To Work schemes and can let you pay for upgrades separately if you want to exceed the £1000 limit.
BUT a bike that suits one person will not suit everybody and you should certainly test ride.
If you want to try ours then we have a stockist in Dartford, who also stock several other brands including Wisper, mentioned by Rob above.
You can get details on our website.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi, what's the main difference between the se and torque version?
SE has cadence sensor & the Torque has a switchable dual system of cadence or torque sensor.
Cadence (pas) just requires gentle rotation to activate drive whilst torque gives more the more you pedal. Also has 1.95" balloon tyres which should provide a decent ride.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Presumably, you told the OP a small-wheeled bike would struggle for his application because you believe that to be true, not because you have no stock of them.
I have the 20" Gale and 16" Gallego in stock.
I don't recommend them because for commuting 20 miles a day, 6,000 miles a year, only the toughest bikes will do.

If you compare the specs of the Gale versus the Zephyr 2017, motors and batteries will do 40 miles but they are not built with the same mechhanical components. The zephyr has Suntour XCM fork with preload adjust and hydraulic lock, the crankset is forged alloy, 8-speed rapidfire shifter, 44T front 11T-32T rear on 26" wheel for high speed, hydraulic brakes with 180mm rotor at the front.
Can you find a better equipped folder for the money?

Last edited: