Who breaks in new rotors and pads?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Got new rotors and pads arriving this weekend. Lots of opinions on the web, about whether to break in new rotors and pads. Some say it's essential, some say just go out and ride.

So, who on this forum do break them in, and do you think it helps with braking efficiency and noise?

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I have always broken in new brake pads on my car and also do on my bike..... I had a KTM e-bike which was my first bike with hydraulic Disc brakes and I found the brakes amazing. I have just bought a new Cube e-bike and on my first ride I thought the brakes were poor... However having broken in the pads and rotors, I find the brakes are every bit as good as my "old" KTM.
So my thoughts are that if you get a new bike, or replace pads and rotors, please don't expect them to stop you as quickly as the old ones as they need bedding in.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
I always allow brakes to bed in. Though not as critical on modern items due to tighter tolerances, you are putting a lot of stress through the brakes... an item you have fixed on and want to rely on. Don't forget to wipe the rotors over with brake cleaner to remove any post manufacture coatings.

John

• Useful
Reactions: Fordulike

Advertisers