Whyte Coniston (2016 model)

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
So I've had it a couple of month now, and am 400 miles in, with lights and mudguards added, so I reckon I can do a what's-it-like-to-live-with review.

Before I start, a bit about me, because I think a bit of perspective helps. I've been cycling since I was four years old, and have been cycling for 48 years. I'm not prepared to let on how old I am;). I'm what I'd call ergonomically incorrect; 6'4" with a disability that looks a bit like cerebal palsy, but isn't (I actually had a small stroke, either as I was being born, or shortly after). I have very little use of my right arm, my right leg is shorter than my left, with noticeable difference in muscle mass and I walk on my right toe, with my leg rotated in by almost 90 degrees. The point in saying this is there's very little that usually fits, or is comfortable off the bat, so I'm used to making do and adapting.

I'm not going to say anything technical about the Whyte Coniston as 1) I'm not technical, and 2) it's all readily available on the interwebnet if you're that way inclined.

In my exhaustive research of all things e-bikery, I'd never heard of, or come across a Coniston (so much for my usual level of homework!). But one popped up on eBay, and it was only 30 miles away, so I thought, in for a penny... and went to see it. It was only a few weeks old and was within my budget. I liked the look of it, took it out for a short ride, and was truly delighted with how comfortable and well behaved it was. I hadn't taken any money with me (on purpose) but by the time I got back, I knew it was the right bike for me. It's in fact the nicest bike I've ridden in over 20 years, full stop.

I have the large framed model (suits my 36" inside leg). I commute four miles to work on it, all tarmac and a fair chunk of cycle path. Weekends I venture further, and the longest ride so far has been 24 miles.

Battery life is variable, as you'd expect. The 24 mile ride was on the flat, or gentle inclines, with assistance either on medium or high. I started this ride at 62% battery and got back somewhere around the 5% mark. I can get about 40 miles between charges, but if I choose to do something more demanding, like go up over Beachy Head, then the battery can be gone in under 20 miles. It's all relative and I'm happy with the battery life. I like the way the battery clips sideways into it's footplate - it feels secure and rocks into place with a solid click.

The power delivery from the motor is very smooth and the unit itself quiet in operation. The LCD display is easy to use, intuitive, and there's a neat little horizontal bar that indicates how much assistance you're getting at any one time. On it's highest setting pedalling requires very little effort and I've yet to come across any hill that's steep enough to grind me to a halt, or slow me to much below 14mph for that matter. On 'normal' it's exactly that and feels like you're riding a bike without power assist until you really need it. Eco mode I don't really like at the moment as it feels like you've left the handbrake on - this is quite likely more to do with my level of fitness as oppose to an issue with the bike. With power assist off, I at least know I could get home on it, although I wouldn't like that to be too far.

The bike still has its original saddle. I have two Brooks B17 saddles (superb saddles btw) from previous bikes, but I haven't found the need to change because the Whyte saddle is really rather good.

It my first experience of disc brakes, but they have a great, progressive, feel to them, and they inspire confidence. I really must move the front brake lever over to the left side of the handlebar, so I can use both brakes at the same time. Adapting a bike is usually the first thing on my list, so it's a testament to the bike that I've not felt the need to do it yet.

Gear shifting is smooth and accurate and the range is good. Again, I really ought to move the shifter over to the left, and I'm sure it'd do me, and the bike, good. But I've found with the STEPS system I only really need one gear. I will get around to it. Honest.

I thought I'd probably lock out the front suspension as the most demanding thing it'll encounter is a 4" kerb, but I've found I quite like it the way it is.

Overall, the bike is a very well balanced, lovely ride. I'm riding it in all weathers (which I wouldn't have done on previous bikes) and still find myself looking for excuses to go out on it. Suffice to say that I am so chuffed with this bike, if anything were to happen to it, I'd go out and buy exactly the same bike just as soon as I could.

Negatives:

I don't think the tyres (Vittoria Randonneur Trail 700x37c) suit my style of commute as they are a little twitchy on damp/wet/frosty paving. I've got a nearly new Schwalbe Marathon Plus from my previous Claude Butler, which was certainly more suited (in my opinion), so I'll swap them over soon.

Problems:

I got what I initially thought was wear on the crank bearing, with the symptom of excessive free play. This however turned out to just be the motor to frame bolts loosening. I've nipped them back up and have had no reoccurrence.

It was remarkably easy to buy the wrong mudguards for this bike. Which I did. They still went on, so will stay there for a bit, but the front one is too short and the battery, and I, still get splattered, so I'll change them in due course.

I get the occasional EO10 error, but this seems usual for the Shimano system when first setting off in really cold weather. It's happened six times so far. Switch it off and on again (in true IT fashion) and it doesn't come back.

EO12 is being more of a nuisance. If the net is to be believed, it's a misaligned sensor magnet. The bike went back for a firmware update, which initially resolved it, but the problem has gradually crept back. It does it once first thing in the morning, then once in the evening on my homebound commute, and hardly ever in between. Switch it off and on again and all is well. It's a minor irritation, but I don't really notice it as I now switch the bike on, unlock it, and by the time I've put the lock in my bag, it's beeped at me so gets switched off and on again in quick succession, and all is well. Does it bother me? Does it heck, I simply like the bike too much!

So overall my first ebike experience has been a great one. I'm a complete and utter convert, and on my experience I'd recommend the Whyte Coniston wholeheartedly to anyone, without reservation.

Simple pic, which I'll improve on with a better one once the sun comes out to play or I'm near a nice view:

Gaz

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
E012: When you turn display ON make sure there is no pressure(feet) on pedals or they are moving.
Outside of this I occasionally get problem with display not turning ON. Unclip it and plugging it back normally fixes first time.
Also check battery discharge, on mine it discharges to 15% then goes straight to 8%. First battery went from 25 to 8%, was replaced under warranty.

Besides that it is brilliant drive, enjoy.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Thanks Trevor :)

I've tried every which way of turning the bike on, including with it on the kick stand, or stood more vertically as in the photo. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've also had the display not come on a couple of times. As you say, unclipping it works. Funnily enough, with mine, reseating the battery also sorts it - I was trying to work out if it was the battery or the display, but it's done it so infrequently I've not managed to work out what it is.

Gaz

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Resting your foot on the pedal at rest can cause an error message on crank drive bikes.

I believe that's because the torque sensor overheats.

It's not something you would routinely need to do, but could happen while waiting at traffic lights - foot on pedal/brake lightly on in preparation for a prompt restart.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing