Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
My bike

Its an old LA Free (age unknown) my dealer took it in as a trade in on the new Li ion powered model.
It is my first electric bike and it cost me £450 with a brand new battery so I guess I actualy only paid £200 for it.
I am very inpressed with the performance, it makes some funny noises at times but has not let me down yet.

my dealer has also furnished me with all his "dud" batterys, so far I have the brand new one (unused) and four "suspect" batterys that, after work on (ok I charged them up and then ran them through a series of charge and full discharge cycles) are working well, and one I re-celled using the cells from a defective warranty suade battery (still got 10 cells left to play with looking for another dodgy suede battery).

And one (not very good) built from the best cells from two completely dead lafree batterys.

I thought that my days of cycling were over due to health problems but not so!!

only had it a short while but already considering upgrading to the Kalikoff When funds permit.

Very very pleased.

Cheers, Mark.

Carol

May 19, 2008
Our bikes our Shwinn Stream Line, we had the Giant La Free for 5 years and changed them for the Shwinn in September last year. Carol.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Kalcoff agattu owner
70 years old (me not the bike) bought after reading most of this forum...
read a post by flecc seemed to fit wot I wanted..live in Cornwall where most of the hills I missed when I was young seem to be located..most magical machine (for me) I have upped my game in the last week(is only that long) managed over 120 miles so far, just dun a one in three(called DONKEY LANE) read Fleccs report on this machine, it is more considered than mine and probably more accurate. (crashed twice once due to alcholol, once due to over ambition on the costal path)((after this post not too shure about my waranty prospects.

readingaloud

Jun 2, 2008
6300 Zug, Switzerland
Biketec Flyer T8 premium. They're made here in Switzerland, and they're avaialble in lots of bike shops, though it still took 2 months to get one in my preferred size and trim. This is my first electric bike--I haven't been riding since I got to Switzerland because I'm not up to the hilly terrain, so it's a treat to be back on the road. --Dan

Ben

Just Joined
May 22, 2008
Kalkhoff pro connect

I've just bought the above and started cycling 25 miles round trip. Some of its up hill but not all however the battery runs out around the 25 miles. Is this right as 50 cycles quote 80km

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
jUST BOUGHT A SILVERADO
For Jenny(partner) was necessary due to hip giving up, needed step thro light, possible power when not peddling in Emergency.
Tried it out briefly seems to fit the bill, havent mastered the mechanics yet ..there is a switch on the handlebar, i'm going to have to ask Flecc about.
The bike is well made..folds well, is very light and quite nice to pedal without power...has 6 gears. riding position is surprisingly good, have tried some folders (time ago) which were pretty horrendous on a ride of 20 miles or so....have only done 10 miles today as it rained and blew badly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just bought the above and started cycling 25 miles round trip. Some of its up hill but not all however the battery runs out around the 25 miles. Is this right as 50 cycles quote 80km
Hello Ben. Make sure you condition the battery by fully charging and then using all or nearly all of the content at least twice. That will enable it to reach full capacity.

Once that's done the minimum range should be about 30 miles in standard mode, depending on the hills in your area and your weight. Most riders will get around 35 miles, and by using the off switch or Eco mode when the going is easy it's possible to get to around 50 miles (80 km). If you use power all the time plus high power mode sometimes during that, you're unlikely to get anything much over 30 miles (48 km).

These sort of figures have been confirmed on the similar Agattu by both A to B magazine and myself during testing.

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Just bought a Sun Lova folding bike off ebay.
Very pleased with it and pretty good value.
The ebay dealer gave excellent service and very quick delivery.

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
Sparky Carerra

Have bought a carerra from Halfords and rode it to work for the first time today. Loaded it up and set off for the 14 miles. Used to do it on an unpowered bike, 70 minutes was good. Today 60 minutes, not so tired, not so sweaty. two of the three led's out on arriving. Back too was good 4 miles of steady up hill, no problem. Brilliant.
chess

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Have an Aggatu...Read Flecc..nothing to add

Have a Silverado..for Lady J (partner 5' 2" bad hip) am most surprised (as an Aggatu owner) just how good this bike is for riding, folding, pedaling without power cannot imagine a better machine.

Boo

Jun 27, 2008
Plunge taken

well that's it then.
I've taken the plunge and bought the 45cm wave pro connect
due to arrive next week as its in stock

Still can't believe there are bikes out there that will get me uphill and probably won't believe it until I have acheived it.:confused:

I look forward to being impressed and amazed...:)

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Alien Cruiser. Seems very competent so far (one month's usage) and a more than adequate hill climber for Sheffield's fearsome hills.

Greg

JohnW

Just Joined
Jun 21, 2008
I own a Giant Boulder about 6 years old to which I have fitted the 36V Alien Kit. I have since converted my wife's Claude Butler of similar vintage. I have used mine a few times for the 9 mile commute to work and my wife for a couple of trips out with me therefor its early days yet. There was a bit of work involved in the conversion and if anybody is interested I will happily go thrugh the process. Suffice to say bith our bikes have RST forks and the motor didn't quite fit. First impressions great machines lots of fun.

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I guess those of us who own them should get Cytronex on the list - so count me in.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
When I first read the poll I ticked "other" for Urban Mover. That was a long time ago. Now I don't have the UM, I have a Heinzmann. I wonder how many other people have changed bikes since the poll started. Also, does it allow for more than one entry, for people who keep a stable of bikes? Maybe time for a new/ revised poll?

Mary

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, I think an updated poll is overdue & might be interesting, especially right now, and multiple entries a good idea if possible :).

Would a new poll also be more fully representative(for the forseeable future) if it could have main categories by motor type eg panasonic, and then sub-categories (if possible) by make eg kalkhoff, raleigh, giant, other etc. because the number of different bikes with same motor is multiplying eg cytronex & nano brompton using tongxin, a number of suzhou bafang motor bikes & increasing numbers of kit bikes too, all falling into the 'other' category currently...

Please post any ideas in suggestions for an updated poll. :)

Thanks,

Stuart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisers