Whoosh Karoo quick Review

oniontrololol

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2016
You must ride for the majority of time above the assist speed? and then I wonder if there's any point to having electrical assistance?
Oh yes I tried to to ride the bike un-assisted and it was hellish. There's definitely a point having electrical assistance as it makes the whole commute journey a breeze. I ride on an average of 24km/h.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Even if you have the 15 Ah battery*, you're only using 6.4 watts of power per mile which is extremely low. Many consider that sort of level as not worth having e-power, perhaps better done with a light, free running unpowered bike at much lower cost and less to go wrong.

* If you have the standard 13 Ah battery it's 5.5 watts per mile.

Reactions: Artstu

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The battery has a label with capacity.

oniontrololol

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2016
Even if you have the 15 Ah battery*, you're only using 6.4 watts of power per mile which is extremely low. Many consider that sort of level as not worth having e-power, perhaps better done with a light, free running unpowered bike at much lower cost and less to go wrong.

Thank you for your input, I do have the 13Ah battery, I have borrowed my neighbour's carbon bike (9kg) and it was still exhausting to commute on. Therefore I made the decision to buy a ebike :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for your input, I do have the 13Ah battery, I have borrowed my neighbour's carbon bike (9kg) and it was still exhausting to commute on. Therefore I made the decision to buy a ebike :)
Each to their own of course. You must still be putting in quite a lot of effort to make up the difference. Wouldn't suit those who like a lazy life! :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

If you are over 60 it is worth it every kilometre... I do about 6.75 and in the summer with the heat of the yellow sun (something we don't have on Krypton...) on a good day up to a watt less. It' the hills flecc! Riding down you use 0 watts and on the flat depending on mood and how you are feeling not much more than 1 or 2 which leaves you fresh for the climbs so you help the motor out a lot. I have gained about 90 W extra power in my legs according to the onboard watt meter. This shows on my tummy...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It' the hills flecc!
I live in a very hilly area, the North Downs, but despite being an unpowered rider of many years in the area and not braking downhills unless essential, on an e-bike I expect to use about 12 or more watts per mile. At 6 or less watts per mile I wouldn't bother with the costs and complexities of electric.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You are 20 years older than me and towing a huge trailer

Normal you are using 5 watts more :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You are 20 years older than me and towing a huge trailer
But I wasn't 20 years older in 2003 when I started using electric straight from riding the same area unpowered for many years. And the trailer towing, 6 miles usually once a week, was a tiny proportion of my mileage.

When we've had questions about range etc, the average consumption rate has been about 12 W per mile and A to B have reported the same from their years of experience. A few get down to around 8 W/mile while others go as high as 24 W/mile, but very few get down to 5 or 6. That just seems hardly worth it, given that even the weaker riders pump out 100 watts average.

I'd rather more than halve the bike weight to make better use of my own energy alone.

oniontrololol

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2016
i am the type of person who don't exercise at all, so I appreciate the electric power boost when I go up the hills. I am glad I took on the cycling to work routine I feel so much healthier already!! (Psychologically at least)

Bad news today though, the rear tire have a puncture already.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think that I have very strong kiwi farmers son legs. When I walk I often walk marathon distances with very little effort (42 km @ 6 km/h = 7 hours). The motor helps me control body temperature and makes the ride enjoyable not some kind of living hell. Remember this is my means of transport not a sport.

Republishing for memory profile of ride to the citysaint-jean-de-luz-donostia.png
The first one is on the 14 km ride to the metro station and is just under 4 km long, the total distance is about 38 km. On the 2 rides there and back last year the battery conked out at 72 km which is just before the summit of the hill on the left of the image. 10.4 Amp battery = 6.92 W/km. Do it in jeans but I do swap my city shirt for an airy running T-shirt while on the bike.

I can't do that on my bike without a motor. I tried once it almost killed me and took forever. Maybe I could with a decent road bike or even a 28" trekking bike with the correct gearing. Back in the day no doubt about it. Question is would I want to now? I think you know the answer to that.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They hold air 10 times better than tubes made in China.
One hundred times better!!! :rolleyes: I have pumped up my tyres exactly 5 times since June 2015 and 2445 km and each time there was very little pressure missing.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
10.4 Amp battery = 6.92 W/km. ------------------------------------Maybe I could with a decent road bike
Understood, that 7 is getting into the more worthwhile area. The secret unpowered is a good road bike as you say, and enjoying your own fitness for doing it. I've never enjoyed e-biking as much as I enjoyed my unpowered riding, it's just not the same.

Reactions: D C

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i am the type of person who don't exercise at all, so I appreciate the electric power boost when I go up the hills. I am glad I took on the cycling to work routine I feel so much healthier already!! (Psychologically at least)

Bad news today though, the rear tire have a puncture already.
Understood, you have to be fit to enjoy unpowered riding.

However, with the amount of work you must be putting in for that low consumption, you really are exercising a lot and you'll soon be very much fitter, not just feeling healthier but actually healthier.

I also recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Schwalbe tubes, far less future punctures and tyre pumping.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't think I have ever been a cyclist even back in the day I was riding a retired Tour de France racing bike. It was always just a means of transport. Oh I could still appreciate the ride on those machines compared to a vanilla "bike", kind of like the difference between the Fiat Panda and the Lancia Fulvia 1.3S it replaced....

oniontrololol

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2016
Understood, you have to be fit to enjoy unpowered riding.

However, with the amount of work you must be putting in for that low consumption, you really are exercising a lot and you'll soon be very much fitter, not just feeling healthier but actually healthier.

I also recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Schwalbe tubes, far less future punctures and tyre pumping.
Yea i get your point, its just it takes time before I am fit enough to ride unassisted lol. On day one with an unpowered bike I end up being sweaty and smelly at work which wasnt good, especially i had a meeting first thing in the morning! hahaha

Reactions: flecc

oniontrololol

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2016
I think that I have very strong kiwi farmers son legs. When I walk I often walk marathon distances with very little effort (42 km @ 6 km/h = 7 hours). The motor helps me control body temperature and makes the ride enjoyable not some kind of living hell. Remember this is my means of transport not a sport.

Republishing for memory profile of ride to the cityView attachment 13346
The first one is on the 14 km ride to the metro station and is just under 4 km long, the total distance is about 38 km. On the 2 rides there and back last year the battery conked out at 72 km which is just before the summit of the hill on the left of the image. 10.4 Amp battery = 6.92 W/km. Do it in jeans but I do swap my city shirt for an airy running T-shirt while on the bike.

I can't do that on my bike without a motor. I tried once it almost killed me and took forever. Maybe I could with a decent road bike or even a 28" trekking bike with the correct gearing. Back in the day no doubt about it. Question is would I want to now? I think you know the answer to that.
My god, thats some hills you got there! I won't be able to climb any of these!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Depending on the weather (shorts vs jeans) I manage 17-20 km/h average up both sides. When I started out in June I was riding up at 25 km/h but the cut off was set to 33 km/h which I understood at the time was the maximum speed the Mxus could deliver.

Now you understand why my next build will be a GSM mid-drive... :D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Negatives:
- The saddle hurts my ass very much.
That point goes to show how we are all different. I have found the saddle on the Karoo that I am currently using, to be possibly the most comfortable saddle that I have ever used.

I find the saddle as fitted to both my KTM Lycan and Ultra 1964 to also be superb, yet the saddle on the e-race P hurts like mad after just approx 10 miles of use.